Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First they rip us off by selling us shoddy phones with a bunch of bugs & release updates which are no updates at all for $600 & now this?? I have a friend who worked at the Palm store in Los Angeles at The Grove & they all got fired with no notice on Friday night. Come to find out many people were fired in multiple states as well. They were given no notice & no reason & were treated like criminals. Goes to show that Palm is a company which I have ZERO respect for as far as the products they produce and now the way they operate.

Check this link for more details: http://www.palminfocenter.com/forum/...=177399#177399
    From that thread is sounds like Palm actually contracts it's stores to a 3rd party firm which actually runs them. It sounds like the company that bought out the Palm store contract, Market Source, is actually the one to blame for this, however it is very unlikely that Palm did not acquiesce to this takeover. In any case, business is business...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    business is business...
    Exactly. Feel for you and those that got screwed, but this is the nature of the beast. In your next job, you may want to consider looking into a union.
    I'm sure that other phone makers would welcome your business. No one is twisting your arm, are they?

I've been laid off before without warning (most companies don't give a warning, by the way), and it sucks, but it is part of life.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  5.    #5  
    so somehow this is ok?? People get fired with NO notice & told to pack your bags & leave?? Would you have positive feelings for a company that did this to you? Yes Marketsource did the firing BUT Palm hired Marketsource in the first place AND they are the ones who took charge now.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    so somehow this is ok?? People get fired with NO notice & told to pack your bags & leave?? Would you have positive feelings for a company that did this to you? Yes Marketsource did the firing BUT Palm hired Marketsource in the first place AND they are the ones who took charge now.
    Think of it this way. Can you quit your job with no notice. Yes. Therefore the employer has the same right to end the employment. Does it suck? Yes. Did they do it in an uncaring manner, yes. But that's business. Was everyone provided with their holiday pay and anything else they would receive upon being laid off?
    If the individual's terms of employment were violated, then there would be grounds for litigation. If not, then the employees should have been aware that this was a possibility. Complaining that businesses aren't "nice" doesn't much resonate with me. This sort of behaviour is by no means uncommon, and people should be aware of that. It's too bad, but you only get what you negotiate.
  8.    #8  
    it is not me who got fired. I just think it is telling of a company who operates in this manner. You are all saying this is how it is which may be the case but it still doesn't make it right. you guys are cold as icccceeeeeee
    Most companies fire/layoff in this manner. It sucks but that's how business works.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    The company who employed these laid off employees is identified by their name on the paycheck, not on the door. Labor has been losing to corporate interests and most states are now Right to Work, which means anyone can be let go without cause or notice. Chances are this LLC has employees in other retail outfits and thus came under the percentage of total workforce being laid off to mandate any advance notice.

I do not have facts about the contracts for staffing the Palm (or any other) stores. It is possible that they did not win a renewal. It is possible they did not meet Palm's expectations. It is possible they were underbid. Take a look at what Circuit City is doing. 40 employees is a drop in the bucket compared to that situation.

Unfortunately this is business; employees are replaceable. I've been on both sides: union trying to get enough hours (to pay my rent and hopefully become eligible for benefits) when lowest in seniority and non-union watching others get laid off in several massive downsizings until it was my turn on the fourth cycle. I've also been in the position to liquidate the furniture and equipment around and under me when the US expansion of a UK organization didn't grow as expected. What I learned from all these experiences was to dust myself off and try something different.

Good luck to your friend in finding another job.
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post

<snip>

What I learned from all these experiences was to dust myself off and try something different.

<snip>
    There you go. Success. Humans as biological units capable of adaptation. I predict that Detective's DNA will propogate itself.
    Not that I want to start a flame war or anything but I've never really understood why people insist on referring to a layoff as "people being fired". While the end result is the same, the people are out of work, the cause is much different. Being fired means the employee did something bad or wasn't performing to the satisfaction of the company. In other words it's a negative connotation to the employee. Being laid off means, amongst other things, the company couldn't or didn't want to afford to keep the people on the payroll. It's not a negative towards the employee. <shrug>
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I think this is terrible. Just cause laying off people w/o notice may be the norm or isn't required doesn't make it OK. People are not expendable resources and they deserve a little notice. I don't just quite jobs, i give notice. I don't have to give notice, but I do, its called being professional. I know my employer will need to start looking for my replacement, and i don't want to put them in a terrible position. As well, I am sure these people who got fired may have family who are depending on them. The human thing to do would be to warn them that they need to start looking.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    This should be a concern...and here is why.

I was a Star Blue employee who opened the Grove location in Los Angeles.

Staff was paid an hourly base plus commissions. It was not uncommon for staff members to make anywhere between $15-$25 an hour during an average week. That decent pay attracted good talent. Sales staff that could not only sell the product but were also very educated on the product and therefore could support it.

I imagine the staff that you will find in there now are much lower paid and much less knowledgeable in the products. Based on the experience and interactions that were had with Marketsource employees in the past I would not expect a whole lot.
    Companies protect their own interests. Think of it this way. You notify 40 people that they will be laid off in two weeks. What kind of employees are they going to be for that last two weeks? Will some of them lay out of work because they don't care? Will some of them steal from the company or sabotage because they do not fear losing their jobs? Remember, there are a lot of sorry people out there. Some of them have worked for me. You have to look out for yourself in business.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Circuit City has done and is doing a similar thing. Firing all employees who have been there longer than 2 years. They will rehire some of them after 90 days at a lower pay.

This keeps the payroll down.

Not saying it's a good thing, but it is a fairly common practice.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    It's America and capitalism rules!!
    I gotta have more cowbell
    I think it's bad for company moral. Many will see that and leave. There are other choices, but, if a business has to make a choice, of either firing 40 employees or waiting and possible losing profits or having to shut down stores, maybe even bankruptcy down the line, I do not blame them at all for firing the 40.
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Hey gfunkmagic,

By the way, who's the chickie' in the Avatar?
    There was never really any interactions between Palm store employees and anyone in corporate.

Star Blue was a company that Palm contracted to run their retail locations for them. Star Blue accepted inventory on a consignment basis.

A big reason that these stores were successful was due to the fact that the person who owned Star Blue recognized that if he paid well enough he could attract knowledgeable staff.

Star Blue was by no means perfect and it was starting to suffer from it's own success however the staff members that operated these stores cared very much about overall success.

Palm appears to have chose the bottom line.

I am sure that the employees that are working in the stores now are paid less and far less knowledgeable. I could be wrong...but I doubt it.

Marketsource hired about 20 college age kids to promote the release of the 680 in the neighborhood surrounding the two LA locations and not a single one of these kids got any sort of training. They had no idea what carrier it would work for or anything.

I would not expect more out of their new sales staff.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast