Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    thanks. Hopefully this fresh faces will bring something refereshing
    If Palm is really looking for a private buyer, this means to me they are looking for money to launch a new product.

That puzzles me because they don't have an OS, what the hell are they going to do??
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    If Palm is really looking for a private buyer, this means to me they are looking for money to launch a new product.

That puzzles me because they don't have an OS, what the hell are they going to do??
    They don't have an OS - as far as you know. That doesn't mean there isn't something coming in the very near future that is currently unannounced.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    This may be a stupid question, but what does this 'potentially immenient buyout' mean for coverged device users?

Will the newest coverged device(s) be able to run the programs we use today, i.e. Agendus, Pocket Informant, Google maps, ZLauncher, PocketBreeze, etc, etc?

Also, how will this affect the cell phone providers? Am I willing/able to switch providers because I can't get the type of converged device another provider offers?

Finally, what about the devices we own presently? Could cell phone providers pull the plug and stop supporting/supplying a device because the company no longer exists? If Palm is bought out, will the newest devices (regardless of OS) maintain the current level of support?

Just a few ridiculous questions (no need to mention the obvious) I thought I would ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Would it be fairly stupid of me to say: "While I believe in the 900P, I do not believe Palm will be sold this month -- or even this year."?

Well, for a few hours thus far today, I am staying ahead of stupid . . . . but the day and month are long -- and did I really say year? Jeesh.
  6. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Sooo, does this mean Palm's out of the woods for now? Or do we ultimately find out during the quarterly report?
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    A Palm Inc. buyout could be finalized by Thursday this week, demanding $20 or more per share, according to sources close to the situation. Nokia Corp. (NYSE: NOK - message board) is seen as the leading vendor bidder; while Palm's management is said to prefer a private equity buyer.
    Palm can prefer all it wants about the buyer. The bottom line is the buyer with the most dough wins the prize, whether they like it or not. Even if the company wind up being sold to a private equity firm, there's no guarantee that it would not be resold to Nokia or Motorola at a later date. All these private equity firms do is repackage the company and sell it to someone else. They don't care about Palm's vision nor do they care about their products.
  8.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Well, for a few hours thus far today, I am staying ahead of stupid . . . . .
    You sure have
    and as for me, I really was not the one that put the word "imminent", for some reason it just appeared there
    Now Palm -- make us smile with awe on what is to come. . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete View Post
    Palm can prefer all it wants about the buyer. The bottom line is the buyer with the most dough wins the prize, whether they like it or not. Even if the company wind up being sold to a private equity firm, there's no guarantee that it would not be resold to Nokia or Motorola at a later date. All these private equity firms do is repackage the company and sell it to someone else. They don't care about Palm's vision nor do they care about their products.
    Not quite right, palm can sell to whoever they like. They don't have to accept the highest offer, this isn't a auction. It's a private sale. Though you are also correct later on anything is fair game (unless they have a contract to limit their ability to resale for some time period).
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Treo 700WX - VZW
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    A major shareholder of Palm expects Motorola to announce a deal to acquire Palm for about $2 billion as soon as Thursday
    Er that was yesterday, don't see any announcement
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite View Post
    Not quite right, palm can sell to whoever they like. They don't have to accept the highest offer, this isn't a auction. It's a private sale. Though you are also correct later on anything is fair game (unless they have a contract to limit their ability to resale for some time period).
    You are right about the private sale. It's private, so they can choose their suitor. The other matter that interests me is whether Jeff Hawkins will have to come forward with his top secret work with his own startup company after this sale.
    Um, yes it is a private sale. By the shareholders. Management negotiates. Board approves. But the final say is with the shareholders. so if management tells the shareholders to take less money the shareholders might tell management to . . . .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12