Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Maybe for some people; however, there are still many of us who are not in to devices that the iPhone represents. Ben
    Umm...they must be joking. System...SEVEN? heh a far cry from the iPhone, and have you heard of the "LifeDrive"? "TX"? Heck, the m500/Palm V? They have the form factor in there somewhere, they just need to throw the right guts into them shells.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    I think instead of responding to the iPhone (which in my opinion, does not pose a major threat to Palm's market), I think they should focus on

1. Catching up to everyone else technology wise....c'mon, no wifi on PalmOS Treos, no UMTS/HSDPA, and I'm sure there won't be EvDO Revision A either.

2. Making things that work.....after recently getting my 650, I want to get a 700p for the EvDO, memory, and better cam, but I'm scared when I see all these posts about resets, horrible bluetooth, etc. My 650 is basically a rock and hardly ever resets

3. Making changes that make sense. Why have a green button and a phone button? Why move the menu button all the way to the bottom of the keyboard? And I haven't really played much with a 680 or 750, but I don't think the 1 mm or so that they chopped off could possibly be worth the 600 mah sacrifice in battery life. If a device is going to be slimmer, make it much slimmer, not barely noticably slimmer.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    "The designer, Paul Mercer, a former Apple computer engineer, began work three weeks ago at Palm on a line of new products"

Isn't that about the time Marc from Chatter joined Palm, too?

I'm just sayin'...
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124 View Post
    "The designer, Paul Mercer, a former Apple computer engineer, began work three weeks ago at Palm on a line of new products"

I'm just sayin'...
    Marc has joined Palm!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124 View Post

I'm just sayin'...
    I'm sure there are many projects going on at Palm, but I hope this means that they'll put a decent GUI onto their new email app. Marc has always been resistant to pretty GUIs.
    Personally I like the Chatter GUI as is. Simple, clear, and works well.
    And Zork was an awesome adventure game. At the time, there didn't seem to be much room for improvement.
    This looks like it might be the job posting Paul Mercer filled, or a position that falls under him:

Sr. Visual Designer
    Job ID 2983
    Location USA - Sunnyvale
    Category
    Date Posted Feb 19, 2007

Overview:

Palm is looking for an outstanding visual and human interface designer to work on the next generation of Mobile Computing. The Sr. Visual Designer will be part of a team responsible for the look-and-feel, visual design and information flow of all mobile device applications.

The designer will be responsible for conceptualizing, designing, and prototyping new application designs, creating design mockups, producing visual assets and writing documentation required for proper design implementation.

The Sr. Visual Designer will work with the product marketing and engineering teams to create intuitive and compelling experiences across mobile devices and the web.

The ideal candidate needs to be an exceptional visual designer, and enjoy interaction design, and information architecture, and be able to demonstrate experience designing complex applications with extremely elegant visual treatments.

Duties/Responsibilities:

• Lead product design sessions with a cross-functional team of product managers and engineering to develop new products and enhancements to existing products
    • Create task analyses, use cases, UI models, information architecture, wire frames, mock-ups and prototypes, screen layouts, design specs & guidelines, and screenflows with little direction
    • Translate product requirements into compelling, innovative design solutions
    • Develop and maintain design flows, usage scenarios, prototypes, design specifications, navigation maps and other design documents
    • Develop expert-level knowledge of competitive and complementary products and bring new ideas to the team
    • Create simple interactive Flash prototypes
    • Foster a constructive environment for brainstorming and idea exploration

Skill/Experience:
    • Five (5) or more years experience as a key member of a user experience team or design firm
    • An outstanding portfolio that includes mobile, web or desktop based application experience, and demonstrates a variety of styles
    • Proven track record and a passion for designing compelling, award-winning user interfaces for consumer-based applications
    • Brand identity experience is a plus
    • Excellent communication skills & collaborative skills
    • Solid understanding of user-centered design principles, careful attention to detail
    • Ability to communicate effectively with product managers and engineers about objectives, requirements and design constraints
    • Proven ability to balance multiple projects while meeting tight deadlines
    • Expert use of standard graphic design applications such as Illustrator, Photoshop and Flash
    • Formal design training

Travel:

• Up to 25% travel
    This has to be a hard pill to swallow!
    Must be kind of embarrassing... especially for Ed.

Maybe in another couple years they will have a viable and attractive option, if it's not too late. To late for this consumer however.

I feel like they drove the company into the ground by doing everything opposite of what I requested of them. They of course did not base their business strategies off of this two-and-a-half-time (half = a purchase of a Treo 650 but returning it after discovering what a disaster it was) consumer of Treo products but that is how I feel. Should never turn your back on your ancestry.
    Last edited by archie; 03/10/2007 at 11:43 AM.
    Great video interview of Paul Mercer from the site and book Designing Interactions.

Jeff Hawkins is also interviewed and featured in the book here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.playfuls.com/news_06474_P...iller_Yet.html

what the the author is just an *****. the Treo is far ahead of the iPhone. this new crap the media is dragging up because of Apple envy must stop now.

lemmings! i can't stand them!

i-phone has No GPS as of yet, no Push Email, no EvDO, no way to edit MS office documents as of yet and somehow this phone is a Treo Killer with no software? come the on!..
    He Helped Build the iPod; Now He Has Built a Rival

From the last paragraph:

Now that the Z5 is about to reach the market, he is thinking about his next technology target. Mr. Mercer said he was still dreaming about a personal device that offered complete access to information and media.
    Marc Blank (Chattermail) announced to join Palm on Feb 22.

Paul Mercer (Iventor)joined Palm 3 weeks ago.

It seems that both joined Palm at the same time. Another interesting point is both owned their own company and gave up their companies to join Palm.

Marc's strength - Email wireless sync (Responds to Rimm)

Paul's strength - Interface (Responds to iPhone)

Rumor - Ultra thin WiMAX Treo (Responds to all competitors)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    I think instead of responding to the iPhone (which in my opinion, does not pose a major threat to Palm's market), I think they should focus on

1. Catching up to everyone else technology wise....c'mon, no wifi on PalmOS Treos, no UMTS/HSDPA, and I'm sure there won't be EvDO Revision A either.

2. Making things that work.....after recently getting my 650, I want to get a 700p for the EvDO, memory, and better cam, but I'm scared when I see all these posts about resets, horrible bluetooth, etc. My 650 is basically a rock and hardly ever resets

3. Making changes that make sense. Why have a green button and a phone button? Why move the menu button all the way to the bottom of the keyboard? And I haven't really played much with a 680 or 750, but I don't think the 1 mm or so that they chopped off could possibly be worth the 600 mah sacrifice in battery life. If a device is going to be slimmer, make it much slimmer, not barely noticably slimmer.
    yep, I agree, Palm should focus on making their existing stuff work as it was designed before setting themselves up for even greater failures in the future.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Rumor? more like pure fantasy!
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack View Post
    Marc Blank (Chattermail) announced to join Palm on Feb 22.

Paul Mercer (Iventor)joined Palm 3 weeks ago.

It seems that both joined Palm at the same time. Another interesting point is both owned their own company and gave up their companies to join Palm.

Marc's strength - Email wireless sync (Responds to Rimm)

Paul's strength - Interface (Responds to iPhone)

Sounds good, maybe Marc will keep us more in touch!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast