1.    #1  
    Well, that's what the rumor says.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/06/p...one-this-year/

Palm to serve up "ultra thin" WiMAX smartphone this year?

Posted Mar 6th 2007 10:58PM by Chris Ziegler
    Filed under: Cellphones, Handhelds, Wireless

Plant this firmly in the "unsubstantiated rumor" category and take it with a boulder-sized grain of salt, but there's one thing here we can say with certainty: whether it sells or not, Palm is in desperate need of fresh product. Like, not a new Treo with a little more memory or a slightly better camera -- we mean seriously fresh product. We're sure there are some reasonably smart folk kicking around at Palm that realize the very same thing, and it's only because of that assumption that we're forced to give this rumor some amount of credit. Anyhoo, here's the deal: Sprint will start flipping the switch (wouldn't it be cool if there actually was a giant switch they flipped?) on its WiMAX network later this year, or in a worst case scenario they'll at least be trialling it. Well, ya need product for that new network, right? Palm allegedly is going to swoop in late this year (think October time frame) with an "ultra thin" (tipster's words, not ours) smartphone that'll rock WiMAX out of the box. No word on what platform it'll sport or really any other detail of consequence, but "Palm" and "thin" aren't typically two words you hear in the same sentence, so by the time you throw in some blazing fast data, this could be quite a treat indeed.
    Now wouldn't it be nice if this were that happy thing that Hawkins promised us this May? Yeah, I know, wishful thinking.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    I can't wait to get some more info on this device. Hopefully this is the super mobile device Hawkins talked about.
    If nothing else if would give Palm a leg to hop on.
    And make me proud Sprint users
    Actually, I hope this is just a cool development from Palm's normal product development process, and Hawkins's revolutionary device is even more revolutionary.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Well, that's what the rumor says.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/06/p...one-this-year/

Now wouldn't it be nice if this were that happy thing that Hawkins promised us this May? Yeah, I know, wishful thinking.

NOW we`re talking, palm! This is what they need to get them back on the board again.
    I gotta have more cowbell
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Complete bollocks I'd say - an ultra-thin Wi-Max phone? I'm doing work with the wi-max standard at the moment and an ultra-thin phone running on wi-max would have a battery life of about 15 minutes!

Fantasy - purely fantasy!
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Wow, I have rarely posted on this site, in fact just got my Treo 700 last summer. Was checking on the site for the DST update and saw this post. I live in Austin, Texas and the nature of what I do I have a client who has told me hints over the last three weeks about a new Palm Phone type device in the works. He does not work directly for Palm but is a big time Software developer in Austin. Could not tell me much but said it would be something very awesome when it hits, and he is not a normal Palm Guy. I know is works mainly on Linux Software and Telecommunication Mobil stuff. One of the hints was it would be a Sprint device that would have this WiMax on it and be a super hi-speed Phone/Computer. I don't know much about WiMax but it is something Sprint is working on and Austin will be a beta Market I think. All I know is EDOV Rev A. and this is should be much better than that.

Well that is all I got out of him that I will reveal on a forum, but if what he says is true Palm may have some super neat Phone/PDA in the works soon, saw this thread and thought wow I guess he was not totally BS because while talking about my Treo 700 and telling me the little scoop I could get was a little shocking Palm could make a device that would cutting edge from a tech point. He never said anything but I got the impression it was not a Win Mobile OS, so sadly it will be some sort of update Palm OS, I can only hope they can fix the crashes. Don't get me wrong I love my Treo and its functionality but the thing crashes allot.

Later
  7.    #7  
    Just for general information, Sprint is investing $1 billion into WiMax deployments this year and $1.5 to $2 billion next year, with the intent of 100 million Americans having WiMax coverage in 2008.

Sprint's WiMax will operate in the 2.5 Ghz range over most of the US, with download speeds of 10 Mbps at a distance of 10 km.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Complete bollocks I'd say - an ultra-thin Wi-Max phone? I'm doing work with the wi-max standard at the moment and an ultra-thin phone running on wi-max would have a battery life of about 15 minutes!

Fantasy - purely fantasy!
    Interesting.
    So basically Sprint is investing billions (and i did say billions) of dollars on Wi-Max as a mobile company and it is all for connection cards and laptops. Because if an ultra thin cell phone would go for 15 minutes then others wouldnt go more than 30-45 minutes either.
    I just cant resist myself to find out what would be battery life of laptop which will be used witht his technology.
    Sprint people are genious I guess to launch this thing with billions at stakes and forgot to see mobile users need battery life.
    We will see.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Awesome.

I hope for their sake that they don't follow the typical Palm launch process. (Leak some rumor to Engaget. Then leak some blurry picture - that must be from the same camera that snapped the famous "Big Foot" photo.

I think they need to get the message out this time.

Loud and clear. And before mid-September if this thing is a "late October" Deliverable.

Give us the scoop early. Give us the visuals and details.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    Interesting.
    So basically Sprint is investing billions (and i did say billions) of dollars on Wi-Max as a mobile company and it is all for connection cards and laptops. Because if an ultra thin cell phone would go for 15 minutes then others wouldnt go more than 30-45 minutes either.
    I just cant resist myself to find out what would be battery life of laptop which will be used witht his technology.
    Sprint people are genious I guess to launch this thing with billions at stakes and forgot to see mobile users need battery life.
    We will see.
    How it works is that as the technology progresses and they get a better handle on it - the battery life and the like will improve (mainly because they make it more power efficent not because batteries improve by any great amount) - by about 2008/2009 phones will start to appear with a decent battery life - it's the same thing we saw with the first generation of 3g phones - which had terrible battery life and were like bricks compared to the later 2g/2.5g phones. At this stage, I can see some WiMax phones but ultra-thin phones? nope.

Spirit don't even seem to have agreed the common standard for WiMax phones for their network yet - so how have palm made one? Motorola are planning to get phones out for the middle of 2008 - Palm have pulled one over on motorola ? I just don't buy it.
    Last edited by CGK; 03/12/2007 at 11:24 AM. Reason: further details.
    I can only imagine the horror of instability if a Palm OS treo gets wimax. WM6 all the way for this one.
    possible wimax pricing? $55 doesnt sound too bad for that type of speed

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=12735
  13.    #13  
    So, Sprint has said that they would be covering 100,000,000 people by the end of next year. And I'll get that you're all wondering, "Am I one of those 100,000,000?"
    Motorola will be building the network in Chicago, Detroit, Grand Rapids, Indianapolis, Kansas City, and Minneapolis.
    Samsung will do Baltimore, Boston, Philadelphia, Providence, and Washington D.C.
    Nokia will develop Austin, Dallas, Denver, Fort Worth, Portland, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, and Seattle.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...41&newsLang=en

Bah. They're skipping some of the largest markets in the U.S. You know, like New York City, Los Angeles, Miami, Atlanta, San Francisco, Phoenix, *cough* Columbus... Though I do understand their desire to build an area network first, it makes sense. But skipping NYC and LA? Seriously.
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I'm sure they will fill all the voids by mid 2008 so no worries .How can anyone complain about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    I'm sure they will fill all the voids by mid 2008 so no worries .How can anyone complain about that.
    I can complain because I have an extremely short attention span and I'm in the L. A. metro market and 2008 seems like an eternity from here.

Yes, I'm unreasonable. Not only do I want WiMax now, I don't want to pay more than $10/month for it. Is that too much to ask?
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    NOW we`re talking, palm! This is what they need to get them back on the board again.
    Hey - they just recently figured out how to design an internal antenna, and are still using bluetooth 1.2. Don't get your hopes up, you'll have to drag Palm into the 21st century screaming and kicking.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    why pop palm out of their 20th century happy bubble? maybe it might be amusing to simply watch them continue to spurt out their retreo (aka: retro) productlines, ya know?
    I gotta have more cowbell