View Poll Results: When will the Treo 800 Release?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • October 07

5 16.67%
  • November 07

8 26.67%
  • December 07

17 56.67%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aweyrich View Post
    To guess the future, sometimes you have to look at the past and the Treo's logical progression.

What we know.......about the Treo evolution:

1. The Cingular GSM Treo 750 came out in January. The CDMA 755 with Sprint is coming out in June maybe. Soooo.........since that 750-755 antenaless design is pretty much out on both major networks and that design started really back in January. That means by the very end of this year we may see the Treo 800.

2. Remember that a 'Treo 800' has been rumored for over a year as having a bigger screen, slide out keyboard - maybe something that resembles HTCs designs.

3. There has been a recent rumor about the next Treo being the 'Mercedes of Treos'. If that is the case - I would expect a screen the size of the lifedrives.

4. There have been many hints that Palm is making their own Linux OS. Would it not be logical that if they are changing the form factor radically with the Treo 800, that they would introduce the new OS with that new form factor?? Hopefully a Linux OS that doesn't have lag or freeze with multitasking and the Zen of Palm simplicity. Now that would sell.

5. Competition wise - products like the Blackjack and the newer Blackberries are starting to outdo the treo design so they know they have to release something big this year as those products came out last year. And of course the dreaded Iphone that could really give Palm trouble if they are later then even 6 months after it debuts. I am a diehard Palm fan but I am not niave like some other Palm diehards. The iphone will sell and sell big and quickly. I know it will. And remember that its only Apple's FIRST phone and it blows away companies like Motorola and Nokia in functionality and sexy design who have been players for decades. Sex sells, the Iphone will sell big time even if it doesn't have 3G yet. Palm knows they must react. People are fickle and will change cell phone OSes quickly. It is not like going from Windows to Linux. People do change - think about all of the cell phones you have had for the past 10 years, you may have had 4 different OSes and not realized it but you still learned the phone. This goes in Apples favor and of course they are the king of usability.

What we know about the Foleo:

1. The name is a play on words for a folding device and a portfolio maybe.

2. It has two large screens and like the Nintendo DS they can work in tandem.

3. It most likely has a phone in it.

4. It works with the Sprint Wimax network

5. It employs Location Based Services applications which is really the future of mobile computing.

6. It is made by Jeff Hawkins who tends to be 5 years ahead of everyone else in brainpower .

7. Hawkins said he will reveal some details about it at a conference next month.

Sooo.......what do we know. Probably this Oct - Dec palm is going to release a brand new Treo form factor with its new OS (hopefully) AND release their Foleo line to replace the PDA line that is now extinct.

Ok - please don't criticize my speculating - I dont pretend to know all of the facts and maybe i have some inaccuracies above. But like you - I am craving a nicer Treo or the Foleo. Now that the Sprint 755/sherlock is revealed we know the next one is the 800. So it really is time to start saving for Q4 when we all hope that Palm will be back!

Please start the discussion - do you agree with my logical assumptions of what is coming next?
    I want to keep the same layout; only thinner with wifi and the linux garnet OS. I have looked at the slide out keyboards and I really don't like them myself. I guess they are selling. a slide down keyboard might be ok like the Samsung I-830.

How soon before Sprint will pick up the I-phone with EVDO? Palm will have something to worry about then!
    Hmm, as much as I paid for the Treos so far, especially the flawed 700p, it should be called:

FREEO

Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post
    I have heard that the new device will be called the Oreo.

still has the 'eo' from Treo

New round form factor. biggier round screen. but the really clever bit: Top half is windows. bottom is palmOS.

interesting...
    Hoo, boy, are you ever off your rocker. Everyone knows palmOS will be the top half. Get your facts right, ok buddy?
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    OK. This new device must be lighter! I left my phone at the office overnite, and I noticed that I didn't have to keep pulling up my jeans! I normally keep my phone in my pocket, and without it there, I didn't need my belt so tight, nor did I always have plumbers crack when I bent over. I thought I was getting fat. It was just the Treo! (Well maybe I am a tad heavier than 20 yrs ago)
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    How soon before Sprint will pick up the I-phone with EVDO? Palm will have something to worry about then!
    At least two years. AT&T and Apple are in an exclusivity agreement here, and everybody else is waiting to see if AT&T's gamble with Apple will pay off for them and not just Apple (since the former has bent over backwards to Apple's demands, a striking contrast to Palm's reaction to carriers).
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    At least two years. AT&T and Apple are in an exclusivity agreement here, and everybody else is waiting to see if AT&T's gamble with Apple will pay off for them and not just Apple (since the former has bent over backwards to Apple's demands, a striking contrast to Palm's reaction to carriers).

I can only say WOW, two years it too long! That should give Palm enough time to respond. But if Apple continues to improve their devices on a yearly basis, where does that leave Palm? I guess we need to see what the mystery device is!
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    I can only say WOW, two years it too long! That should give Palm enough time to respond. But if Apple continues to improve their devices on a yearly basis, where does that leave Palm? I guess we need to see what the mystery device is!
    I wouldn't count on either Apple or Cingular hold up to the 2 year exclusive deal, I simply don't think Apple will be bothered with the CDMA world, period. Kind of like how Aple repackaged AIM as iChat and never bothered with Yahoo and MSN.

If you want to have the "Apple experience", you have to do it the "Apple way."
    launch of Hawkins' new product
    What is his new product or hasn't he revealed it yet?

As for the new treo I believe it won't get along with other smartphones. Be very hyped and overrated and cost way too much money. It will be called the "T.O."
    Quote Originally Posted by michael82574 View Post
    Wow. Those look pretty interesting.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...reeSnap090.jpg

And if they were filed in 2005, I'm sure the scale of these drawings has been shaved down for the final design. Looks very exciting! Especially if they are producing color E-ink with flexible display!

Here's what I found on flexible E-paper/E-ink displays

http://www.eink.com/technology/flexible.html

And check out this animation! Could this be the precursor to the Foleo?
    http://www.polymervision.com/Product...ius/Index.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post
    And check out this animation! Could this be the precursor to the Foleo?
    http://www.polymervision.com/Product...ius/Index.html
    Do they need to wait for the colour version or would the displayed mono-chrome technology work in the market place?
    Mono might work for the power users who mainly edit docs, do email, etcetera. But for the mainstream user who has grown accustomed to having color video playback and color cameras in their phones, it would be a tough sell. The other lacking feature of the product in that animation is the touch screen. That reader has buttons on the side to press for navigation.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post
    TOLD YOU IT WILL BE ROUND!
    Roleo?
    I'll tell you what would be revolutionary and different. A LCD screen like the iPhone but with tactile feedback buttons that are formed magnetically from the surface into any shape. You therefore could have your cake and eat it too. The screen would either be a full flat LCD great for viewing media clips or reading full screen but with a flick of a button or gesture a full keyboard morphs from the bottom third of the LCD screen. The applications for something like this would be limitless and could create a whole new way of interacting with a device. I read somewhere that they have some LCD like this in development but not sure where they are with it. It wouldn't seem impossible to do.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I'll tell you what would be revolutionary and different. A LCD screen like the iPhone but with tactile feedback buttons that are formed magnetically from the surface into any shape. You therefore could have your cake and eat it too. The screen would either be a full flat LCD great for viewing media clips or reading full screen but with a flick of a button or gesture a full keyboard morphs from the bottom third of the LCD screen. The applications for something like this would be limitless and could create a whole new way of interacting with a device. I read somewhere that they have some LCD like this in development but not sure where they are with it. It wouldn't seem impossible to do.
    WOW Okay. I think we'll see that when you see the first Treo Blackberry 1095wxp Iphone hybrid
    But I don't think something like that would be possible in my life time and I'm only 23. But I must say it would be cool.
    I think a Treo in its current form factor but thinner with the keyboard that could rotate / swivel down to reveal a larger screen and switch to landscape view would be a must have
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    though i hate the ipod, but carry one, i dont think the iphone is that big of a gamble, depending upon the price point---remember the razr with itunes---too high of a price. i think palm really needs to blow this treo out of the water because like others have said already the treo has been copied and made better by others
    Blackjack
    vox
    excalibur
    i really hope palm has something left in its empty gas tanks for the next unit. to me, the 'new' handsets which came out were pretty pathetic advances.
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    There is such a device that provides tactile feedback from the LCD screen. I will have to look it up when I get home. It is in the latest Popular Science magazine. I'll post back the name of it this evening.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    There is such a device that provides tactile feedback from the LCD screen. I will have to look it up when I get home. It is in the latest Popular Science magazine. I'll post back the name of it this evening.
    I'm pretty sure its the Prada Phone by LG.

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...e-walkthrough/
    Last edited by Doc31; 04/18/2007 at 03:40 PM. Reason: I work too hard!
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    I read that article. The feedback mechanism is based purely on modifying the vibration feature that most phones already have so that the phone vibrates a little when you touch the screen, creating the illusion of tactile feedback.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast