Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Heya,

Just dropping in to say hi.

I just got a Treo 680 (and a 650 for my dad) - love em !
    Palm OS (even though it is very limited in terms of features and old) is quite nice, incredibly snappy, and well thought through - aj lijjke!

Now to search for soft...

Palm M100 -> Handspring Treo 90 -> Sony Clie NR70v -> Dell Axim X3 adv. -> Dell Axim x50v -> Dell Axim x51v -> nothing.

Razr Z3 -> Nokia N73 -> Samsung i320n -> Nokia N73 -> HTC TyTN -> Palm Treo 680
    Ha! Another fellow Aximsiter! Welcome to the not-so-dark side, maybe an off shade of white.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Haha, yep! It's migration season for Aximsiters

Palm M100 -> Handspring Treo 90 -> Sony Clie NR70v -> Dell Axim X3 adv. -> Dell Axim x50v -> Dell Axim x51v -> nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by kerunt View Post
    Palm OS (even though it is very limited in terms of features and old) is quite nice, incredibly snappy, and well thought through - aj lijjke!

Now to search for soft...
    Yeah, I'm loving being back to DateBook5 (now Datebook 6) I love it!
    Other than multitasking, do you really feel the Palm OS is limiting?
    Just off the top of my head, and keep in mind this is not an indictment of either OS, one thing I really enjoyed about WM was the (to me anyway) seamless transfer of Word and Excel docs. I realize there are some users who will disagree but for what I used it for it was great. since moving to the treo (which I absolutely love) I've had nothing but trouble with docs to go (a purchased, upgraded copy) to the point of not even using any more. I even jumped through all the hoops that palm has on their website. So I do miss the docs. Otherwise, I'm lovin' the treo. Maybe someday soon the 700wx will come down enough that I can "justify" making the jump.
    Vinnie
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    I can listen to music, chat, and play games, surf the web or work on PIM stuff at the same time...how much more could I be doing?? I was on my laptop last night doing the exact same thing so I think the Palm OS is fine for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    I can listen to music, chat, and play games, surf the web or work on PIM stuff at the same time...how much more could I be doing?? I was on my laptop last night doing the exact same thing so I think the Palm OS is fine for me.
    I couldnt agree more. And actually if you throw in Chatter "working" in the background with my IMAP account that's even more. People just need to come to grips with the fact that each OS (palm and wm) has lots of great features, and each OS has some drawbacks, and really it boils down to what works best for the individual user. (or what your company has issued you )

One other thing I really liked about my WM device was I had my Today screen royally pimped out. The only thing that was missing was a constant data connection, like the treo. I'm sure if I took the time to look around I could do the same for my 650, but I think I have close to 300$ invested in 3rd party software, between WM and Palm. So my wife would not be real happy if I took to purchasing more software
    My 680 is the most stable phone I've ever owned. No resets in 4 months of use. None. I get text and email messages every day, use DateBk5 for my calendar, plus do all the usual phone call stuff like voicemail, conference calling, etc. This phone handles everything in stride.
    Are you using DTG 9? It uses Office in native formats - I use spreadsheets with a lot of formatting, colors, formulas, etc. and have zero issues. I never did with DTG 6-8, either, but it was slower while they "re-wrote" them from the DTG format to the MS formats. None of that seems to happen anymore. This is probably one of the apps I'm most happy with - check with Dataviz if you're having problems - it should work very smoothly. Most folks think the Dataviz stuff works better than the Pocket Office stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by john_v View Post
    Just off the top of my head, and keep in mind this is not an indictment of either OS, one thing I really enjoyed about WM was the (to me anyway) seamless transfer of Word and Excel docs. I realize there are some users who will disagree but for what I used it for it was great. since moving to the treo (which I absolutely love) I've had nothing but trouble with docs to go (a purchased, upgraded copy) to the point of not even using any more. I even jumped through all the hoops that palm has on their website. So I do miss the docs. Otherwise, I'm lovin' the treo. Maybe someday soon the 700wx will come down enough that I can "justify" making the jump.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    A bit early for me to say at this point.

I didn't use multi-tasking all that much on my WM devices - once in a while yeah, but not on a day to day basis.

Like john_v, I do miss the Today screen (I also had mine pimped out ).

I browsed through Handago and Palmgear web-sites and was a bit disappointed. I didn't find as much interesting software as I expected. WM seems to be better in this department. However, I'm fairly OK with the built in soft and a few small additions... so far.

I am trying to figure out what to do, since my Axim X50v died a couple weeks ago. I had the Treo 600 before the Axim.

My undecision arises from already having a 3G capable Cingular phone. Do I buy a 3G Cingular Treo? Or a Palm with bluetooth, and tether that way. Couple hundred dollar difference