Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50
  1.    #21  
    the contract was bough out by palm from starblue. some shady stuff going on!
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    First they rip us off by selling us shoddy phones with a bunch of bugs & release updates which are no updates at all for $600 & now this?? I have a friend who worked at the Palm store in Los Angeles at The Grove & they all got fired with no notice on Friday night. Come to find out many people were fired in multiple states as well. They were given no notice & no reason & were treated like criminals. Goes to show that Palm is a company which I have ZERO respect for as far as the products they produce and now the way they operate.

    Check this link for more details: http://www.palminfocenter.com/forum/...=177399#177399
    umm... welcome to the real world.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    Most companies fire/layoff in this manner. It sucks but that's how business works.
    It is usually done like this to prevent employees that are being let go from retaliating, such as stealing inventory and other such things. It is sad to see this happen, but that is the real world. In order to make a profit (and last I looked, Palm was NOT a non-profit orgnization), sometimes things like this happen.

    Look at CompUSA closing 60% of their stores nation wide. But they didn't lay everyone off. They are doing it over a period of time, absorbing employees into other stores as other leave, and having psudeo-sales to reduce the inventory so they don't have to ship it elsewhere. But in the end, there will be people that loose their jobs, and that is just a sad fact of doing business.

  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    they all got fired with no notice on Friday night.
    This is one of the reasons why i left Corporate America. My former company did something like this on an even larger scale.
  5. TBolt's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,596 Global Posts
    #25  
    I've won Employee of the Year and similar awards often, but I've also been laid off 4 times. The most recent layoff included a 2-month "severance" thanks to the WARN act (legislation that works, finally!), which made a big difference in providing a comfortable transition.

    I understand your frustration on behalf of your friend. But, as others have said here, layoffs are a normal part of today's business environment. Wish it didn't have to be, but O well...
    TBolt
    www.picturehangar.com | Palm Treo 700p (Verizon)
  6. #26  
    as a company, there is a risk to fire ppl with 2 weeks notice.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  7. treoluv's Avatar
    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treodoctor View Post
    Marketsource hired about 20 college age kids to promote the release of the 680 in the neighborhood surrounding the two LA locations and not a single one of these kids got any sort of training. They had no idea what carrier it would work for or anything.

    I would not expect more out of their new sales staff.
    Geez, do you know where can I apply for this job?

    Too bad that Palm doesn't pay me a penny and I sold for them about 29 sets of 680 (not including about the same amount of 650s and non remembering set of 600s.)

    That's not even worse by taking a look on this case http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=138450 So palm kiss me my a$$ goodbye. My CURRENT device is HTC Hermes (aka Cingular 8525) eventhough I don't like it much as I DID w/ Palm treo.
    Last edited by treoluv; 04/07/2007 at 12:01 AM. Reason: add. info.
    Treo Maniac?
  8. #28  
    oh no, people got fired. It sucks for people that get fired, but in many instances, it's necessary for the business to stay competitive before it goes under so everyone loses their jobs.
  9. #29  
    AOL shut down virtually the ENTIRE call center in Jax, Fl about a year ago! People came to work to find a note posted on the locked doors! Obviously, that move told of AOL's demise. Its the real world, even if it is bitter! Even if Palm had a hand in this, lets hope it doesnt tell of bad things to come!
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Exactly. Feel for you and those that got screwed, but this is the nature of the beast. In your next job, you may want to consider looking into a union.
    oh cripes a Union? Union = add tons of overhead $ to the business, therefore driving prices up and all the while owners are forced to keep bad employees - not that all union employees are bad, quite the contrary, but it protects the bad ones.
    Last edited by ttrundle; 04/08/2007 at 12:32 AM.
  11. #31  
    Capitalism works in theory because it takes a negative human trait (greed) and turns it into products and services for the benefit of the society at large. When the USA was young, we kept this balance by requiring businesses to prove that they provided benefit to society.

    Since then, businesses have injected their money and influence into the political process to the point that showing a benefit to society is no longer necessary. So it is pretty much "anything goes," as long as the stockholders are making money.

    Labor unions have also become mostly irrelevant. This is basically because business has gone global and unions have not. Not that the unions wouldn't like to go global, but those same corporations have lobbied foreign governments to prevent the unions from organizing there.

    So Palm is just following its competition in the never-ending race to minimize costs, no matter what.
  12. #32  
    When we buy our Treos and accessories from Palm stores we will be in a position to pass judgment. Palm Inc. is responding to us and our behavior. We buy stuff online, not at the stores. We buy other manufacturers' batteries 'n stuff, not Palm's. (Well, at least I do).

    So who's to blame here? Me because batteries are cheaper on Treocentral?

    It ain't 'their' fault. Whoever 'they' are.
  13. #33  
    What ever happened to severance pay and a timely notice of termination?
    America the great my anus, this is another reason why I moved to Switzerland.

    I'm Rich BIOTCH!
    Last edited by Bronxboy; 04/12/2007 at 11:15 PM.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxboy View Post
    What ever happened to severance pay and a timely notice of termination?
    America the grate my anus this is another reason why I moved to Switzerland.

    I'm Rich BIOTCH!
    can't argue with you but is there a Moshulu Parkway in Basel, too?
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfield View Post
    can't argue with you but is there a Moshulu Parkway in Basel, too?

    no Moshulu Parkway but I must know you, do tell.
    PM if you must.
  16. #36  
    My current position as a manager for a public health program i am called "at will" i serve at the pleasure of the director of the health department. i can be fired at will, no reason needed.
  17. backbeat's Avatar
    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle View Post
    oh cripes a Union? Union = add tons of overhead $ to the business, therefore driving prices up
    So does ISO certification, but it insures higher quality control, a more consistent product, and accountability.

    and all the while owners are forced to keep bad employees
    A visionary company extends ownership to its employees, causing a higher level of personal responsibility, lower turnover, and greater job satisfaction.

    not that all union employees are bad, quite the contrary, but it protects the bad ones.
    A properly formed union cannot 'protect' bad employees. The union is agreed upon by all parties, employer included. A union simply insures that a genuine causitive action has taken place prior to a firing/job elimination.

    This isn't to say that there are no bad unions. Far from it, but as I said, the employer is not forced into agreement and ultimately can only hold the person in the mirror accountable.
  18. #38  
    Just indicates that the employer as in the earlier ages are trying to show their supremacy over the employees, what else can you say as a reason of this indiscriminate behavior? Well there are many employers who treat their employees like family members but unfortunately their numbers are fast outgrowing by the aforesaid. Well this might be the new business policy however if this continues we are surely going to witness a rebel from somewhere.
    Looking for the services of the Arizona PEOs
  19. #39  
    welcome to conservative, republican, America. Don't like it? Vote democratic.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  20. #40  
    I got to this discussion a bit late, but I did want to mention that in regards to the staff at The Grove location in Los Angeles, in particular, there was a good amount of shady conduct afoot by its employees. It started (or ended) with the stash of pot found in the back room, but also some of the employees several months ago ended up buying the store's remaining inventory of colored, unlocked 680s just when Palm anounced that they would no longer be selling them. These employees bought them at a discount, of course, and then anyone calling in or walking in looking for said Treos would be told that the store is "sold out" but that they (i.e., individual sales associates) "had some available." They then instructed any interested buyers to meet outside the store, in front of another retailer, where an all-cash transaction for the Treo would take place. The employees offered no discounts on the Treos, mind you, and got to pocket the profit entirely and denied the customer the benefit of having a Palm Store receipt and all the benefits and "protections" that come with it (returns, exchanges, etc.). In all, these employees saw an opportunity and took it, denying Palm any extra profits and the customer of having a legitimate transaction. I would know -- I almost bought an Arctic 680 from one of them outside and in front of the Banana Republic there.

    From what I understand, the whole lot of these "entrepreneurial employees" were swept out, including some other "innocents" who were caught in the crossfire. The point I'm making is that not all of them are as innocent and "victims of capitalism" as they are made out to be.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions