1.    #1  
    Lets go back in time... Just when there was hope for the Palm OS and before everything went upside down for the Palm OS. Read...
    http://www.betanews.com/article/Palm...ees/1073676965
    Now that you mention it, I'm curious. What was so flawed about Cobalt that kept developers away from it?
  3.    #3  
    Well, rumor has it that Palm did not like all the bells and whistles in it, thus since Palm was not adopting it, developers could not develop for it
    And now, 3 years later, Palm OS 5.xx is still slowly dying.

Also, let's consider that a main driving point for Palm in its decision to implement WM5 on its Treos was due to the fact that countries outside of the USA really didn't want POS (as stated in the earnings release) and that these countries much preferred to have WM. So, as Palm goes global (where the real growth market is), what chance does POS really have of surviving?
    They also stated that there is a market going forward for the PalmOS. They have spent 10 years building a user and provider base. It would be silly to walk away from it. Why would they have spent the money on the permanent license to alter Garnet?

POS IS HERE TO STAY.
    Quote Originally Posted by tj8212 View Post
    Well, rumor has it that Palm did not like all the bells and whistles in it, thus since Palm was not adopting it, developers could not develop for it
    I meant hardware developers, not software, I guess I should have made that more clear. In other words, I was wondering why Palm and the other licensees (at the time, there were still a bunch) didn't use Cobalt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    They also stated that there is a market going forward for the PalmOS. They have spent 10 years building a user and provider base. It would be silly to walk away from it. Why would they have spent the money on the permanent license to alter Garnet?

POS IS HERE TO STAY.
    Until this user base (that is predominately US-based) continues to dwindle to the point that Palm no longer sees the value of producing Palm OS Treos.