1.    #1  
    If you want to skip the rant because you already know what it's going to be, please do so and just go to my question below it.

[Rant about crappy phone]
    I've been with Verizon now for 15 months - I got the 700w the day that it came out in January of 06. The number of headaches this device has given me is unreal. I don't have ANYthing non-factory setup except for the Verizon wireless sync connector setup with my corporate exchange server, if you actually want to call that 'non-factory'. Yet I have constant issues with it locking up - it's just flat out embarrassing. I won't go into all of the little problems but let's just say 1 to 2 soft resets a day is extremely typical. More if I actually use it for more than just making and taking calls.
    Worse yet it seems sometimes it decides to stop notifying me of reminders and incoming email and text messages.

I'll think to myself 'man I haven't gotten a new email or reminder from my calender in a while' and low and behold, I go into my calendar and all sorts of things were going on that it never once told me about - I mean it's not even like I didn't feel it buzz or hear it - they aren't even down in the corner where uncleared/unsnoozed reminders and message notifications would normally go. It just completely ignores them!

This is really unacceptable because I depend on this phone to keep me in touch with people and remind me of critical events throughout the day. Half of the time it just decides not to. To confirm I'm not going crazy I'll even go in there and add an appointment to execute within the next 5 minutes and sit there and see if my phone does anything. Nope.

[/Rant about crappy phone]

So my question is - I've had this original phone since January. It's out of warranty but has always been full of problems that I always figured would be better to just work through rather than just getting a refurb that'd just have different problems. I've been paying Verizon $130/month for voice/data/insurance - so after 15 months they've brought in almost 2 grand off my account. What is my best option?
    Should I call them as an unhappy customer that sends a lot of money their way... and see if they'll set me up with a new phone even though I'm out of warranty for free?
    Or will my new phone be just as screwed up anyway because even the newer 700w models are still buggy, so I might as well wait for the next truly new Treo to be release and hope it's actually decent, or heck, maybe just got something other than a Treo altogether?
    Or since I have insurance should I just claim I lost it or broke it or something and pay the 50 dollar fee or whatever it is?

I just think it's complete BS that I paid $400 for this phone after a 2 year agreement, $130/month for service, and can't even get the OEM software to function in a consistent and reliable manner without twice a day resets and constant babysitting and finger crossing.
    Try to get a 700wx. Also, have your problems been documented by vzw? If not, it'll be a tough sell...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Try to get a 700wx. Also, have your problems been documented by vzw? If not, it'll be a tough sell...
    I've only called them twice - though one time I must have spent about a good 3 hours on the phone with the guy due to serious problems I was having getting that big update they came out with mid/early last year, to install...
    most of your problems are due to the ridiculously low amount of RAM in the w. the wx resolves this issue.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    most of your problems are due to the ridiculously low amount of RAM in the w. the wx resolves this issue.
    Does verizon offer the WX? I thought that was sprint, only?
    Quote Originally Posted by Threxx View Post
    Does verizon offer the WX? I thought that was sprint, only?
    vzw released it in february i believe. Check out the website.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Yes VZW does have the WX just got mine the other day....no problems so far..

So if you have insurance on the phone why not have it meet with an unfortunate accident and get a new one
    yea I would try and get the wx. I use the sprint version and I never have to soft rest and everything works fine. the more memory helps a lot.
    Haven't had too many problems with the w myself. Phone calls off and on throughout the day, wireless sync with company mail server when I'm in field (every other day or so), roaming in and out of EVDO coverage. Phone is on 24/7.
    Occassionally turn phone off (1/week or so) and on. Same for soft-reset, but rarely get locks.
    Ya, locking sucks and sometimes it locks but the screen looks the same and you can't tell you're missing calls, but that happened once in the last year. Weekly reset seems to prevent it.
    I know it doesn't help the user's problem much, but just haven't had these kinds of problems