Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    It seems like the standard for pocket pc's and smartphones has been 128 or 64 megabytes for as long as I can remember. After going to Frys the other day and buying a 1gb SD card for $6.99 with no rebates, I realized just how cheap ram is. Why must we be stuck with devices that require an expansion card? I would HAPPILY pay $50 or more to have a device with a huge internal capacity. Is it a cost issue? Is it a size/form factor issue? Really, I just want to understand why we are stuck with a ram amount that is from the 1990's. All opinions welcome

    -Collin-
  2. #2  
    Its starting to change slowly, and 256 MB flash is becoming more common, as is larger sizes like 1-2GB. I guess the OEM's serve the majority of their market, and most of those people never install any applications, meaning they never have any pressure to increase onboard Flash storage.

    Surur
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Its starting to change slowly, and 256 MB flash is becoming more common, as is larger sizes like 1-2GB. I guess the OEM's serve the majority of their market, and most of those people never install any applications, meaning they never have any pressure to increase onboard Flash storage.

    Surur
    I guess that's a good point. In that defense, it is relatively easy to just go buy a large capacity SD card...those who need one. I just thought with advancement in technology and always-decreasing ram prices, they'd offer us a little more than 60mb available for programs! We'll see with the next generation phones I suppose.

    -Collin-
  4. #4  
    Why would you need so much ram. I have 64 in my 700p and not even close to filling it with programs. Unless I start putting music or movies in ram, I don't need any more. Most of the Palm programs are relatively small. So the answer to your question, IMHO, would be there really isn't a need for more ram.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Why would you need so much ram. I have 64 in my 700p and not even close to filling it with programs. Unless I start putting music or movies in ram, I don't need any more. Most of the Palm programs are relatively small. So the answer to your question, IMHO, would be there really isn't a need for more ram.
    That's exactly my point though: movies and ram. The windows media player on the 700wx is very powerful. I could fill the ram in my device with one movie clip or something. I understand your point...with programs it is enough space. But a lot of people load their devices with hundreds of mp3s and such.

    -Collin-
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaZX6R View Post
    It seems like the standard for pocket pc's and smartphones has been 128 or 64 megabytes for as long as I can remember. After going to Frys the other day and buying a 1gb SD card for $6.99 with no rebates, I realized just how cheap ram is. Why must we be stuck with devices that require an expansion card? I would HAPPILY pay $50 or more to have a device with a huge internal capacity. Is it a cost issue? Is it a size/form factor issue? Really, I just want to understand why we are stuck with a ram amount that is from the 1990's. All opinions welcome

    -Collin-
    Cost is part of it, then there's the fact that not everyone needs huge internal memory (some don't even run programs on their Treos, they only use it as a phone), and next, there's also the fact that no matter how much memory you put in a device, it'll never be enough to please everyone. Let's say Palm puts 1GB of storage in a device, there'd still be people wanting 2 or even 4 GB. Once they put 4GB, people will want 8, and so on and so on.
  7. #7  
    I think the upcoming iPhones will have 4 and 8GB. So, to compete with them, you would need that much RAM for MP3s.

    My issue with just one slot is that you pretty much eliminate using the slot for any addon devices. Luckily, with bluetooth, GPSs can be external, and put the maps on the card.
  8. #8  
    And I knew this limitation before I bought the Treo. Can't claim surprise
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkrieser View Post
    I think the upcoming iPhones will have 4 and 8GB. So, to compete with them, you would need that much RAM for MP3s.

    My issue with just one slot is that you pretty much eliminate using the slot for any addon devices. Luckily, with bluetooth, GPSs can be external, and put the maps on the card.
    The iPhone and Treo aren't exactly direct competitors. A lot of people who want the functionality of a Treo don't look for that same functionality in an iPhone, and vice versa. The iPhone is being marketed as and is meant to be used as a multimedia device. While the Treo is capable of multimedia, it's not the primary focus of the device.

    Keep in mind that the iPhone does not have expandable memory. Once you fill up that 8GB, you don't get any more than that. Although not convenient, expandable memory gives you the option for as much storage as you want to carry with you.

    May I ask what else you would need the SD slot for? Most devices nowadays come with built in BT and wifi (but no wifi in the Treo ) so there's not much else you need the slot for. Personally, I think having two slots would just confuse people, and a lot of people probably wouldn't even use both of them. Not to mention it would add to the cost and size of a device.
  10. #10  
    Extra memory. I'm planning to install GPS software onto my phone, and I need space for map data.

    I guess Wifi is potentially nice, but I really didn't use it much on my previous PDA.

    I also like to keep ebooks available.

    Can't think of any other expansion I really need.
  11. ehosey2's Avatar
    Posts
    309 Posts
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    #11  
    What about the future possibilities of dual operating systems on our Treo's ? Since WM 6.0 is going to be 320 by 320 resolution just like POS, if there were some capability to run both operating systems, ( like this Bootcamp thing for computers I have read about ) then the need for more RAM could then be justified. Is something like this possible on the Treo ? Maybe the Treo experts, aka the Shadowmites and others, could chime in.
    HP Pre 3 16GB AT&T
    HP Touchpad 32GB
  12. #12  
    Once a common platform becomes a reality I expect people will be flashing their devices with the two OS's left and right.

    Surur
  13.    #13  
    I guess I'm just a little frustrated that I can't use wifi and also have my storage in. That's not so much a ram problem, but just Palm being stupid. I really wish they put wifi in these "top of the line" devices

    -Collin-
  14. burnsaa's Avatar
    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaZX6R View Post
    I guess I'm just a little frustrated that I can't use wifi and also have my storage in. That's not so much a ram problem, but just Palm being stupid. I really wish they put wifi in these "top of the line" devices

    -Collin-
    Well your in luck didnt you hear the news Palm just realesed a patch to enable wifi on the treos gotta love AFD
  15. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #15  
    Palm is changing its name to footspring.

    "Backhand" was also considered, but that name would have broadcasted their true business approach too openly, as they were already slapping their customers across the face with the 700p, support quality, etc, etc.
    I gotta have more cowbell
  16. darkfire's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    #16  
    It seems to be a common misconception that WM5 is the reason why Treo's use 240x240 resolution. There's a plethora of other devices running WM5 that support 320x240 and 320x320. There's still quite a bit lacking (aside from the memory and resolution) in Treos, especially our newest 750.
    - Why still USB 1.1 instead of 2.0?
    - Why no WiFi?
    - Why Bluetooth 1.2 instead of 2.0?
    - Why still a 1.3mp camera?

    For $400 with a 2-year, I expected more. I had a Treo 650 some time back (loved it), and I'm currently with T-Mobile using an MDA. I'm getting out of my contract in June, but I'm not interested in the Treo 750 at that price. Any rumors as to what's next in line for Treos (GSM)? The 750 won't be enough to make me jump over.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by darkfire View Post
    It seems to be a common misconception that WM5 is the reason why Treo's use 240x240 resolution. There's a plethora of other devices running WM5 that support 320x240 and 320x320. There's still quite a bit lacking (aside from the memory and resolution) in Treos, especially our newest 750.
    - Why still USB 1.1 instead of 2.0?
    - Why no WiFi?
    - Why Bluetooth 1.2 instead of 2.0?
    - Why still a 1.3mp camera?

    For $400 with a 2-year, I expected more. I had a Treo 650 some time back (loved it), and I'm currently with T-Mobile using an MDA. I'm getting out of my contract in June, but I'm not interested in the Treo 750 at that price. Any rumors as to what's next in line for Treos (GSM)? The 750 won't be enough to make me jump over.
    Ok, we all know there are 320x240 devices out there, that's the most common resolution...but can you show us any WM5 devices running 320x320? I'm pretty sure WM5 doesn't even support 320x320, but if you can find one I'll think otherwise.

    They're still on 1.1 instead of 2.0 probably because that's all you need for syncing small files to the system (contacts, docs, etc.). You'd really only need 2.0 if you were gonna transfer lots of large files to the SD card (maps, music, video, etc.), but that can (and should be IMO) done through a card reader.

    Why no wifi? This is probably a mix between Palm's sluggishness and the carriers not wanting wifi so users will buy data plans. However, if Palm wants the 750 to be more sucessful outside the US (namely, Europe), wifi is a lot more important. One could get a wifi card, but I'm sure most would rather opt for a device with wifi built in.

    BT 1.2, instead of 2.0? This one I just don't understand. I'll attribute this one to sluggishness too. I guess they figured no one needs anything more than 1.2, or perhaps BT 2.0 would have been expensive (but I doubt that).

    Why still a 1.3MP camera? Well technically the Treo is meant to be more of a business device, and the assumption is most business users don't really need fancy cameras, so there's no point in putting a better camera there. Many people aren't even allowed to have cameras where they work too.

    There hasn't really been anything announced as far as new Treos go. The only new activity is the 755p, but that's basically a rehashed 700p.
  18. darkfire's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    Ok, we all know there are 320x240 devices out there, that's the most common resolution...but can you show us any WM5 devices running 320x320? I'm pretty sure WM5 doesn't even support 320x320, but if you can find one I'll think otherwise.

    They're still on 1.1 instead of 2.0 probably because that's all you need for syncing small files to the system (contacts, docs, etc.). You'd really only need 2.0 if you were gonna transfer lots of large files to the SD card (maps, music, video, etc.), but that can (and should be IMO) done through a card reader.

    Why no wifi? This is probably a mix between Palm's sluggishness and the carriers not wanting wifi so users will buy data plans. However, if Palm wants the 750 to be more sucessful outside the US (namely, Europe), wifi is a lot more important. One could get a wifi card, but I'm sure most would rather opt for a device with wifi built in.

    BT 1.2, instead of 2.0? This one I just don't understand. I'll attribute this one to sluggishness too. I guess they figured no one needs anything more than 1.2, or perhaps BT 2.0 would have been expensive (but I doubt that).

    Why still a 1.3MP camera? Well technically the Treo is meant to be more of a business device, and the assumption is most business users don't really need fancy cameras, so there's no point in putting a better camera there. Many people aren't even allowed to have cameras where they work too.

    There hasn't really been anything announced as far as new Treos go. The only new activity is the 755p, but that's basically a rehashed 700p.
    http://www.pdadb.net/index.php?m=pdamaster - Go there, and enter 2 specifications, one being Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC Phone Edition, and the other being 320x320 minimum display depth. Many devices run WinMo5 on 320x320 or better.

    I'm also not saying a Treo should have a "fancy" 5mp camera or the like, but 1.3mp isn't worth much these days. There's many other devices, namely by HTC, with 2.0 and 3.0mp cameras that add a lot of value because of the higher image quality. Palm, as you noted, is sluggish, in this aspect and others.

    Of course, this is all my opinion. But it is my opinion, and I firmly believe that the 750 is overpriced for the hardware it contains. As I stated, I loved my 650, but I'll wait for Palm's next swing at a WM device before I jump back on board - the value just isn't there for me.
  19. #19  
    I went to that site, and as I expected, I didn't see any devices running at 320x320. I realize that there's 320x240 and 640x480 in WM5, but that doesn't automatically mean 320x320 is supported too. Therefore, as previously stated, WM5 is the reason why 320x320 was not possible in the current WM Treos. WM6 will fix this issue, but that fix will only come in the form of new devices.

    With the exception of a few phones, I haven't seen many phones currently on the US market that have anything more than 1.3 MP camera. Not saying it's the best, but 1.3MP still seems to be the most common camera phone resolution here. I'm sure outside of the US, people expect nothing less than 2 or 3 MP, but inside, Palm and many others still believe the average consumer doesn't need more than 1.3 MP.


    I too firmly believe that the 750 (and the 650 and 700p and 700wx) are overpriced based on the hardware they have, especially when other devices have more features and cost less. I'm in the same boat you are...I have a 650, but will probably wait for a 320x320 EvDO Rev A WM Treo, unlesss I can get a 700wx for cheap.
  20. darkfire's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    #20  
    You're correct on the resolution, sorry for the miscommunication. Out of curiosity, who's your carrier? I really hope we see a Treo 800 (or 780?) sometime before year's end. I'd hate to have to wait until next year for a new device.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions