Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I want to buy a Treo. This will be my first one. I can't decide between the 700p or the 700wx. Can anybody help me?
    The 700p is still the king of the hill. Resolution is a bigger factor than one would expect it to be...
    Yeah, the lower resolution would be the deciding factor for me. I would pick the 700p.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    ease of use with the phone app is the dealbreaker for me if I was to upgrade
    The standard question is what is your circumstances and requirements. One should note the 700wx owners dont want to start a class action lawsuit against Palm.

Surur
    Surur's point about what YOU need is apt. I moved from a 650 (Palm) to a 700wx (Windows) primarily because of my need to have my phone play well with the Exchange Server at work. Others don't have that need (e.g., my wife) and are happy, happy with the Palm OS.

Why don't you try one then the other? Then pick the one you like. And just know -- because I told you -- that you will be buying another Treo soon anyway because Treos are like tattoos. They're addictive. And once you have one you must have other.
    I had the same question in Dec 06... then I simply hung out in the 700p and 700wx forums for about a month and monitored the posts... I wanted the 700p but went with the 700wx. It has worked great for me... neither one is perfect... and it is a difficult choice when looking for a smartphone.

After dealing with palm since the 90s, the resolution with the 700wx is not a big deal. I even switched over from a TX... I thought I would hate it... I use the 700wx as a data line hooked into my laptop, a pda, and light calling... it works great for me in that regard. It is a stable device...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I'm using a 750 (Cingular) this month. I hate the resolution. Drives me batty. (FWIW)

When they come out with a Treo with 320x320 or higher I'm buying it the first day I can.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    If ur coming over to sprint you might as well wait around till they start sellin the 755.
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    I'm using a 750 (Cingular) this month. I hate the resolution. Drives me batty. (FWIW)

When they come out with a Treo with 320x320 or higher I'm buying it the first day I can.
    Doesn't Cingular offer the Treo 680 which is 320 x 320?

NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Doesn't Cingular offer the Treo 680 which is 320 x 320?

Yes it does.

My job buys my devices. I must be on Windows Mobile.

A slightly less important issue: The 680 does not have 3G. It's a GSM only device. (I might buy a 680 for myself as a toy ...)

One of the reasons that I often use the 8525 more than the 750 is due quite simply to the screen resolution (and to a slightly lesser degree, the far superior camera which is always nice to have when you see something cool on a business trip but don't have your regular camera with you.)

EDIT: Almost forgot my point: If not for my job requirement I'd probably be on the PalmOS version of the Treo. (700p or 680).
    Last edited by driven01; 04/05/2007 at 08:26 AM. Reason: added my point
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    The screen resolution was the dealmaker for me. I looked at the w and decided to wait for the p. I've been using Palm for a long time so the limitations of the OS were not a problem. I have thought about picking up a wx as a second unit, but I am being tempted by the new BB that is in the works.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/05/b...izon-branding/
    I've owned the 700p and wx. I returned the wx after a few days.

The 700p has been a wonderful experience. I'm still discovering new things that it can do for me. I highly recomend the 700p. A+
    When I am in Treo Evangelist mode I almost always recommend the P. It is just so much easier for a civilian to use.

EDIT: if I didn't have work-driven needs I would be on a "P" too.
    Last edited by Tastypeppers; 04/08/2007 at 08:52 PM. Reason: To talk about meeeeeeeeeee.
    With all of the issues that the 700p has, I don't think I can recommend it to anyone. Most people on these forums know how to narrow down a problem and fix it or at least patch it so they can live with with. Most people don't visit these forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    I've owned the 700p and wx. I returned the wx after a few days.

The 700p has been a wonderful experience. I'm still discovering new things that it can do for me. I highly recomend the 700p. A+
    Can you post some of the things you have discovered lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    With all of the issues that the 700p has, I don't think I can recommend it to anyone. Most people on these forums know how to narrow down a problem and fix it or at least patch it so they can live with with. Most people don't visit these forums.
    What kind of things are they fixing and patching? The only patch I've heard of is the DST one. I have a 700p and love it, as does a friend of mine. Sure, there may be some bad apples, but I'm sure that happens with most cell phones. The thing is, there's not a huge forum like this one for everyone to post their complaints on. They just take them back to the store, get another one, and go on their way.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
    What kind of things are they fixing and patching? The only patch I've heard of is the DST one. I have a 700p and love it, as does a friend of mine. Sure, there may be some bad apples, but I'm sure that happens with most cell phones. The thing is, there's not a huge forum like this one for everyone to post their complaints on. They just take them back to the store, get another one, and go on their way.
    a patch being a quick fix to a problem, not an official patch that is released by Palm/a carrier.

The skipping issue in Pockettunes, random resets, horrible bluetooth implementation, etc.
    I've used almost every single Palm OS device (handheld - starting with the Pilot1000) and converged device made (starting with a Kyocera 6035, then a Treo300, then 600, then 650) and I will say that the 240 x 240 on the 700wx makes no difference to me. And I watch tons of movies on my wx, so it's not like I'm not using the thing for multi-media. Screen looks fine to me. I've looked at the 700p, and it just seems so - archaic to me, is the best way I can say it. The PIM apps on WM just seem so much more polished, and that was quite a surprising realization I had.

So - bottom line - don't listen to anyone on these forums, including me. Try them both and make your own decision. That's the way you'll make the best choice. Only you know what you want.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast