Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post

    That being said, the [URL="http://www.wapuniverse.com"]
    Just some info about Deepfish from a mobile guy and web developer. Deepfish is nice, however, like every other browser, speed is determined by the network you are using and the device you have.

    EDIT: just becasue a product is discontinued does not mean your's will not work any more. What the heck is it with folks who act like that is the case?
    Antoine -- I don't have a WM, but I've read a couple places that deepfish is fast. And with anything, that's very close to priority #1 after readability. I'm using EVDO, so the speed of the data is there, and if using a proxy that compresses all the content, if done right, then that could be a great solution. Why DL everything when you don't need to see the detail of an advertisement? I haven't used universe/opera/etc and maybe it's time to do that.

    Depending upon my mood, I will spend time to search for software that works, but in the end, wouldn't it be just nice to have Palm provide 80% of what you need instead of 20%? It's great that Palm has a lot of developers that write software, but the reason why the third party software exists is because POS is providing a solution that lacks basic usability. Many people don't like MS for valid reasons. However, what is nice is that they incorporate basic functionality so that you don't need third party software to run things.

    I never said that the 700p won't work. However, I have heard a stat saying the avg person keeps a phone for about 18 months. I keep mine for 12-18 depending upon the next upgrade. Therefore, for me, the phone at 12 months is at the end of the lifecycle. For Sprint, it appears that the 700p will stop being sold in another month. Therefore, if the black box firmware upgrade shows up in the next couple weeks, then most users will probably use it on average for 6 months. Whereas some will use it for 1 month.

    My point by this post is that although I see a lot of promising news releases from Palm -- i.e. the hiring of Chatteremail Marc and the Apple OS guy, it appears that until their products hit the product line, which will take at least a year, then POS users are stuck with the same evolutionary crap.

    600 --> 650 --> 700 --> 755 -- The changes are minimal and could have been in 1 - 2 releases fewer.
  2. #22  
    Good points Gene.
    Deepfish is a proxy based browser, hence its speed.

    I totally agree that the phone should come for the most part ready to use. I wish ALL phone manufacturers could do that without carrier issues, and at the same time I understand why folks such as Palm feel some sense of providing value to developers.

    That all being said, I've found that there is nothing wrong with finding greener grass, but there is always something missing (for example, Symbian actually looks like a cool OS, until a bro looks it from a usability standpoint, it sucks worse the WM...you'd think with 75% of the market that they'd at least beat Palm in that area).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  3. #23  
    Since I got my 700p, I have been very careful about 3rd party apps that I add. Because of that, I have no resets. My only problem is bluetooth. But, for all my functionality, I can live with it. It's just not loud enough nor has the range of dumb phones.

    I have a 650 for my other line, a blackberry 7520 for work and my 700p. The 700p is hands down the best smart device. 650 is great but no fast blazer speeds. I have gotten used to EVDO. Blackberry just doesnt have the functionality. Other that basic phone and email, I dont like it much.

    I guess I say all of that to say do whats best for you. For me, Palm is still the king. Am I totally happy, No. But, I can live with some issues to have a computer in my pocket.

    I have issues with my iPod too, but it doesnt mean that its not kickin azz as an 80 gig hd, video and music player.
  4. Supes2000's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #24  
    I too have been a Palm Enthusiast for some time, in fact, I am a boomerang user...jumped ship to the iPaq, then back to Palm with the Treo 650.

    While I agree that Palm is slow to improve its OS features. And I drool over the iPhone and it's awesome interface...the fact is that if you look at the last couple years, someone always comes along and takes a technology and hardware to a whole new level.

    Anyone remember the Treo 600??? Remember the awe, the news, the sales???? This was less than 4 years ago....

    What happened? The rest of the market responded with clones, similar phones, features and add-ons. Then the RAZR hit, and it started all over again. We here even started begging for a thinner Treo!

    Treos continue to sell! They have a niche for the non-business consumer. The iPhone will up the ante for this market...BUT; be honest the iphone is nothing more than an iPod with an awesome browser and more limitations that the Treo 600 (no removeable battery)...

    All I am saying is this...be patient. The next 12 months are critical for Palm. And I believe that Palm or someone 3rd party will address the browser issues if it takes off, and then we all will be back here applauding Palm and Treos again.

    Cheers~
    Regards,

    Supes2000

    "His words burned like lamp in the darkness" -- Ecclesiasticus
  5. Supes2000's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #25  
    Believe or not I am considering buying another Treo 650 if my research and Sprint don't jive with the 755p.
    Regards,

    Supes2000

    "His words burned like lamp in the darkness" -- Ecclesiasticus
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Supes2000 View Post
    Believe or not I am considering buying another Treo 650 if my research and Sprint don't jive with the 755p.
    It'd be a mistake, the 755 has a heck of a lot more dbcache and heap space, thus is a lot more stable. And lots more user ram, which helps a great deal if you like installing lots of programs.

    I got a great deal on my 680, but before that I always said I was keeping my 650 until a Linux Treo came out. I'm glad I went with the 680, it's so much better than the 650.
  7. #27  
    As soon as this one comes out for Sprint: http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k9...92_340x291.jpg

    ...it's adios Palm. I only capitalized Palm for old times time's sake. But I've lost a lot of respect for them.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

    "To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-


  8. #28  
    The mogul has just been announced. So, I bet its not too far off.
  9. #29  
    I'm hoping. Come on LIBRA! I love that additional numerical keypad on the outside.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

    "To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-


  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    As soon as this one comes out for Sprint: http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k9...92_340x291.jpg

    ...it's adios Palm. I only capitalized Palm for old times time's sake. But I've lost a lot of respect for them.

    I have to agree that Palm has failed it's user base. I no longer promote them. I used to push Palm all the time but no more. I would be curious what is the real percentage of users that are switching (or thinking of it) or those who have already switched. I wonder how long before Palm see the decrease in sales. How long will it take them to get a bug free Linux Treo? Phone with no lag!!! The 755p just does not cut it!
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Supes2000 View Post
    I too have been a Palm Enthusiast for some time, in fact, I am a boomerang user...jumped ship to the iPaq, then back to Palm with the Treo 650.

    While I agree that Palm is slow to improve its OS features. And I drool over the iPhone and it's awesome interface...the fact is that if you look at the last couple years, someone always comes along and takes a technology and hardware to a whole new level.

    Anyone remember the Treo 600??? Remember the awe, the news, the sales???? This was less than 4 years ago....

    What happened? The rest of the market responded with clones, similar phones, features and add-ons. Then the RAZR hit, and it started all over again. We here even started begging for a thinner Treo!

    Treos continue to sell! They have a niche for the non-business consumer. The iPhone will up the ante for this market...BUT; be honest the iphone is nothing more than an iPod with an awesome browser and more limitations that the Treo 600 (no removeable battery)...

    All I am saying is this...be patient. The next 12 months are critical for Palm. And I believe that Palm or someone 3rd party will address the browser issues if it takes off, and then we all will be back here applauding Palm and Treos again.

    Cheers~
    What are we going to do for a year while we wait for Palm to release a better Treo?
  12. #32  
    You know, for a company which makes phones to help organize one's life, its PALM which needs the most help with organization.

    Meyerweb highlighted their ADD behavior with their OS perfectly a bit earlier. PALM has been behaving like a child without their medication as far as company organization.

    The lights are on but is there anyone behind the wheel?
  13. Supes2000's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    It'd be a mistake, the 755 has a heck of a lot more dbcache and heap space, thus is a lot more stable. And lots more user ram, which helps a great deal if you like installing lots of programs.

    I got a great deal on my 680, but before that I always said I was keeping my 650 until a Linux Treo came out. I'm glad I went with the 680, it's so much better than the 650.

    You're probably right...but when I consider the investment I have made in my 650: the GPS, extra battery, cases etc. I am having a hard time keeping up with the Jones'. So a replacement newer 650 might be the answer...

    Like cars, computers and in some cases wives, husbands, girlfriends and boyfriends...there is always "something better out there" or so I believe... it's downright masochistic!!

    Here's the bottom line for me:

    The iPhone while cool, it is a HUGE expence for a cool interface and web browser on a SSLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW network.

    I am too waiting for Palm to step up to the plate again, and no the Foleo doesnot count... POS!!! But in six onths or so when my contract is up, the lanscape will be different from now...then I will choose my OS!!
    Regards,

    Supes2000

    "His words burned like lamp in the darkness" -- Ecclesiasticus
  14. Supes2000's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #34  
    Before I forget.....anyone have idea if a Deepfish-like browser could work on the Palm OS?? Now that'd be cool and keep my loyality to palm if if it's a 3rd party app....
    Regards,

    Supes2000

    "His words burned like lamp in the darkness" -- Ecclesiasticus
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Supes2000 View Post
    Before I forget.....anyone have idea if a Deepfish-like browser could work on the Palm OS?? Now that'd be cool and keep my loyality to palm if if it's a 3rd party app....
    If Palm is smart and listening, they would incorporate some sort of advanced browsing in the next gen of treos. Either using deepfish or using a multitouch like screen ala iPhone.

    I haven't tried deepfish, but the concept, if done right could work better than the iPhone. By having a server compress the files for you for delivery, it would be faster than having a treo compress the screen into a readable format.

    Web browsing is probably the number 2 or 3 app maybe at worst 4 on most people's list.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by gene View Post
    If Palm is smart and listening, they would incorporate some sort of advanced browsing in the next gen of treos. Either using deepfish or using a multitouch like screen ala iPhone.

    I haven't tried deepfish, but the concept, if done right could work better than the iPhone. By having a server compress the files for you for delivery, it would be faster than having a treo compress the screen into a readable format.

    Web browsing is probably the number 2 or 3 app maybe at worst 4 on most people's list.
    try the opera mini 4 beta... it's interesting...
  17. #37  
    I've been a diehard Palm fan since the very first Palm device which must have been in 1995 or so. Every new release has been better than the last until the 750v. What a load of rubbish it is. Clunky, slow and unstable. Windows Mobile is the problem big time - really too much of a heavy load. But what finally made me give up is the poor reception of the device - dropouts and poor voice reception for those I call. On balance the thing is just frustrating. If the 750v is the way Treo is going then I'm giving up. If this is the pinaccle of evolution for Palm smartphones then they are going the same way as the Neanderthals - oblivion. Just ordered the Nokia e61i - not quite prepared to cross to the dark side with a Blackerry.
  18. #38  
    I'd like to share some personal experience. I love my 650 but it's quite big and clunky nowadays. So I tested various phone and ended up taking a gamble on a Blackberry Curve. The Curve was soooo nice. The keyboard was the best I had ever used on a smartphone. It had a 2mp camera and was very thin, small and light. I had high hopes for that phone.

    After 4 days, I had to let it go The software just wasn't as intuitive. I found myself spending twice as much time getting the same stuff done. Ie for now I can press just one or two buttons and I'm instantly in my tasks screen, another click and I have a new task open etc.. In Blackberry I had to scroll through menus, re-sort lists and do a lot more steps just to get the same thing done.

    The ultimate phone would be a palm powered Blackberry Curve! Better yet add in a touch screen and you'd be on top of the world! The Curve has a great trackball type data entry device that simply blows away the Treos 5-way button.

    However in the end I had to revert back to my Brick. Now I bought a 680 to replace the 650 and find myself fighting with the battery drain issue even after updating the ROM and following various instructions to stop it. I'm back in glitchland, carrying a somewhat smaller brick, longing for a more intuitive Blackberry Curve....

    Man that Curve was soooo nice!
  19. #39  
    I'm looking for HTC devices... in the next six months or so they could kill palm...

    but in general, palm can still build great devices. Palm needs to get out of the "head in a**" syndrom they have had over the last five or six years.

    I think most of us looking for great devices are stuck with sprint or verizon... I can't do att... not that great for where I live. Mogul, no... BB, no.... I want a touch screen and palm has the best device so far.... but competition is on the horizon.

    Quote Originally Posted by georgekessel View Post
    I'd like to share some personal experience. I love my 650 but it's quite big and clunky nowadays. So I tested various phone and ended up taking a gamble on a Blackberry Curve. The Curve was soooo nice. The keyboard was the best I had ever used on a smartphone. It had a 2mp camera and was very thin, small and light. I had high hopes for that phone.

    After 4 days, I had to let it go The software just wasn't as intuitive. I found myself spending twice as much time getting the same stuff done. Ie for now I can press just one or two buttons and I'm instantly in my tasks screen, another click and I have a new task open etc.. In Blackberry I had to scroll through menus, re-sort lists and do a lot more steps just to get the same thing done.

    The ultimate phone would be a palm powered Blackberry Curve! Better yet add in a touch screen and you'd be on top of the world! The Curve has a great trackball type data entry device that simply blows away the Treos 5-way button.

    However in the end I had to revert back to my Brick. Now I bought a 680 to replace the 650 and find myself fighting with the battery drain issue even after updating the ROM and following various instructions to stop it. I'm back in glitchland, carrying a somewhat smaller brick, longing for a more intuitive Blackberry Curve....

    Man that Curve was soooo nice!
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  20. #40  
    it's a brick....don't let anyone else tell you differently....there are other devices that can easily take its place unless you like to watch tv on it 24/7
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions