Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Its pretty obvious Palm is losing. They haven't done crap to the Treo in years. Wow more RAM. Wow no antenna. WOW! Added windows... like that was hard... anyway share holders are pressing. I think its only a matter of time.

I still think the name Treo has a marketplace but what company you think will buy it? Apple, Sony, Motorola? I doubt Apple but I would so welcome it. I think Sony might be the best player. There smartphone has never picked up and watching what Apple is up to I think they have most to gain.

Anyway... thoughts?
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    I'd be shocked if Apple bought Palm--they don't need them.

As a tangent, I'll add that Palm is such a sad story. From best to worst in many respects in just a few years. Maybe what they need is not to be bought out (like so many people said Apple would be in the late 90's,) but a to be rescued like Apple was by estranged founder Steve Jobs. Maybe what Palm needs is new management, not a new owner.
    I think Dell will purchase it.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    wow never thought of Dell... they might sit tight and watch apple with its phone then follow.
    I suspect it will be Nokia or RIM. A true Palm/RIM integration would be interesting.
    "I have no idea what you just said, so here is a bunny with a pancake on its head."
    Quote Originally Posted by Linds View Post
    I think Dell will purchase it.
    Strategically I find that hard to believe. Palm purchased the Palm OS rights probably because they intend on continuing to develop Palm OS 5 or to use it as a basis for their own linux based OS (probably both). Dell has never been in the OS development business beyond system level development (ie: drivers, system integration stacks, etc.). I think it would be a huge strategic shift for Dell to be in the business of developing an operating system to the extent that I think Palm is planning on doing.

I could be wrong though; it could be the case that Palm plans on using the Access Linux platform and then it would be strategically consistent for Dell to own Palm and be in the business of building the system specific software for future Treos, Tungstens (if we'll ever see another pda), and whatever this new third business is that Hawkins keeps pumping.

That said, I think it is much more realistic that Motorola or Nokia acquire Palm. Nokia is already in the OS business with Symbian (majority shareholder). All three companies could pay a 100% premium above Palm's current $2bn market cap without even feeling the dent on their balance sheet, but Motorola has the strongest balance sheet for such an acquisition. Also, Motorola has the smallest top line of the three companies at a whopping $43bn dollars. One has to wonder what financial impact any of these three companies stands to gain from Palm who has annual sales of $1.5bn?

Since we're all friends here, I'll put my money on Motorola having worked for Ed Zander in a previous life...but I wouldn't be surprised if Nokia takes a more aggressive approach as European companies tend to have more of an acquisition appetite than US companies when it comes to deals with as many questions as this one.
    Palm Personal => V => Vx (w/OmniSky) => m505 => Treo 300 => 600 => 650 (free of charge) => 700P (free of charge again!)
    How about Microsoft buying Palm? They could combine the Treo with the Zune line. The Treo has the name recognition that the Zune is desperately lacking. Microsoft also has the marketing $$$ that would take the Treo name to all new heights.

And the clincher reason for Microsoft buying Palm is that everyone knows that Bill Gates is the largest philantropist in the world. The guy endowed over $39B at last count. What would be a measly billion or two more pf charity to Palm?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    HTC. They manufacture phones and do well. But they need a brand name to break into public awareness. Palm will do that. Ooooh. Sorry. HTC probably manufactures handsets for others anonymously and this might kibosh those arrangements. Start again.

The New York Yankees. George Steinbrenner writes a big check. Resurrects Billy Martin from the dead to run Palm. Ooooh. Sorry. That was in bad taste. Start again.

Some anonymous (to us) Asian outfit. E.g., look at Lenovo taking over IBM's PC business. High probability prediction from the Tastypeppers Magic 8 Ball.
    Alright, here's something I learned in class the other day. Well, last week, I missed the class the other day....

We're talking about corporate stocks and what some people do when they want to take over a company or steer it in a direction that the directors don't want it to do. They'll buy up stock and what not in a way to get ahold of the company. What the company will do to keep them off their backs is sell the family jewels. In this case, Palm's biggest asset is Palm OS.

Yeah, it's not as flashy as Touch OS X or it doesn't have the Windows name (I personally didn't like the few minutes I messed with a 700wx or whatever it was), but, for some reason, people are still buying them. I've seen 3-4 people in my fraternity, in the last year, buy a Palm device, whether it be a Treo or another PDA, and this is a music fraternity (not that they shouldn't have one, but, when I was a music major, that was the last thing any of us would buy). And of course, they all love it. It's a great OS. Simple, powerful, easy to use, and expandable.

I think once the pressure was off, they bought back Palm OS and are on their way to do whatever they were planning. Hopefully, it's something great. Their form factor really needs some work. I personally don't see any reason why they can't slim this thing down. Look at the Q and some of the other smart phones out there. Now, I don't know their specs, and maybe they're not as powerful, but, something to get this thing at least thinner. I'm not sure if they'll sell or merge, but, I'm hoping something big happens soon.

Of course, I would really love for the iPhone to come to Sprint. Then, Palm can do whatever they want. .
    Dell may be a strong suitor. They did drop their Axiom sp? handhelds, but if they start offering linux os as I have read, then maybe they could market the treo with that operating system..
    Or I can be talking out of the wrong side this morning, which according to my wife may actually be the side I always talk out of.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Interesting comments from everyone. I could see them putting sybian on here... but also think dell/microcash stepping to the plate also. I don't see palm going forward I really don't. there is no wind for there sail.

on another note... being from Boston I have to add this for tasty...

Yankees suck! hehe
    jeff hawkins please buy palm! the guy is a true innovator & creative thinker & not just some stuffy, CEO like our boy Eddie. With Jeff in charge of the Treo line, we would be on par or above Motorola Q, BlackJack & maybe even iphone...
    Jeff actually was a found of the company & still an exec on the Board of Directors. He has Colligan & Dubinsky at the top because he has no interest in being a bean counter. He just wants to engineer new stuff and let someone else do the business & maintenance side.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Motorola
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Id say Dell too.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    so where is this new stuff?? He founded Handspring & then petered out! I hope he starts up another handheld company...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    Jeff actually was a found of the company & still an exec on the Board of Directors. He has Colligan & Dubinsky at the top because he has no interest in being a bean counter. He just wants to engineer new stuff and let someone else do the business & maintenance side.
    This is the only time the Palm brand still worth something. One or two years from now, if Palm hasn't been sold, it will become a second rated brand that repackages Asian Windows Mobile phones. Kind of like Polyroid. It doesn't matter who own it by then.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    so where is this new stuff?? He founded Handspring & then petered out! I hope he starts up another handheld company...
    Jeff Hawkins runs a company now called Numenta. It has to do with artificial intelligence and the brain. Really, his major passion is how people think, and how technology can integrate and imitate it.

I really doubt Jeff Hawkins has more than one project at Palm. He's got whatever is being wrapped up of his seekrit third business, but outside of that he doesn't have a real position there any longer, and he doesn't seem too interested in talking about anything besides Numenta...so I HIGHLY doubt he's riding in on a white horse to save the day.

Also, keep in mind that Jeff Hawkins, Donna Dubinsky, and Ed Colligan are pretty much the trifecta that created Palm. They are also all involved to varying degrees with Numenta. The only shot that Palm has to keep those three is if Numenta and Palm overlap, like NeXT and Apple did to get Steve Jobs back.

Personally, if nothing exciting business-wise or tech-wise comes out of Palm soon, and if the rumored 755p is basically a souped up antenna-less 700p, the sharks will not just be circling...they will be snacking happily away. I think these rumors and pressures are making it clear that there's an expectation of change. I hope we see it.