1. GadgetGuyForeva
    Hello,

I'm currently using a Samsung MM-A800 and would like to upgrade. My contract with Sprint is up in August. I have to be honest and tell you that I don't really NEED a smartphone, but I'm one of those people that has to have the latest and greatest (keeping up with the jone's). I've been told that since I've never had a PDA before that I should not get a Treo and go with a Motorola Q instead. I'm not sure I want a Q though. The reason is because I've heard the Q has a inferior battery and it can't handle many of the programs that the higher end smartphones (i.e. Treo's) can handle. Please help me to make a good decision, one that I won't regret. Thanks.
    Wait until June and see what Sprint's next Treo offering is and what the iPhone on Cingular looks like . . . .

If you do not need a Smartphone/PDA (Contacts,Calendar,Tasks, Memos, EMail, Internet access, Camera, 3rd party applications) I am not sure why you would want to pay for a data plan just to have the latest and greatest. . .

If you are not tied to Sprint -- the iPhone in June on Cingular may intrigue you for the wow factor . . . . .

I would do a T chart on what your needs/wants are and then compare all of the competition for features and price. . . . . . .if you do not need 3rd party business applications and are just looking for the COOL factor -- the iPhone may be your next phone.

Cheers, Perry.
    If your at all interested in these things you will find yourself exploring all possible uses so get more than what you think you'll need so you'll have room to grow. Don't get a cut down version of a computer. Get a real computer and since you haven't yet attached yourself to on OS or another go for the most powerful, feature rich OS . Go for the Treo wx. It is one heck of a handy dandy computer!
    Having owned all of the above, I now have a Q. If you are a calendar junkie like me, just load Xtreme Agenda or Agenda One on your Q. They provide all functions I rely on each day. Plus, watching Slingbox on my Q is a definite bonus.

Bottom line, it's a good compromise between a bulky Treo and will take care of 99% of most users' needs. I am a "power user" and the Q meets my demands quite nicely.

If you are concerned about the battery life, let me tell you the Q gets just as much time as my wx or 6700 did. You basically have to charge any CDMA PDA/Smartphone daily, that's just the way it is.

Good luck.
  5. GadgetGuyForeva
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Wait until June and see what Sprint's next Treo offering is and what the iPhone on Cingular looks like . . . .

If you do not need a Smartphone/PDA (Contacts,Calendar,Tasks, Memos, EMail, Internet access, Camera, 3rd party applications) I am not sure why you would want to pay for a data plan just to have the latest and greatest. . .

If you are not tied to Sprint -- the iPhone in June on Cingular may intrigue you for the wow factor . . . . .

I would do a T chart on what your needs/wants are and then compare all of the competition for features and price. . . . . . .if you do not need 3rd party business applications and are just looking for the COOL factor -- the iPhone may be your next phone.

Cheers, Perry.
    To be honest Perry, I don't need any of what you listed except for the Contacts, Internet access, Camera, and 3rd party applications. I can't go with Cingular because there is no service with them where I live. Around me there is, but there seems to be a bubble around my house.

Thanks for the response.
  6. GadgetGuyForeva
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesRitter View Post
    If your at all interested in these things you will find yourself exploring all possible uses so get more than what you think you'll need so you'll have room to grow. Don't get a cut down version of a computer. Get a real computer and since you haven't yet attached yourself to on OS or another go for the most powerful, feature rich OS . Go for the Treo wx. It is one heck of a handy dandy computer!
    I'm considering it. I just want to make sure I make the correct decision.
  7. GadgetGuyForeva
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    Having owned all of the above, I now have a Q. If you are a calendar junkie like me, just load Xtreme Agenda or Agenda One on your Q. They provide all functions I rely on each day. Plus, watching Slingbox on my Q is a definite bonus.

Bottom line, it's a good compromise between a bulky Treo and will take care of 99% of most users' needs. I am a "power user" and the Q meets my demands quite nicely.

If you are concerned about the battery life, let me tell you the Q gets just as much time as my wx or 6700 did. You basically have to charge any CDMA PDA/Smartphone daily, that's just the way it is.

Good luck.
    Calendar junkie, no. Slingbox looks extremely cool. Battery life is the biggest concern, but if I charge it as much as I do my MM-A800, then I should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGuyForeva View Post
    To be honest Perry, I don't need any of what you listed except for the Contacts, Internet access, Camera, and 3rd party applications. I can't go with Cingular because there is no service with them where I live. Around me there is, but there seems to be a bubble around my house.

Thanks for the response.
    Well, the "except for 3rd party applications" part is a mouth full. What I did before I bought a pda/phone was decide what 3rd party applications I needed then went to handango and and various other software websites to searched each need. I had 12 basic needs. A good alarm clock, dictionary, atlas, encyclopedia, stopwatch, to do list, checkbook registry, photoviewer, word, excel, power point, Internet radio player and mapping program.

So I spent hours on software websites to see what platform offered what I needed. Palm had every category and several options for each. PPC had 9 out of 12 and smart phone had 3. Of course that was years ago.

So it might bee a good idea to look at what you might need and aim high. Like I said you'll find needs you didn't know you had if your at all interested in handheld computer phones.