1.    #1  
    If Motorola gets Palm will that be the end of the Palm O/S. in my opinion .(ANd only my opinion) I think so ( But I dont hope so)

I got this off of palmaddictand says what I think better then I can write it. But esentially my feelings. I just hope that SlingPlayer gets there Palm OS out before this happens. LOL.

http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmaddicts/

So, if a private equity firm ends up as the buyer I wouldn't expect to see much change at Palm and what changes do take place should be for the better - at least from a Palm Addict point of view.

The picture changes greatly if the purchaser ends up being a public company, such as Motorola. In this case the acquiring company generally wants part of the business that it considers complimentary to its own business plans. It doesn't really care about the non-complimentary parts and will typically either close them down or sell them off. Large management changes are also par for the course, with the acquired company's management being replaced with new management from the purchasing company. After all, the purpose of the acquisition is to further the acquiring company's business plan, and this is much better understood by the acquiring company's own management. Thus we often see wholesale firings in such a situation.

If, for example, Palm is bought by Motorola we would see a much different scenario than the one I mentioned above. Motorola is struggling in the high end of the phone market and it would make sense for them to "buy into" the market by acquiring a successful line like the Treo. It would not make sense, however, for them to continue any of the Palm OS line of products. Motorola is a Windows Mobile shop and a Palm OS line would be a distraction and incur extra support costs. If this happened I would expect that this generation of Treos would be the last to use the Palm OS. I would also expect to see the entire line of Palm PDAs dropped, as it is not even remotely part of Motorola's core business.

So, as Palm Addicts, we can see that the class of purchaser who ends up owning Palm could make a huge difference in the direction of the company. That is if the rumors are even true! I guess we should know in a couple of days.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    It looks like motorola has plenty of their own troubles...
    http://wap.usatoday.com/news.jsp?key=617524
  3.    #3  
    Yikes and we thought Palm was bad.

Also I have a question , if Motorola or another company owns palm would that change the chances if they do make another treo that SPrint wouldnt carry it. Just curious.
    Most likely, if they get aquired by Moto or Nokia, the currently built lineup (including the already in the pipeline Sherlock) will still go off. After that, who knows.
    Private equity is a whole other can o worms.
    "It would not make sense, however, for them to continue any of the Palm OS line of products. Motorola is a Windows Mobile shop and a Palm OS line would be a distraction and incur extra support costs."

Actually, Motorola is fairly promiscuous when it comes to OS. As well as WM devices they have devices with both Linux:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03..._unveils_ming/

and Symbian:

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...er-with-hsdpa/

The Linux-powered MING seems to be selling really well:

http://www.abiresearch.com/abiprdisplay.jsp?pressid=826

So add in a fourth (Palm's Linux-based Palm OS) or swap one of the above for Palm OS? It's anyone's guess but not completely without hope that Palm OS will figure in future phones if Moto take over.
    Motorola DOES support every smartphone OS known to man including Linux and UIQ3. Bizarre I know.
    1. I don't think Palm will sell out.

2. If they do, it will be to Private Equity that shares their vision for the brand and the future. (They will not be sold to be just chopped up and discarded. As I believed in the 700P, so to, do I believe this.)

3. Colbalt and spliting Palm Source off was a 2 year derailment. We are back on track, neat stuff is ahead.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    1. I don't think Palm will sell out.

2. If they do, it will be to Private Equity that shares their vision for the brand and the future. (They will not be sold to be just chopped up and discarded. As I believed in the 700P, so to, do I believe this.)

3. Colbalt and spliting Palm Source off was a 2 year derailment. We are back on track, neat stuff is ahead.

Cheers, Perry.
    How so on track? Palm no longer owns it's OS, it has some rights to the old and outdated one, that's it. If the new ALP comes out, it has NOTHING to do with palm unless they pay more. They are a hardware only company now. They are doing what they can to get back into shape with that fact, but the truth is they sold their soul. The future of palm os is in Access, not palm. What you love and take pride in now has no relationship to the company called palm now.
    Jeff Hawkins, in his recent interview, presented different views. He think its first time palm got its future in its own hand. But again we should ask why would Palm should sell the company if its "making lots of money" as Jeff mentioned. We will see what happens today at Palm HQ.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.