1.    #1  
    I'm looking to buy a Treo 650 off of Ebay. My service is with Cingular wireless.

I've basically got three options:
    1. Buy a completely unbranded, unlocked Treo.
    2. Buy a Cingular branded Treo that has been unlocked
    3. Buy a Cingular branded Treo that is locked to Cingular.

Since I don't do any traveling overseas, any of these three options would be fine for me.

I know there are some advantages with having a phone unlocked, but in my case, are there any disadvantages to having an unlocked phone over a locked phone?
    Its more expensive.

But definately worth it if you want to change services.
    Zero.
    If it's not locked, it's easier to steal.
  5.    #5  
    Alright. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Well it's not like a locked phone can't be unlocked either....
    LOL. Had to think about that for a minute.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Unless YOU intentionally input the wrong unlocked code for 5 times, otherwise, it is unlockable. LOL.

Heck, can someone pls tell a thief how to distinguish b/t unlockable and in-unlockable device?
    Treo Maniac?
    I despise the branding that carriers put on a phone. I only put up with it when buying through the carrier saves me so much money that it's worth it. I usually go to an online unlocking/unbranding service (DaVinci Team for Sony-Ericsson) and remove the garbage the carrier slapped on.

I have a Sony-Ericsson V800 that was Vodafone branded. I couldn't stand all the Vodafone Live! crap and the splash screens so I unbranded it back to SE factory specs. It's now a Z800 and no Voda crapola. I bought my Treo directly from Palm since I'm with T-Mo and they're not offering Treos at all anymore. But had I bought one with Cingular branding you can bet I'd have spent the extra $50 or so to remove all that stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoluv View Post
    Unless YOU intentionally input the wrong unlocked code for 5 times, otherwise, it is unlockable. LOL.

Heck, can someone pls tell a thief how to distinguish b/t unlockable and in-unlockable device?
    It was a joke (like leaving your car doors UNLOCKED).
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    LOL. Had to think about that for a minute.
    bingo
    Quote Originally Posted by treoluv View Post
    Apparently that's not true. I had tried an unlock code that the provider insisted was correct more than 5 times. Actually, more than 10 times. Tried a service advertised on Ebay and unlocked it the first time. Although you have to wait longer for the phone to provide an entry method for the code, I'm convinced there is no 5 try limit.
    Gimme the P-Funk!
    ......cingular's the worse from buying all the rest of treo680 and branding them - my customers are all out of luck for the unlocked colors now.....boooo on cingular -

The only TREO VIDEO CAST on the internet!!!