Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Greetings, all.

I presently have an unlocked Treo 680 and use Cingular for voice/data. In about two months, I'll be moving to Copenhagen to take up a two-year postdoc fellowship at the University of Copenhagen. I've become quite dependent on my 680 in the short time I've owned it--it's my first Treo--and I hope to be able to continue to use it while abroad.

Denmark uses GSM technology, so I'm assuming that the phone will work. I'm a bit naive about this sort of thing, however, so my questions are:

Should I just buy a new SIM card with a new provider when I arrive over there?
    Does anyone have any recommended carriers for Denmark/Copenhagen?

I've done a fair bit of searching thus far but haven't come up with much in the way of helpful information.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by no_basho View Post
    Greetings, all.

I presently have an unlocked Treo 680 and use Cingular for voice/data. In about two months, I'll be moving to Copenhagen to take up a two-year postdoc fellowship at the University of Copenhagen. I've become quite dependent on my 680 in the short time I've owned it--it's my first Treo--and I hope to be able to continue to use it while abroad.

Denmark uses GSM technology, so I'm assuming that the phone will work. I'm a bit naive about this sort of thing, however, so my questions are:

Should I just buy a new SIM card with a new provider when I arrive over there?
    Does anyone have any recommended carriers for Denmark/Copenhagen?

I've done a fair bit of searching thus far but haven't come up with much in the way of helpful information.

Thanks!
    Welcome to Denmark. I live in Copenhagen, and i feel confident that i can answer your questions.

Yes, the _PHONE_ will work fine in Copenhagen, and all over Denmark. Sweden as well, and the rest of europe. You will definately need a new sim card because else it simply gets too expensive if you are roaming.

There are lots of different providers, but if you want to use the EDGE network you are forced to use Telia (in the future Debitel might have EDGE as well, since Telia just bought Debitel, but for now Debitel uses UMTS or GRPS.). The rest of the providers offer GRPS or UMTS (3. generation GSM network).

Almost all the cheap plans are with a prepair provider. I use CBB my self, but there are tons of others. Telmore is another choice. Basically there are "4" GSM networks in Denmark, owned by 3, Sonofon TDC, and Telia. 3 is a pure UMTS network, though they do offer roaming in GRPS land. But avoid it, they are expensive with Crappy service anyway.

CBB are owned by Sonofon and thus uses Sonofon's network. Sonofon does provide their own phone services, usually more expensive than CBB.

Telmore are owned by TDC and thus uses TDC's network. TDC does provide their own phone services, usually more expensive than Telmore.

CBB and Telmore are quite similar in prices, but i think CBB is a little cheaper, thats why i use them.

There are alot of other phone companies than this, one major is Tele2, but they too uses Sonofons GSM network, at least they did when i used them some years ago.

If you want a homephone as well that cant be moved, you do have options as well, but the physical phone network is owned by TDC, and they do milk it for what it is worth.

JonB
    ps: what will be your expertise at university of copenhagen? maybe i'll run into you, since i study computer science myself.
    Congratulations on the postdoc fellowship!
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    JonB:

Thanks vey much for the exceedingly helpful information. Your post has clarified a number of things. I've sent you a PM.

Trojanvision:

Thanks! It should be a great oppotunity. People consistently rave about Copenhagen--I've never been--so it should be a great experience.