1.    #1  
    did a search,
    just wanted to see how many out there do not use their treos with data plans.
    Me I just use it for docs to go, some games, contacts and calendar.
    Would I like data, sure. But can't see the need for me personally.
    Anybody out there without a data plan?
    Is a 300.00 device worth it without data?
    I am due for an upgrade with verizon, but my new every two isn't up until november. My 650 works great, and I didn't pay a dime for it.
    Would you stay with your treo when are eligible for an upgrade?
    I've stayed with my T650 although I've been eligible for an upgrade for a year.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    My wife uses her 650 without a data plan and loves it. I had her on a data plan but she'd never use it. So she told me to cancel the data plan and save the money.

I even had her on my Exchange Server so everything on her Treo would sync over the air. Did the Versamail 3.5 upgrade and everything.

Yeah. While I'm griping about my wife let me tell you that she IGNORES text messages. "You know I never look at those." Sheesh.

So you can use a 650 without a data plan and still get good PIM and phone use out of it. But data really makes it better, in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    If you can justify the cost of a data plan then I wouldn't use it.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    I use the 680 and used a 600 before it as my daily planner, rolodex and phone.

The calendar alert system is a terrific replacement for my old paper based daily planner. I wish I had this 20 years ago!

My contacts are my rolodex and in the multiple restaurant franchise business I don't have the large number of contacts that many fellow TreoCentral'ers
    do, but I would be lost without my 285 contacts. I just used it a few minutes ago to call for a refrigeration problem to be repaired.

I also use pTunes often to listen to Old Time Radio aka OTR, of which I am a big fan... CBS Radio Mystery Theater is my favourite

I have access to the internet in the offices at the restaurants and at my office and home and all are interconnected with access to register data and reports, my security video systems, franchisee portal intra-net system etc, so I do not need data or the internet on my 680.

AND, a very expensive data bill of around $2600 when I got my 600 back in 2004 really left me with a bad taste for data on the Treo...
  6.    #6  
    Thanks.
    Just wanted to know that some of us exist out there!!!
    My company higher ups have treo's, plus wireless data cards from verizon, which to me is redundant, but I figure if I have to check email, I'll pay the few bucks it costs to log on really quick...I constantly use it for txt messages cause my wife would rather do that than call me, but I use the pda side of it a lot. It just kills me that to get certain features, like extra ringtones, voice dialing, etc. we have to pay on top of paying good money for a phone, when a razr will do the same thing. I rarely used my pda prior because I didn't want to carry around two devices.
    Ah, the joys of T-Mobile's ZTones $5.99 data plan! Even when I was using a Blackberry I kept this rolling just in case, or for days when I didn't bring the Blackberry.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    cadman, I used a huge amount of data for almost a year on my treo. When I switched to a ppc for a while, I cancelled the data and have not really looked back. (I use a laptop w/cell card now.) It is a great convenience to have data on the treo, but if you do not really need it it can be expensive. I would try the lesser of the two data packages that vzw offers and go from there. Good luck
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I have gone for two years with a T650 and NO data plan. I never planned on getting one when I opted for it. I was just tired of carrying a CELL PHONE AND A PDA. I wanted to combine them into one device and save some room.

I was using a PPC at the time and decided to make the leap BACK to POS (had just moved to PPC a year before from an old M515). I haven't been happier. I am sure data would be nice (correction...WILL be nice), but that wasn't my intention upon buying it.

I have had no regrets with my Treo. Best device ever. I love being able to hack into (custom ROMs, whoot whoot), and store games (NesEm, and haven't looked back), music (8gb SDHC card with 5gb of music), and videos (the rest of the SDHC card). What device is better? and it fits in my pocket. My wife hears me rave about it all the time.

I would have to say, though, that after 2 years of no data (and no complaints), that I have decided to jump to SPRINT and SERO. the $30 plan for data + phone is too much to pass up. It is in the mail RIGHT NOW. I can't wait. Adding internet (and picture mail for my adorable kids) is just too much to pass up. Go SERO!!

Enjoy my two cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaivorb View Post

<snip>

I would have to say, though, that after 2 years of no data (and no complaints), that I have decided to jump to SPRINT and SERO. the $30 plan for data + phone is too much to pass up. It is in the mail RIGHT NOW. I can't wait. Adding internet (and picture mail for my adorable kids) is just too much to pass up. Go SERO!!

Enjoy my two cents.
    I went to the 700wx on SERO. You're right. The pricing is irresistable.
    Its not a perfect solution but there is plenty of public wifi access in NYC. I also have reverse DUN via bluetooth set up which works well in my home.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    Is a 300.00 device worth it without data?
    Definitely.

Make it worth more by putting $500 on hardware (4Gb SD card, GPS reciever, Stereo Hybrid headset, add. Battery) AND applications e.g TakePhone, CallRec, Call Filter, FakeCall, NoteIt, Phone Technicians, Treo Butler, Reset Doctor, Agendus Pro, Ptunes 4.x Deluxe Version, and Maps.
    Treo Maniac?