Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ah. So the evil Palm executives might in fact be sane. Great update. Aren't we all glad we didn't jump to conclusions?
  2.    #42  
    wow I did not know that!
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    it is not me who got fired. I just think it is telling of a company who operates in this manner. You are all saying this is how it is which may be the case but it still doesn't make it right. you guys are cold as icccceeeeeee
    A portion of the problem is due to California Regulations. Employing people in California is a true test of will and patience. Once a person is hired, managing the documentation and reporting of the employment relationship for the purposes of the EDD and unemployment, workers comp, health benefits and such are overwhelming. You really need close to a law degree to really know what you are getting into when you hire within California (legally).

Then there is the Grove. The store was located down a little side alley from the main Grove walkway. Hardly anybody knew it was there. THe Grove is one of the most expensive retail venues in southern California! Yeah, it is really nice and everybody wants to be there but you gotta sell a lot of treo's to bust that nut every month!

A decent treo sales person would likely spend most of their time at a customer location.

The apple stores were opened because apple knew there were going to have a wide variety of products to sell and because they need to have customers looking at an apple rep in the face (genius bar). The treo store was a bad idea. They should have set up treo kiosks like what the carriers are doing at the shopping malls.
    Quote Originally Posted by epi117 View Post
    My current position as a manager for a public health program i am called "at will" i serve at the pleasure of the director of the health department. i can be fired at will, no reason needed.
    In that situation, your superior would "ask" for your resignation. You would not be fired.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    welcome to conservative, republican, America. Don't like it? Vote democratic.
    Dude- it was the dems that were pushing US globalization policies! The slashing of import taxes and relaxation of corporate taxes on overseas operations that has opened the can of worms we call "offshoring".

The only recourse we have is to recognize what products are produced over there and stop buying them! We are never going to convince legislatures to change it because the corporations are the entities writing big checks to their election campaigns.

When you all go to walmart to buy cheap imported consumer goods, remember the hidden costs you are paying. You are voting with your dollars for the company that sends our jobs to Taiwan/China, India, Phillipines and Mexico.

It isn't partisan. It is economic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Ben View Post
    I got to this discussion a bit late, but I did want to mention that in regards to the staff at The Grove location in Los Angeles, in particular, there was a good amount of shady conduct afoot by its employees. It started (or ended) with the stash of pot found in the back room, but also some of the employees several months ago ended up buying the store's remaining inventory of colored, unlocked 680s just when Palm anounced that they would no longer be selling them. These employees bought them at a discount, of course, and then anyone calling in or walking in looking for said Treos would be told that the store is "sold out" but that they (i.e., individual sales associates) "had some available." They then instructed any interested buyers to meet outside the store, in front of another retailer, where an all-cash transaction for the Treo would take place. The employees offered no discounts on the Treos, mind you, and got to pocket the profit entirely and denied the customer the benefit of having a Palm Store receipt and all the benefits and "protections" that come with it (returns, exchanges, etc.). In all, these employees saw an opportunity and took it, denying Palm any extra profits and the customer of having a legitimate transaction. I would know -- I almost bought an Arctic 680 from one of them outside and in front of the Banana Republic there.

From what I understand, the whole lot of these "entrepreneurial employees" were swept out, including some other "innocents" who were caught in the crossfire. The point I'm making is that not all of them are as innocent and "victims of capitalism" as they are made out to be.
    This is in fact untrue. As a former Star Blue/Palm employee I can attest to the fact that we were never allowed at any point to purchase 680's from the store's stock. We were offered a chance to purchase them, at a discount, from the corporate store but were only allowed to purchase a maximum of 3 units.

If your story is true then these employees were offering to sell you one that they purchased legally and held onto because they knew that they were not going to be available any longer. Just the same is if they sold it on Ebay or Craigslist.

I see nothing wrong with that except for the possible shady idea of meeting out in front of another store. But then again....I am sure that they did not want to end up being accused of stealing.

As far as the pot...what do you expect? We were all marginally paid college kids.

The true reason for what happened was the fact that Star Blue lost it's contract with Palm due to a totally mismanaged inventory/consignment system. Fact is, the Palm stores were successful because of these employees and I predict that it won't be long until you start to see them closing. I visited the store were I used to work and I was hardly impressed with the staff.

But then again...nothing Palm is doing these days is impressing me.
    Fun to hear the real stuff on the store.

Every store I have gone to -- except SFO -- has been dull dull dull. SFO is/was different because of the people.

As for brushing off the pot thing . . . sorry, there is no excuse whatsoever anytime anywhere no how, no way. Age, college kid, whatever. Nothing like this at a business. Ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treodoctor View Post
    If your story is true then these employees were offering to sell you one that they purchased legally and held onto because they knew that they were not going to be available any longer. Just the same is if they sold it on Ebay or Craigslist.
    I don't agree. First, you appear to be using insider information, knowing in advance of the general public of the discontinuation of those models. Perhaps I'm reading into this and this was not the case. If so, my apologies. But second, you are using the Palm storefront as a marketing tool to sell your wares. If you used eBay there would be a transaction fee which you are avoiding by making use of Palm's corporate presence at that location. Moreover, I don't know about others, but I would be much less inclined to shop in the future at stores where the employees resorted to these sorts of shenanigans. Sure, there might be the short term gain of getting a model that was otherwise no longer available, but I would be extremely wary of buying from employees with that level of integrity. This hurts Palm by sending the wrong message to its customers, whereas at that time you were on Palm's payroll and supposed to be working for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Treodoctor View Post
    As far as the pot...what do you expect? We were all marginally paid college kids.
    Agree totally with Tastypeppers on this one. You're in business and being paid. No excuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    I don't agree. First, you appear to be using insider information, knowing in advance of the general public of the discontinuation of those models. Perhaps I'm reading into this and this was not the case. If so, my apologies. But second, you are using the Palm storefront as a marketing tool to sell your wares. If you used eBay there would be a transaction fee which you are avoiding by making use of Palm's corporate presence at that location. Moreover, I don't know about others, but I would be much less inclined to shop in the future at stores where the employees resorted to these sorts of shenanigans. Sure, there might be the short term gain of getting a model that was otherwise no longer available, but I would be extremely wary of buying from employees with that level of integrity. This hurts Palm by sending the wrong message to its customers, whereas at that time you were on Palm's payroll and supposed to be working for them.

Agree totally with Tastypeppers on this one. You're in business and being paid. No excuse.

Insider information? That's a hoot. Palm never told us anything. All our info came from site's like this.

I am not saying that I would have done what these guys did but what I AM saying is that they were not purchasing the remaining stock and reselling them as was implied in the earlier post because we were not allowed.

Unless, of course, they were stealing them which we can all agree would be wrong.
    Others mention Right to Work but keep in mind that's a two-way street.

Yes the employer can let you go without cause (although any decent one will have cause), but it also means you can leave at any time as well.

There have been more than one case where an employer tries to keep an employee from working in the same field for some time after they leave, which goes against Right to Work. Also known as Employment At Will.

If we have someone who leaves us for a competitor they certainly get walked out the door the instant they give notice. Pretty simple really.

Yes this does suck but I don't see anything out of the ordinary here.

I have certainly seen worse, like Circuit City firing most of their senior folks in favor of cheap low end folks.

K.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123