Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Hello,

It's good to be back in this forum after 2-3 years! I first got here just after the Treo 600 came out, and now I'm in need of some advice.

I'm looking for someone that has used the RF3 anti-radiation headset. You can see more information here:

http://www.nwbphones.com/rf3-105c.html

I know avoiding radiation is important, and unfortunately the device we all know and love (Treo 650 in my case) is not the lowest radiation emitter.

While I have tried getting some research on this headset - scientific data, not mindless propaganda - I can't seem to find any.

My choices for a headset are either the Etymotic Mobile Phone Headset, or the Jawbone.

Etymotic:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er22.aspx

Jawbone:

http://store.treocentral.com/content...1-31--2007.htm

I know RF signals can travel through the cable, and bluetooth headsets have a very minimal power output (like an FM signal) so it is actually safer than having the phone near your head.

I can pick between those two, but I need more information on that anti-radiation headset. Also, if anyone has the BIOPRO cell chip, let me know.

http://www.mybiopro.com/BioProTempla...tobetterhealth

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Anti-radiation??? Are you kidding me? Cell phones are not of a wavelength or energy that will cause permanent damage. The body readily repairs any damage caused by the energy of cell phone radiation. Do a little research and don't listen to the uneducated hype.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    http://www.mybiopro.com/BioProTempla...tobetterhealth

You should check this out. Spend $270 from the same company to protect yourself from.... wait for it... *trying not to laugh*.... ELECTROPOLUTION. I kid you not!!! Click on the link. This company is playing off people's ignorance. Please don't be one of them.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Er, do you happen to have any <em>scientific training</em> by chance? Phones do emit radiation and radio frequencies. And how said RF cannot travel by cable? However I do agree with you that some stuff that BIOPro is selling is quite dubious.

I did find a review by Cnet... apparently the little device won an award at the 2002 CES, so it's not a total waste.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Unical_RF3No...1.html?tag=sub

Northwestern Bell Phones officially makes these, these BIOPro people simply resell it. However I'm looking for someone that has used it so I can read his/her opinion. Thanks.
    Step 1. Wrap head in a roll of Reynolds Wrap Foil.
    Step 2. Encase head in 12" of concrete.

Now, at first your head is sure to lop around as you'll have to relearn how to balance it. But in time, you'll adjust. Now go my friend, and be safe in knowledge that you'll be radiation free.

MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Wow, really? I have never heard of that. Lame.

Now seriously, if anyone has used these headsets, please post. If you haven't, then don't.
    Anything can win an award at CES for the right price. I've been involved with the process and have seen it happen.

I haven't used any of the headsets mentioned, but I have a pair of Etymotic earphones (ER6i) and I can say that they blow every other pair I've tried away.

As far as your fear of EM radiation.... The term 'radiation' as popularized by the atomic age refers to ionizing radiation. Anything below UV is nonionizing and hasn't been proven in repeatable experiments or studies to cause physiological harm at the levels emitted by your phone.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Thanks for the (first) thoughtful response.

I have the ER4-S headphones from Etymotic for 4 years now, and they are still working as they day I bought them. If these guys made a wireless headset for cellphones I would buy it in an instant. They came out with bluetooth wireless headphones, so it is not a stretch to say that eventually this will come.

I said radio frequencies can travel to the cable, and that is true, but I did not mention that it would be an immediate health hazard - most likely not. My concern is long-term, and I think it is legitimate.

Also, thanks for the CES comment. I saw the review on CNET, but funny enough I can't find scientific research by the makers of this thing. On the other hand, you can call or write Etymotic and they'll send you their data ASAP.

I actually want to get 2 headsets, one wired and one bluetooth, so if anyone has a recommendation for a headset that (1) works great, (2) looks fantastic, (3) not everyone has (yes, gadget envy), let me know.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Wassat? You want something not too popular...

http://shop.hulger.com/product.php

Of course, the whole pokia concept is old-hat nowadays, but at least there's no radiation!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Wow... not a lot of thoughtful responses around here. Sigh...
    You're being an a-hole happy5
    Quote Originally Posted by happy5 View Post
    Wow... not a lot of thoughtful responses around here. Sigh...

I share your interest in being as proactive about reducing radiation as possible. The fact that "repeatable" testing has not been done simply proves that once the first test came back with damning evidence, no further testing was done. Regarding bluetooth headsets, because of the need for them to have a discreet radio inside the headphones, I've read that the radiation can be comparable, if not worse than that emitted by the handset. I make no claim of expertise, or authority, however. I'm trying to find out what sort of long term testing HAS been carried out, and am also looking into the best headset/ earpiece solution.

Regards,

EWT
    I'm a college student a month away from receiving my bachelor's in physics and I can definitely tell you that there is no way cell phone radiation can harm you. Here's why:

Radio waves, microwaves, visible light, x-rays, etc. are all the same fundamental particle: the photon. The difference between them is what wavelength the photon has. Radio waves have a wavelength on the order of a meter, microwaves are on the order of 1 centimeter, visible light on the order of 500 nanometers (a nanometer is a billionth of a meter), and x-rays on the order of 1 nanometer.

X-rays are bad for you. They are very very tiny, only about 10 times larger than an atom. When the x-rays hit you they are as small as your dna and so they can knock parts of your dna in your cells around and screw it up. Normaly that cell would just die because the dna is bad, but sometimes the dna gets screwed up in just the right way where the cell keeps living and going out of control (cancer).

Microwaves are way too big to affect your dna. They are huge compared to your dna. When you microwave some food the microwaves don't knock off any particles even though you might have 1000 watts of microwave radiation. That's because microwave photons are too big to do that. What does happen is the microwaves "massage" the water molecules and cause them to vibrate, which translates to heat. So even if you stuck your hand in a microwave and turned it on, you would not get cancer. You would burn your hand pretty badly, inside and out, but you would not get cancer. And your cell phone is much much less powerful than your microwave oven. So the worst thing that your cell phone could possibly do to you is heat up your head. But if you do the math, there simply isn't enough energy coming out of it to heat your head up. And even if there was enough energy, it's not tuned to the right frequency to heat up water. So you're safe. And even if you weren't, I'm pretty sure that you receive more microwave radiation from all the hundreds and thousands of broadcasting cell towers and other people's phones than you do from your own close phone.

In fact it was Einstein that helped discover that photons can only damage things that are about the same size as the wavelength.
    While I can appreciate your response, I can't accept it at face value. For one thing, there has been no scientific consensus on the long term effect of cell phone use. If it were as simple as you indicated, it would be a closed matter. I know that after extended periods of talking on the cell, I get a headache. While I'm not ascribing this to cancerous radiation emissions from the phone, it does trouble me. Frankly, the fact that my head is being heated by the cell phones microwaves doesn't thrill me. The bottom line is I'm interested in reducing the physical ramifications of cell phone usage, especially those pertaining to the radiation I absorb.

Quote Originally Posted by tribble222 View Post
    I'm a college student a month away from receiving my bachelor's in physics and I can definitely tell you that there is no way cell phone radiation can harm you. Here's why:

Radio waves, microwaves, visible light, x-rays, etc. are all the same fundamental particle: the photon. The difference between them is what wavelength the photon has. Radio waves have a wavelength on the order of a meter, microwaves are on the order of 1 centimeter, visible light on the order of 500 nanometers (a nanometer is a billionth of a meter), and x-rays on the order of 1 nanometer.

X-rays are bad for you. They are very very tiny, only about 10 times larger than an atom. When the x-rays hit you they are as small as your dna and so they can knock parts of your dna in your cells around and screw it up. Normaly that cell would just die because the dna is bad, but sometimes the dna gets screwed up in just the right way where the cell keeps living and going out of control (cancer).

Microwaves are way too big to affect your dna. They are huge compared to your dna. When you microwave some food the microwaves don't knock off any particles even though you might have 1000 watts of microwave radiation. That's because microwave photons are too big to do that. What does happen is the microwaves "massage" the water molecules and cause them to vibrate, which translates to heat. So even if you stuck your hand in a microwave and turned it on, you would not get cancer. You would burn your hand pretty badly, inside and out, but you would not get cancer. And your cell phone is much much less powerful than your microwave oven. So the worst thing that your cell phone could possibly do to you is heat up your head. But if you do the math, there simply isn't enough energy coming out of it to heat your head up. And even if there was enough energy, it's not tuned to the right frequency to heat up water. So you're safe. And even if you weren't, I'm pretty sure that you receive more microwave radiation from all the hundreds and thousands of broadcasting cell towers and other people's phones than you do from your own close phone.

In fact it was Einstein that helped discover that photons can only damage things that are about the same size as the wavelength.
    Quote Originally Posted by ewthompson View Post
    While I can appreciate your response, I can't accept it at face value. For one thing, there has been no scientific consensus on the long term effect of cell phone use. If it were as simple as you indicated, it would be a closed matter. I know that after extended periods of talking on the cell, I get a headache. While I'm not ascribing this to cancerous radiation emissions from the phone, it does trouble me. Frankly, the fact that my head is being heated by the cell phones microwaves doesn't thrill me. The bottom line is I'm interested in reducing the physical ramifications of cell phone usage, especially those pertaining to the radiation I absorb.
    Fair enough. I'm wondering though, where you'll put the phone? If it's anywhere on your body it'll be near other vital internal organs I would think. Unless you strap it to your foot...
    Fair enough. I'm wondering though, where you'll put the phone? If it's anywhere on your body it'll be near other vital internal organs I would think. Unless you strap it to your foot...
    Can't. You'll find empty boxes of kleenex on their feet. And don't ask what they have in those jars stacked up in the closet.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Typically it's in my pocket, so on the outside of my thigh. Several inches from certain critical organs. Othertimes it's in my jacket pocket. In both situations it's farther away from anything critical than when it's pressed up against my ear. I expect there'll always be some potential compromise...it's the cost of using imperfect technology...

EWT

I'm just wondering, how much do you use your phone in a day? If you're worried that much about cell phone radiation a Treo probably isn't for you. The LG Chocolate has a .08 W/Kg SAR level (compared with the 700p's level of 1.48). Still I think you're more likely to die in a car accident than from cell phone radiation. If it bothers you that much go to the store, get a wired headset and coat your body with sunscreen under your phone where ever you put it on your body. If you get a call on the way to the store, don't forget to shoot sunscreen in your ear before you take that call.
    you cats are a hilarious bunch!
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion View Post
    Can't. You'll find empty boxes of kleenex on their feet. And don't ask what they have in those jars stacked up in the closet.
    Heh heh. This reminds me of how people consider Ruth to be so innocent(in the Old Testament) when she "uncovers Boaz's feet" until they realize that with the proper hebrew, its anything but.
    But I'm getting off subject here....