View Poll Results: Vote for Palm O/S or Windows O/S

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Palm O/S all the way!

    76 55.88%
  • Windows O/S without question!

    49 36.03%
  • Neither. They both suck.

    11 8.09%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46
  1. #21  
    same here, surprised to see so many converts here. i think that some of those that voted for windows mobile probably are new treo owners who haven't ever used palm.
  2. Me2
    Me2 is online now
    Me2's Avatar
    Posts
    185 Posts
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum View Post
    Then there's that great benefit of "multitasking" with WM.....yeah right....right now, on my 680 with the antiquated Palm OS, I am running Chatteremail (push mail) while listening to streaming radio over the internet (pTunes), while browsing the internet....all at the same time. How much more "multitasking" can you really stand on a stupid phone!

    Cheers!
    Now try making (or receiving) a phone call. Oh dear. Say goodbye to your downloads and mail sessions. PalmOS can't do data and voice at the same time. Seems "stupid phone" (your words) is bang on then.

    Try running TomTom (or any other "normal" app) then answer a call on the speakerphone. Or read an SMS. Or lookup a phone number. Oh dear again. To get to any other app, even the launcher, the foreground application bails out. So you have to restart it from scratch. In TomTom's case, that means waiting for the maps to reload, for the bluetooth link to be re-established to the receiver, then for it to work out your current position, and re-calculate your route. By which time you've probably missed your turn-off. Great fun while driving, that is.

    So tell me again what's good about PalmOS's "mutli-tasking"?
  3. #23  
    I voted for option 3 even though, overall, I wouldn't say that either 'sucks'. I voted that way because I'd rate Nokia's S60 (which is Symbian-based) as better than either Palm OS or WM. In my experience, it has the best blend of power, ease of use and stability.
  4. Me2
    Me2 is online now
    Me2's Avatar
    Posts
    185 Posts
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by jinx View Post
    same here, surprised to see so many converts here. i think that some of those that voted for windows mobile probably are new treo owners who haven't ever used palm.
    Not so, I've used Palms faithfully ever since the original US Robotics Pilot. All you're seeing is that technology and its users (and even Palm) have moved on. Most of us have got fed "making do" with a 10 year old OS, which has had so many hacks added to make it "multimedia" capable, it's become far more unstable than any of the evil MS systems we used to berate.
    Ever since it was clear that Cobalt would never see the light of day, it has been obvious that PalmOS is dead, whether we like it or not.
    Maybe the Linux based PalmOS will provide a viable alternative, but that's still a pipe dream, just like when OS6 was promised for 2003. Even Palm realise we can't wait forever, which is why they now make Treos with Windows.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by jinx View Post
    same here, surprised to see so many converts here. i think that some of those that voted for windows mobile probably are new treo owners who haven't ever used palm.
    By your reasoning, one could state that some of those that voted for Palm OS have never used WM.

    I started off with Palm OS and switched between the devices for a while. I settled on WM after my final experience with Palm OS (Treo 650). Compared to Palm OS, W5 has superior customization, power, multimedia, 3rd party apps, and GUI.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by jinx View Post
    same here, surprised to see so many converts here. i think that some of those that voted for windows mobile probably are new treo owners who haven't ever used palm.
    A lot of people on these boards that use WM Treos came from PalmOS Treos like me. Just read through the posts and you will find tons of people writing about the migration to WM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  7. #27  
    When I convert, you will know that Palm has been dead for many years.









    (That 10 year library of Palm software and know-how is a powerful magnet.)
  8. #28  
    Palm is winning now...WUHAHAHA
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Me2 View Post
    Not so, I've used Palms faithfully ever since the original US Robotics Pilot. All you're seeing is that technology and its users (and even Palm) have moved on. Most of us have got fed "making do" with a 10 year old OS, which has had so many hacks added to make it "multimedia" capable, it's become far more unstable than any of the evil MS systems we used to berate.
    Ever since it was clear that Cobalt would never see the light of day, it has been obvious that PalmOS is dead, whether we like it or not.
    Maybe the Linux based PalmOS will provide a viable alternative, but that's still a pipe dream, just like when OS6 was promised for 2003. Even Palm realise we can't wait forever, which is why they now make Treos with Windows.
    Hey Me2!

    Yes Colbalt was a 2 to 3 year derailment -- but Palm has not given up on the PalmOS nor it's 10 year in the making developer and user base. I believe you will see the Palm/Linux OS by Feb 2008 or sooner.

    Going windows was a requirement of selling in mass quantities to businesses. Internal IT departments did not want to deal will with a "2nd" OS. To sell in the hardware -- they had to offer the windows alternative. . . . . . . . . ."No, one ever got fired for choosing a Microsoft solution." is the old IT catch phrase. . . . . . .

    Cheers, Perry.
  10. #30  
    PalmOS can't do data and voice at the same time. Seems "stupid phone" (your words) is bang on then.
    Neither can WM5 on Cingular unless your in a 3G market. I can't for the life of me recall ever needed to surf the web while chatting on the phone anyway!

    Or lookup a phone number. Oh dear again. To get to any other app, even the launcher, the foreground application bails out. So you have to restart it from scratch. In TomTom's case, that means waiting for the maps to reload, for the bluetooth link to be re-established to the receiver, then for it to work out your current position, and re-calculate your route. By which time you've probably missed your turn-off.
    Sounds like you a much more busy person that I am. I hope you don't wreck trying to control all that multitasking while driving. Seriously, I don't see this being a big issue for 99.999% of users our there.

    So tell me again what's good about PalmOS's "mutli-tasking"?
    I did that in my earlier post.

    The best thing about Palm's dead, aniquated, pathetic OS is that it just works It's a beautiful thing!
    Mike
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Hey Me2!

    Yes Colbalt was a 2 to 3 year derailment -- but Palm has not given up on the PalmOS nor it's 10 year in the making developer and user base. I believe you will see the Palm/Linux OS by Feb 2008 or sooner.

    Going windows was a requirement of selling in mass quantities to businesses. Internal IT departments did not want to deal will with a "2nd" OS. To sell in the hardware -- they had to offer the windows alternative. . . . . . . . . ."No, one ever got fired for choosing a Microsoft solution." is the old IT catch phrase. . . . . . .

    Cheers, Perry.
    Palm OS won't be going anywhere.

    Here's the thing though...when 320x320 WM6 devices come out, then that would be the obvious choice for any prospective treo buyer because you could basically "dual boot" the OSes via StyleTap. so effectively, due to the 320x320 res, you can have both OSes running.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum View Post
    Neither can WM5 on Cingular unless your in a 3G market. I can't for the life of me recall ever needed to surf the web while chatting on the phone anyway!
    Actually, the Palm OS just CANNOT perform simultaneous voice and data because of OS limitations. Palm may fix this, and if they do it won't be for some time and it'll probably introduce some other bugs. There's a reason why there are no Palm OS Treos out that can support UMTS/HSDPA

    Surfing the web while chatting is useful when you are planning something out w/ your friends, and you're looking up restaurants or directions. It's actually very handy.

    Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum View Post
    Sounds like you a much more busy person that I am. I hope you don't wreck trying to control all that multitasking while driving. Seriously, I don't see this being a big issue for 99.999% of users our there.
    How about when you're downloading a webpage and you get to a site where you have to enter in some info that you have stored in an ewallet like software or in your notes? Everytime you exit out of blazer, it basically shuts it down and when you go back, it has to reload everything (whether it's from the cache or redownloading for big webpages, it still has to reload). That's another reason why simultaneous voice and data won't work on Treos.

    Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum View Post
    I did that in my earlier post.
    And I did that above

    Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum View Post
    The best thing about Palm's dead, aniquated, pathetic OS is that it just works It's a beautiful thing!
    It just works when it's not resetting itself, or if you can live with the bugs that you're hoping Palm fixes in the next device
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Palm OS won't be going anywhere.

    Here's the thing though...when 320x320 WM6 devices come out, then that would be the obvious choice for any prospective treo buyer because you could basically "dual boot" the OSes via StyleTap. so effectively, due to the 320x320 res, you can have both OSes running.
    Styletap won't run all the PalmOS apps. For example, it won't run Chatter.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  14. #34  
    Now POS is pulling ahead.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Now POS is pulling ahead.
    Actually, in real life, it has fallen behind pathetically. I knew the Palm OS wouldn't keep up with my needs a long time ago (see my pda lineage). The Pocket PC always felt like an extension of my home and work PC rather than just a glorified organizer. I remember Palm and it's faithful saying "who needs color screens?", "multimedia, we don't need any stinkin' multimedia!". The Palm OS has been butchered enough to provide some of these things and really can't be stretched any further. In today's world of doing many things at once, the POS just can't compete.

    It's an age old question that ranks up there among the classics...."IBM vs Apple", "BMW vs MB", "Beta vs VCR", "iPod vs everything else" and finally "Palm vs WM". In the battle of the OS'es, it clear that WM has won the battle. It's not to say that the current Palm OS doesn't have it's place..it does. However, it's almost not even fair to compare the two OS'es since the POS in the final stages of its long and drawn out life.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    In the battle of the OS'es, it clear that WM has won the battle.
    Not in terms of marketshare it hasn't:

    Worldwide total smart mobile device market

    Q1

    Symbian: Q1 2004 41%, Q1 2005 61%, Q1 2006 69%
    PPC/WM: Q1 2004 23%, Q1 2005 18%, Q1 2006 12%
    RIM: Q1 2004 6%, Q1 2005 7%, Q1 2006 8%
    PalmSource/ACCESS: Q1 2004 22%, Q1 2005 11%, Q1 2006 ??

    http://www.canalys.com/pr/2005/r2005041.htm
    http://www.canalys.com/pr/2006/r2006043.htm

    Q2

    Symbian: Q2 2004, 41%, Q2 2005 63%, Q2 2006 67%
    PPC/WM: Q2 2004 23%, Q2 2005 16%, Q2 2006 15%
    RIM: Q2 2004, 8%, Q2 2005 7, Q2 2006 6%
    PalmSource/ACCESS: Q2 2004 23%, Q2 2005 10%, Q2 2006 ??

    http://www.canalys.com/pr/2005/r2005071.htm
    http://www.canalys.com/pr/2006/r2006071.htm

    Q3

    [Share by OS not descibed]

    http://www.canalys.com/pr/2005/r2005102.htm

    Q4

    Symbian: Q4 2005 63%, Q4 2006 67%
    PPC/WM: Q4 2005 ??, Q4 2006 14%
    RIM: Q4 2005 ??, Q4 2006 7%
    Linux Q4 2005 ??, Q4 2006 6%
    PalmSource/ACCESS: Q4 2005 ??%, Q4 2006 5%

    http://www.canalys.com/pr/2007/r2007024.htm

    Of course if you live in the US you might not have noticed...
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    Not in terms of marketshare it hasn't:
    Of course, I was referring to WM vs POS as the thread refers to.

    PalmSource/ACCESS: Q1 2004 22%, Q1 2005 11%, Q1 2006 ??
    Says it all.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    Styletap won't run all the PalmOS apps. For example, it won't run Chatter.
    D'Oh!
  19. #39  
    I'd be a big fan of Palm OS if it multi-tasked. That's the only reason I have to go with Windows Mobile.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

    eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

    DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    Styletap won't run all the PalmOS apps. For example, it won't run Chatter.
    It'll run enough to satiate most users.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions