View Poll Results: When will the Treo 800 Release?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • October 07

5 16.67%
  • November 07

8 26.67%
  • December 07

17 56.67%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    UPDATED on 5/9/07!!! The Treo 755p is out on Sprint. Verizon is coming next, probably in June.

I JUST UPDATED EVERYTHING THAT WE NOW KNOW BELOW AS OF 5/9/07 - SO ITS WORTH A SECOND READ. Some clues are coming together. Please, if you have any patents or tips or links or ideas about the Foleo (or whatever their new product is called), post them as a reply. I have seen some really great patent speculation as far as the folding screen concept. I would love to see anything else that people have scrounged up from the 'Internets'. Its always fun to speculate and guess on patents .

To guess the future, sometimes you have to look at the past and the Treo's logical progression.

What we know.......about the Treo evolution:

1. Now that the Treo 755p is out, by the very end of this year we will see the Treo 800 on Sprint first. Sprint seems to be Palm's test bed for new devices and it seems like Palm has a strong relationship with Sprint just as Apple likes Cingular(Iphone exclusivity) and Motorola likes Verizon (first to have the 'Q') etc. Since Palm released the Treo 750 this past Jan(but it was supposed to be in December - it just ran late.) Considering Palm's old release schedule going back three years ago - it used to be April and Oct that new handhelds would release. I am going to say that their new schedule is May/Nov. I see releasing a new hot treo in December would be a disaster because they might not have enough stock for Christmas so therefore I am guesstimating a mid-to-late Nov release for the Treo 800. That gives them 6 weeks to restock carriers in the run up to Christmas.

2. Remember that a 'Treo 800' has been rumored for over a year as having a bigger screen, slide out keyboard - maybe something that resembles HTCs designs. With the Iphone's gorgeous screen and the old Lifedrives scren - I bet they go 480 x 320. We also know that this device will have built in Wifi (Ed Colligan said this) and also rumored GPS.

3. There has been a recent rumor about the next Treo being the 'Mercedes of Treos'. There have been some recent software announcements such as the Palm Backup service and Palm replacing Blazer with Opera Mini (its about time!). As well as the chatter email client being purchased by Palm. They are not only gearing up for a new form factor but a new standard experience. Lets face it - the apps that are standard today have been standard over three years. Looks like they are finally going to come out with their 'Web 2.0' apps to update their default software offerings.

4. There have been many hints that Palm is making their own Linux OS. Would it not be logical that if they are changing the form factor radically with the Treo 800, that they would introduce the new OS with that new form factor?? Hopefully a Linux OS that doesn't have lag or freeze with multitasking and the Zen of Palm simplicity. Now that would sell. UPDATE: Since I wrote this Palm announced their new Linux OS. The Rumors were correct. I am really looking forward to seeing this. They have seen what ALP, Apple, Microsoft and Symbian have done with their OSes so even though they release theirs last - it could be best of breed because they have had the chance to see what has worked and what hasnt with the competition. Remember that Palm bought the BE OS years ago and they still have Palm OS 6 (never released) sitting around. They said they have been working on this new OS for years. Since that is the case. Expect quite an upgrade of code and of course Multitasking!! Is this 2001? Hahaha. I would expect a Linux OS with a mixture of OS 5, OS 6 and the BE OS with a modern/slicker/shinier UI.

5. Competition wise - products like the Blackjack and the newer Blackberries are starting to outdo the treo design so they know they have to release something big this year as those products came out last year. And of course the dreaded Iphone that could really give Palm trouble if they are later then even 6 months after it debuts. I am a diehard Palm fan but I am not niave like some other Palm diehards. The iphone will sell and sell big and quickly. I know it will. And remember that its only Apple's FIRST phone and it blows away companies like Motorola and Nokia in functionality and sexy design who have been players for decades. Sex sells, the Iphone will sell big time even if it doesn't have 3G yet. Palm knows they must react. People are fickle and will change cell phone OSes quickly. It is not like going from Windows to Linux. People do change - think about all of the cell phones you have had for the past 10 years, you may have had 4 different OSes and not realized it but you still learned the phone. This goes in Apples favor and of course they are the king of usability. There was a news article that said AT&T has had 1 million inquiries about the Iphone and its not even out yet! That means big sales. Whether the Iphone is weak as a business device, remember the coolness factor. people will buy it just because of that and apple will make it much better in revision 2 and 3. It will be out next month. It is very interesting that Palm has decided to announce their new stuff about 2 weeks before the Iphone releases (5/28). The competition is heating up for sure. Sure the Iphone has weaknesses but it will still sell and if it doesn't have freezes and lag like the Treo 700p had - expect even some more casual Treo users to defect.

What we know about the Foleo, the third product line of Palm:

1. The name is a play on words for a folding device and a portfolio maybe.

2. It has two large screens and like the Nintendo DS they can work in tandem.

3. It most likely has a phone in it.

4. It works with the Sprint Wimax network

5. It employs Location Based Services applications which is really the future of mobile computing. If LBS is really in this device - it truly will differentiate it from the Treo line. LBS is really cutting edge. All kinds of new applications will be built around it. Imagine taking your device into a grocery store and it tells you what items in the store are on sale etc.........They also have some partnerships with Google etc - so I bet there will be some cool google apps in it (besides just maps).

6. It is made by Jeff Hawkins who tends to be 5 years ahead of everyone else in brainpower .

7. Hawkins said he will reveal some details about it at a conference on May 28th. I guesstimate that this device will release on Sprint on between Dec - March.

Sooo.......what do we know. Probably this Nov palm is going to release a brand new Treo form factor with its new OS (hopefully) AND release their Foleo line to replace the PDA line that is now extinct.

Ok - please don't criticize my speculating - I dont pretend to know all of the facts and maybe i have some inaccuracies above. But like you - I am craving a nicer Treo or the Foleo. Now that the Sprint 755/sherlock is revealed we know the next one is the 800. So it really is time to start saving for Q4 when we all hope that Palm will be back!

Please start the discussion - do you agree with my logical assumptions of what is coming next?
    Last edited by aweyrich; 05/09/2007 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Want to Update it. There is more relevant info on the speculated products.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Nice work, aweyrich. I agree with your line of thinking.

Competition wise, I fully agree that the iphone will sell and sell huge. People insist that many will upgrade to or buy the 755 despite its shortcomings, but that same supposition will wholeheartedly apply to the iphone, on a bigger scale, though. Like it or not.

As far as the folio, it would make sense for palm to debut the linux platform on the new hardware design. I agree that its probably going to be released at year's end.

I'm not sure the 800, or the mercedes line of treos will arrive this year though.
    Did palm state that as fact? I tend to think the rest of this year will be devoted to the smooth launch of Hawkins' new product, since it is critical to their future.

We will see, but on the whole, I think you're on the right track.
    Last edited by vw2002; 04/05/2007 at 06:55 AM.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    What I gather from the latest 3rd quarter financial report are these:

* Palm will make future Treo hardware that can install wm6 and pos5 easily.

* I have heard too many times that a new product coming. We should see a (bigger) device that has radio build-in from Palm this year.

* Access Linux Platform is probably not going to happen on the future Treo

* I wouldn't be surprised if Palm develop their own in house garnetOS emulator that will run on top of windows mobile in the future.

* There is no way Palm will make their own Linux platform. They may license it from ALP or Trolltech. Or they won't do it at all.
    Last edited by whatever7; 04/05/2007 at 08:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    * There is no way Palm will make their own Linux platform. They may license it from ALP or Trolltech. Or they won't do it at all.
    Where did you get that part. I thought a Linux platform was all but confirmed, out of the mouth of Hawkins evens?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Where did you get that part. I thought a Linux platform was all but confirmed, out of the mouth of Hawkins evens?

Surur
    This is my reasoning, most of the PalmOS5's major components were licensed or purchased from 3rd parties and patched together. DateBk, Kinoma. pTunes, google map, etc all of them are writen by third parties. They are also buying and bundling snappermail and an IM in the future IIRC. Also CJKOS and TomTom were bundled in some editions of Treo.

Remember when Palm use CJKOS they still owned PalmOS and they had their own version of Chinese software supoprt. But Palm decided not to use it becuase it didn't handle simplified and traditional Chinese properly. Same thing can be said to most of Palm's in-house application like media (renamed to "Picss&Videos") and traffic. They are horrible.

They can't wirte smaller software if their lives are depend on it how can you expect them to write a major OS overhaul properly!? If Palm is doing it themsleves then god save us all.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    What I gather from the latest 3rd quarter financial report are these:

* Palm will make future Treo hardware that can install wm6 and pos5 easily.
    Which is why they pushed MS into allowing 320x320 as a supported screen resolution

* I have heard too many times that a new product coming. We should see a (bigger) device that has radio build-in from Palm this year.

* Access Linux Platform is probably not going to happen on the future Treo

* I wouldn't be surprised if Palm develop their own in house garnetOS emulator that will run on top of windows mobile in the future.
    That is a very interesting thought and I'm sure that would make A LOT of people very happy. As long as it was stable

My responses are in bold.
    The Foleo is a neat name as it still has eo in it from TrEO.

Interesting.

Folding TrEO = Foleo.

Very interesting.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    I would probably run to buy such a device. I am an easy mark for a shiny new Treo. Especially one that could conceivably take the best of WM (multitasking, etc.) and PalmOS (320x320, more intuitive user interface, etc.) and do a plausible mashup.

("Pssst! Buddy! Wanna buy a Treo?" works really well with me since I've bought two GSM 650's, a 700wx, and a grey market 750 in the last 18 months, and that's for two people and we still own three of them).

That being said I wonder whether Palm, Inc. is going to follow Ericsson (a once mighty company) into hyphenated oblivion? Will Palm, Inc. be selling me my next phone? Or some bastardized agglomeration like Sony/Ericsson or HP/Compaq? I continue to wonder whether Palm, Inc. has (1) the capital resources; and (2) the management focus/willpower to keep the company viable as a minnow in a lake full of whales?

Yet I must buy the next Treo (755p doesn't count).
    New innovative device from palm

- breakthrough formfactor/design
    - Linux OS base
    - Classic Palm OS GUI with graphical facelift
    - Garnet emulation layer

They are going to do exactly what Apple did with the transition from OS 9 -> OS X.
    I have heard that the new device will be called the Oreo.

still has the 'eo' from Treo

New round form factor. biggier round screen. but the really clever bit: Top half is windows. bottom is palmOS.

interesting...
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post

New round form factor. biggier round screen. but the really clever bit: Top half is windows. bottom is palmOS.

interesting...
    Does it have built-in GPS?
    What about a antenna? I've got to have one of those!
    And 32 GB of memory.
    And a death laser.

And I have to be able to dunk it in milk.

"'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    http://www.mad4mobilephones.com/news/742/

Is this not the IDEA behind the Foleo a folding phone? looks like Samsung just got a patent on it.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post

interesting...
    ROTFL
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Does it have built-in GPS?
    What about a antenna? I've got to have one of those!
    And 32 GB of memory.
    And a death laser.

And I have to be able to dunk it in milk.

G#d d#mmit, be serious here! we`re talking about palm, alright!

Its going to have a GIANT frickin laser, not a death laser. And, it will be a gps device - short for "great piece of s$$t."

there will be fourteen sd slots, 4 infrared ports, 2 antennas and 2 keyboards.
    1 terabyte of memory, wifi, wimax, edge, umts, and evdo, will run linux, windows 3, 4, 5, AND 6. will also run palm os 3 , 4, and 5. the phone will be 3 mm thick. you can shave with it.

The screen will be BLACK AND WHITE, for the oreo fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by tj0827 View Post
    http://www.mad4mobilephones.com/news/742/

Is this not the IDEA behind the Foleo a folding phone? looks like Samsung just got a patent on it.
    Maybe Samsung is manufacturing the device for Palm...
    Either way it looks pretty interesting.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Hawkins also mentioned the successor to "the next big thing" recently.

The next big project will be "out of this world" in comparison to how we use our phones today. what are the consequences of having "satellite" driven communications devices?

The successor will have a frickin telescope built in, and will be donned as the palm "galileo" - for all those "eo" fans out there.
    you can focus in on the moon, capture a still shot of it and use it as a screensaver on your phone menu.

Unfortunately the telescope will only be 1.3 megapixels though... I know, I know...... curses..
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Actually, I have read at Engaget that it is a folding device. That the real unique quality about it - is the size.

It is tiny. Very tiny. It is small enough to fit snugly under the skin at the nape of the neck.

It shall be called the Neo.
    And Sony's clamshell Clie line could be a very early preview of what many are expecting next from Jeff Hawkins and Palm in regards to the mythical "Foleo" product; quite possibly a "FOLding TrEO".

http://palminfocenter.com/news/9346/...ony-clie-nz90/
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Sheer speculation, of course...but the clamshell Clies (NR/NX/NZ) were, in so many ways, far ahead of their time (thumboard, 2mp camera, wi-fi capability + BT etc) .

I really think someone is going to soon revisit the concept of a folding/clamshell smartphone and, aside from Apple & Samsung (who hit a near home run in the past), I couldn't imagine anyone else really being able to get it right on the first try.

Hawkins COULD have it in him again but I really question his motivation and desire at this stage of the game. And a great design is nothing unless it's mated to superb hardware--and as long as he's partnered with Palm, the matter of "superb hardware" is ALWAYS in question.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast