Global Posts
    2,596 Global Posts
    Folks,
    Is this person's claim true--that WiMax service will be "available in 85 percent of U.S. metropolitan market households a.k.a., all of Sprint Nextel's serviced areas?" I read the CNET news story, and it sounded like WiMAX was going to be available only in selected areas (Boston, Philly, Dallas, Seattle, etc.). Who has it right?

Also, it's a safe bet that WiMax wireless broadband cards (for laptops) will be available, right?

Any news from Verizon yet on a competitive program?

Thanks,
    TBolt
    www.picturehangar.com | Palm Treo 700p (Verizon)
    I hope this is true.

However, I have one thing to say to Sprint. "Silly buggers!"

Look at the list of cities where they're rolling out WiMax.

1. Where is New York? (Lotsa customers, lotsa decision-influencers in the media who could pimp WiMax shamelessly).

2. Where is Los Angeles? (Lotsa customers, lotsa decision-influencers in the media who could pimp WiMax shamelessly if they liked it. Plus, this is MY market. I want WiMax!).

3. Where is Silicon Valley? (Ahem. I read somewhere that there are a few tech companies in this area south of San Francisco that people call "Silicon Valley." I figure there might be a FEW people in this market who know a thing or two about tech stuff and might -- just might -- pimp WiMax shamelessly if they liked it).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    I hope this is true.

However, I have one thing to say to Sprint. "Silly buggers!"

Look at the list of cities where they're rolling out WiMax.

1. Where is New York? (Lotsa customers, lotsa decision-influencers in the media who could pimp WiMax shamelessly).

2. Where is Los Angeles? (Lotsa customers, lotsa decision-influencers in the media who could pimp WiMax shamelessly if they liked it. Plus, this is MY market. I want WiMax!).

3. Where is Silicon Valley? (Ahem. I read somewhere that there are a few tech companies in this area south of San Francisco that people call "Silicon Valley." I figure there might be a FEW people in this market who know a thing or two about tech stuff and might -- just might -- pimp WiMax shamelessly if they liked it).
    Maybe thats why they choose where they choose for a test market? What if they have problems with it, and "they don't like it"

disclaimer: I didn't read the article and have no idea what WiMax is
    Yeah, it is a fair strategy to stage the play in Peoria before taking it to Broadway. But they've already done that and now they're rolling out to 19 cities if I recall correctly.