1.    #1  
    Looks like Palm OS will be including Opera instead of blazer in their future products. Could this be for the next generation OS from Palm?

http://operawatch.com/news/2007/04/o...-the-palm.html
    Probably just for the "Hawking device" for now.

Damn Palm is cutting ACCESS loose. Did they run over Palm's dog or something?
    Doesn't Opera Require Java?

Then maybe the new Treos (or the Hawking Device) will have Java native on the device's ROM...
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post

Then maybe the new Treos (or the Hawking Device) will have Java native on the device's ROM...
    Yes, but I'm sure Palm will work a deal out with the Opera people so that Opera is coded in native PalmOS code without the need for java.
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post

Alot of versions of Opera don't. Like the Wii version. Or the Opera Mobile which runs on UIQ directly.
    Last edited by whatever7; 04/06/2007 at 08:26 AM.
    Opera is an awesome browser... I nearly jumped out of my seat when I saw that it'll be part of new Palms.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I think a more important question is what new palms are these? I haven't heard of any new Palm devices announced yet, let alone rumored....
    The article does not say Palm OS, it says Palm. Meaning company not OS - in addition the OS is referred to as Garnet.

Most likely it is for WM or a new device platform
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    I don't mind if they add Opera Mobile so long as they don't take away my precious Opera Mini.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    The article does not say Palm OS, it says Palm. Meaning company not OS - in addition the OS is referred to as Garnet.

Most likely it is for WM or a new device platform
    Sorry but no way Microsoft replaces pocket IE with Opera Mobile is ANY device EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwein84 View Post
    Sorry but no way Microsoft replaces pocket IE with Opera Mobile is ANY device EVER.
    Actually this is quite common. MS only provides the OS, the OEM customizes it whichever way they want to. The HTC Advantage (shipping) comes with Opera built-in, and the new Toshiba pocketpc phones also comes with Opera. The OEM's have much more freedom than Palm wants to let on, and are as free as Palm to modify the OS whichever way they want.

Surur
    This would be a smart move. I use Opera Mini on my bb 8703e (Sprint) and it blows any other browser away.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Actually this is quite common. MS only provides the OS, the OEM customizes it whichever way they want to. The HTC Advantage (shipping) comes with Opera built-in, and the new Toshiba pocketpc phones also comes with Opera. The OEM's have much more freedom than Palm wants to let on, and are as free as Palm to modify the OS whichever way they want.

Surur
    Actually this statement is not true. Microsoft requires any OEM who license Windows Mobile to leave pocket IE as the default browser. They CAN install Opera as a secondary browser but Palm wouldn't spend the extra money to license it when there is another browser already installed (and set as the default) on the system.
    Palm IS cheap that way, e.g. only providing bluetooth 1.2 (which MS provides) when HTC does bluetooth 2.0 themselves.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    This would be a smart move. I use Opera Mini on my bb 8703e (Sprint) and it blows any other browser away.
    Including the WM version (Windows Explorer) of the T700wx browser?