1.    #1  
    To begin, i'm totally reaching here... I'm basing this on the pretty pictures in my head and the fact that i'm now out of contract and don't like anything i'm seeing.

Everyone knows that T-Mobile is going to be activating a 3G network in the near future, possibly this summer/fall across the US. They bought an **** load of the spectrum at the last FCC auction. Now they need a flagship device for this network. They'll get a Blackberry, some slick Moto phone, and how about a brand new Treo 800 (and Treo 680 for the budget minded folks...)

I know T-Mobile is all about the wifi, but wifi and 3G seem a little redundant redundant to me (Cingular 8525 i'm looking at you). In the past 6 months i've used the wifi on my MDA twice. A Treo could help T-Mobile in the Business side of the world and give them a more mature standing in the Cell phone world (what working stiff would get a sidekick????).

Basically I'm at the end of a contract, i'm starting to dislike my MDA, the Treo 680 just seems like a warmed over 650, and I would like to see what Jeff Hawkins and Palm have up their sleeves for the Palm OS (2.0) and the Treos.
    I知 a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    It's possible, but for a T-Mobile 3G Treo device, i wouldn't expect it until Q4 at the earliest, and my guess would be Q2 08.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    It's possible, but for a T-Mobile 3G Treo device, i wouldn't expect it until Q4 at the earliest, and my guess would be Q2 08.
    Very True, i could prob crap one out faster then that time line (wouldn't that be a nice party trick?). I'll prob end up with a 680 for now and get a one year contract with Cingular (i think you can do it for an extra $50 in activation fees) and then hope that Palm gets a nice new Treo out some time this year.
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Just pay for the device and forget the subsidy. Go month to month and move to whatever device you want when you want on your carrier of choice.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by emajy View Post
    Just pay for the device and forget the subsidy. Go month to month and move to whatever device you want when you want on your carrier of choice.
    I am going to do the month to month for right now, but idk if i'm about to put $400 down for a Treo 680... now it looks even more unattractive. I'd rather get a used 650 and wait for a subsidized Palm phone that looks as good as it performs.

Side note... anyone have an unlocked GSM Treo 650 for sale?
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Totally with you on this one. Have you heard T-Mobile is raising the text messaging price to 0.15 in June (to match most other carriers?) This is considered a material change to the contract, allowing many to exit their contract without an ETF. My original plan was to change to Cingular and get a Treo 750, but I'm disappointed with that device, so now I'm stuck waiting to see what else Palm is going to push out this year.

Although you're wanting that Treo 800 to be a Palm OS device, I hope they make an 800w that runs Windows Mobile - and I would gladly jump to Cingular if T-Mobile didn't pick it up!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by darkfire View Post
    Totally with you on this one. Have you heard T-Mobile is raising the text messaging price to 0.15 in June (to match most other carriers?) This is considered a material change to the contract, allowing many to exit their contract without an ETF. My original plan was to change to Cingular and get a Treo 750, but I'm disappointed with that device, so now I'm stuck waiting to see what else Palm is going to push out this year.

Although you're wanting that Treo 800 to be a Palm OS device, I hope they make an 800w that runs Windows Mobile - and I would gladly jump to Cingular if T-Mobile didn't pick it up!
    What are you looking for that the 750 doesn't have? The 320x320 screen?

I'm just not digging the WM5 OS. Ppl b1tch about no multi threading on the Palm OS but when I had a Treo 600/650 I could listen to music in the background while receiving messages from Chatter email or while using Blazer. I'll be honest too, the iPhone has been popping into my head too, but I don't want to purchase a 1st Gen Apple product (that has only EDGE speeds too).

But as much as i can deal with Palm OS 5.x I cannot wait to see what Palm is going to do with the next generation Palm OS.
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    What are you looking for that the 750 doesn't have? The 320x320 screen?

I'm just not digging the WM5 OS. Ppl b1tch about no multi threading on the Palm OS but when I had a Treo 600/650 I could listen to music in the background while receiving messages from Chatter email or while using Blazer. I'll be honest too, the iPhone has been popping into my head too, but I don't want to purchase a 1st Gen Apple product (that has only EDGE speeds too).

But as much as i can deal with Palm OS 5.x I cannot wait to see what Palm is going to do with the next generation Palm OS.
    Here's what the 750 is missing, in my opinion:
    - Screen should be 320x320 (or at least 320x240);
    - Another 64mb of RAM (or at least another 32mb);
    - Bluetooth 2.0 vs 1.2;
    - USB 2.0 vs 1.1;
    - A 2.0+mp camera vs the 1.3mp
    - and a battery strong than 1200 mAh
    - WM6 (which is soon on the way via an update)

Not asking for a dream device here, but at $400 w/2 year contract, I'm not feeling the bang for my buck. I've got no interest in the iPhone; I'll sit tight and hope Palm brings more to the table next time.
    Here's what the 750 is missing, in my opinion:
    - Screen should be 320x320 (or at least 320x240);
    - Another 64mb of RAM (or at least another 32mb);
    - Bluetooth 2.0 vs 1.2;
    - USB 2.0 vs 1.1;
    - A 2.0+mp camera vs the 1.3mp
    - and a battery strong than 1200 mAh
    - WM6 (which is soon on the way via an update)

Not asking for a dream device here, but at $400 w/2 year contract, I'm not feeling the bang for my buck. I've got no interest in the iPhone; I'll sit tight and hope Palm brings more to the table next time.
    I agree about everything. However, the RAM really isn't an issue, I multitask and leave 5+ programs open on my Treo 750 all the time and I'm still around 15-20mb of free RAM. It would be nice though because when browsing graphic intensive sites, it does suck away RAM until you close PIE.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    FYI, XDA developers has a link to the new HTC rom image for the T-Mobile MDA that supports Windows Mobile 6. A buddy of mine is running it and it works very well. There won't be a Palm OS Garnet device that is GSM and UMTS, it just can't work. So if Palm comes out with something, it will have to be a new Treo with a new Palm OS. Regardless, I don't see T-Mobile supporting the Treos. They got burned with the 270s and 600s and got left with unwanted inventory and lots of technical support problems. I expect we'll see some high-end smartphones, maybe a pocket pc, and a few small business class phones that support bluetooth tethering so that other devices can use 3G speeds. However, the T-Mobile folks I have spoken to think this is a year (summer 2008) away. Sadly, it is a very real possibility that my Treo 680 maybe my last Palm OS-based smartphone. We'rebjust going to have to wait and see.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  11.    #11  
    So i'm going to tell t-mobile to go screw themselves and i'm going to get a Treo 755p once it comes out. I'm sick of waiting for the perfect Treo and if i'm going to get one it's going to be in the first quarter that it is out.

Unless my new company uses blackberries... then i'll get an unlocked 680... i'll eat my MDA before i get a blackberry.
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    T-Mobile USA is a tiny carrier with a tiny marketshare.

So...in conclusion, get an unlocked.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    T-Mobile USA is a tiny carrier with a tiny marketshare.

So...in conclusion, get an unlocked.
    The other issue besides their phone selection is that they are still using EDGE. Granted not all of Cingular is HSDPA/UTMS but they are moving forward where t-mobile is still planning a launch.
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    I would upgrade today if a 3G Palm OS phone were available with more memory.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    With the new OS on its way late this yr, a 3G Linux POS is now possible. But i don't think t-mob likes Palm.

I really hope T-Mobile *doesn't* get an exclusive here -- I'd hate to have to consider them again.

In general, I'd recommend a switch to Cingular or Sprint anyway. T-Mobile doesn't care enough about Palm users to carry any Treo's, their data network is behind everyone else's, and their costs are higher.

Basically, I see the choice as a toss-up between Sprint (better data plans) and Cingular (international GSM support), with Verizon a close third.