• Palm O/S all the way!

76 55.88%
  • Windows O/S without question!

49 36.03%
  • Neither. They both suck.

11 8.09%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Of course, I was referring to WM vs POS as the thread refers to.
    LOL. Yeah, I may have strayed a little beyond the terms of reference I have used Palm OS Garnet, WM 5 and Symbian S60 devices in the last year though and think it really is worth noting that S60 gives you much of the power of WM (it's multitasking so it can do UMTS/HSDPA, you can get devices with integrated Wifi and GPS, etc, etc) but (IMO) it also has some of the simplicity and ease of use that many Palm users cite as the big advantage of Palm OS over WM. You also get to use Nokia hardware, which seems a notch of two above the Palm and HTC devices on the the quality scale, and get fantastic stability (my E61 is 6 months old and has *never* crashed and has never needed resetting because it's 'getting a bit slow'). There are downsides of course, the main ones being:

1) Absence of touch screen support. A deal killer for some. I find it a bit of a pain under certain circumstances but this is outweighed by having a UI that's completely stylus-free and by the greater clarity (especially in direct sunlight) of screens without the touch screen layer.

2) Nokia has no CDMA phones and no US frequency 3G GSM phones - both apparently consequences of the row with Qualcomm.

3) Going from S60v2 to S60v3 broke all of the third-party software and although it's getting better all the time there's still less software for S60v3 than there is for Palm OS or WM. The plus side of the software equation is that the stuff Nokia bundle (or which you can download for free from their web sites) is really pretty terrific (especially now that they bundle Quickoffice). The browser deserves special mention: it's light years ahead of PIE or Blazer.
    Last edited by marcol; 04/09/2007 at 04:00 AM.
    Won't even look at windows b/c the 240x240 screen reminds me too much of a Treo 600. So I voted PalmOS - which I have already invested $100's in applications.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Palm OS is nice and simple to run and takes up much less resources. I really like that. Win Mobile (I tried Treo 700wx) offers a lot of features but I could easily get lost in all the submenus, windows, etc. And everything is still running in the background even when I close the window, or so I thought.

It would be nice to offer the best of both worlds: simplicity of Palm OS and features supported for Win Mobile without all the registry keys and bloated software. Styletap isn't a good solution since it was buggy when I tried it but I'm sure things have improved much since I tried it.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    Quote Originally Posted by maceyr View Post
    Palm OS is nice and simple to run and takes up much less resources. I really like that. Win Mobile (I tried Treo 700wx) offers a lot of features but I could easily get lost in all the submenus, windows, etc. And everything is still running in the background even when I close the window, or so I thought.

It would be nice to offer the best of both worlds: simplicity of Palm OS and features supported for Win Mobile without all the registry keys and bloated software. Styletap isn't a good solution since it was buggy when I tried it but I'm sure things have improved much since I tried it.
    I remember when Palm OS and WM (then referred to as simply PocketPC OS) were really going head to head and the Palm OS camp would always call PPC apps bloated. But these days, POS apps can be just as "bloated" as WM apps due to support for more features and more graphics.
    True, Palm OS apps can be bloated as well. I tend to prefer the smaller and usually older versions over the newer ones myself since most updates are for support of the newer devices.

For now, I think I still prefer Palm OS since I did try hard to keep an open mind with the 700wx but couldn't get used to it. There were a lot to like but in the end, I still prefered the Palm OS.

Time will tell. I am one to say I am never that loyal to any one brand or company since things change so fast, especially with technology.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    The one thing about the Palm Os I love the most is Buttler & the ability to launch favorites apps using assigned keys from any application. It cracks me up to see my coworkers with WM try to beat me into an app. Now Im not saying WM devices canít do it to, honestly I donít know but I do know that Arcade reality makes them drool & bow in envy
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123