bluetooth that can do both headset and GPS at the same time
    A2DP
    Mpeg4 digital camera with video 3.2Mp
    MP3 sound recorder
    at that point I woke up
    You can get all that, you'll just have a 15 minute battery life :-D
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I'd like to see an iphone-like treo. No hard keys on the surface, just a large screen. Then you would slide the keyboard out horizontally from beneath the screen, revealing the full qwerty.

might be a bit thicker, but I think it'd be an amazing device.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    I'd like to see an iphone-like treo. No hard keys on the surface, just a large screen. Then you would slide the keyboard out horizontally from beneath the screen, revealing the full qwerty.

might be a bit thicker, but I think it'd be an amazing device.
    ie: Like the HTC Wizard and several others?
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    do they have multi-touch technology?
    If a slider was used to get a bigger display, I think that I would prefer something like the current keyboard sliding down, so as to preserve the one-handed operation.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    If a slider was used to get a bigger display, I think that I would prefer something like the current keyboard sliding down, so as to preserve the one-handed operation.
    Yes, that would be cool, but sometimes i would like a widescreen, and not a tallscreen. So my suggestion would be both a sliding and rotating screen in one device.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    There 's still a place in the market for the treos' smallish, square screens, but I would like to see palm move on to bigger viewing displays on some of their newer phones. I'm ready to make the move.

I think it would be a dramatic improvement in the browser, email and general media experience.

If palm doesn't do it, apple may do this as a successor to the first iphone.

The swivel or slide solutions would work. The main thing I'd be looking for would be a comfortable keyboard with raised keys enabling a responsive, tactile feel when typing. Flat keys are a no go for me. uncomfortable as hell.

The gyro sensor, which is present on the iphone, is another feature on my list. The phone will switch to landscape mode when the screen flips or slides to reveal the kb.

512 mb ram, 524mhz processor, 2.0 bt (ad2p) wifi or wimax, ev-do, quality speakers w/ speakerphone, gps enabled or packaged with gps card in the box, improved video streaming.

For me at least, it would be the complete device.
    Last edited by vw2002; 03/27/2007 at 09:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    There 's still a place in the market for the treos' smallish, square screens, but I would like to see palm move on to bigger viewing displays on some of their newer phones. I'm ready to make the move.

I think it would be a dramatic improvement in the browser, email and general media experience.

If palm doesn't do it, apple may do this as a successor to the first iphone.

The swivel or slide solutions would work. The main thing I'd be looking for would be a comfortable keyboard with raised keys enabling a responsive, tactile feel when typing. Flat keys are a no go for me. uncomfortable as hell.

The gyro sensor, which is present on the iphone, is another feature on my list. The phone will switch to landscape mode when the screen flips or slides to reveal the kb.

512 mb ram, 524mhz processor, 2.0 bt (ad2p) wifi or wimax, ev-do, quality speakers w/ speakerphone, gps enabled or packaged with gps card in the box, improved video streaming.

For me at least, it would be the complete device.
    PDAphones with the large screens have been around for quite some time. The treo's design is far more unique, as far as PocketPCphones go. There are a lot of devices with the large QVGA screen, with and without keyboards. I personally find that having a large screen and sacrificing the static keyboard makes the device a lot less usable.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Start with 755 + soft touch paint
    Remove 5-way and replace with rollerball
    Extend screen 1/2" up (smaller earpiece) and .25" downward
    Reuce thickness by 70%.
    Have 3G
    Integrated GPS
    Latest BT Stack
    2.8MP with flash
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize View Post
    Start with 755 + soft touch paint
    Remove 5-way and replace with rollerball
    Extend screen 1/2" up (smaller earpiece) and .25" downward
    Reuce thickness by 70%.
    Have 3G
    Integrated GPS
    Latest BT Stack
    2.8MP with flash
    Meh, 2.643 MP with flash... and only on weekends...

But seriously, I think palm should make more room for gps on the phone than the camera at this point.

It depends on your needs, but I think gps is a hell of a lot more useful than the camera resolution.

there`s all this talk about the thickness of palm`s treos. My opinion on this, Id rather have the regular size phone packed with wifi, gps, ev-do and the latest bluetooth, than a thin phone minus the antenna that gets you 2 hours of use.

The treo`s features will take palm further than treo`s thinness. It will take them YEARS to realize this though.
    I forgot to add to my wishlist...

the center button on the 5-Way nav needs to be rubberized. At least the center of it needs to have a rubber "nipple" on it.

heh heh heh he said nipple.

ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    -750 form factor, but a bit slimmer, with a 480x320 touchscreen display and a hidden keyboard revealed with a vertical slide. When closed a 5 way D-pad, home, email, web, calendar, talk/end buttons are available.
    -2.0 mp camera at least (with flash)
    -2gb RAM
    -sdhc card slot
    -GPS
    -WiFi
    -3G or higher
    -15 hours talk time
    -Palm OS with true multi-tasking
    -Mini USB for charging and syncing
    -3.5 mm jack
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who wishes Palm would do away with the 2.5mm connector. I have a 650 so I guess all my upgrades are born from that device.

The list:
    • Latest uncrippled Bluetooth (FTP, DUN, Hands-free profiles) + EDR
    • Native Voice Dialing over Bluetooth (its embarrasing Treos don't have this & there really aren't any excuses)
    • Audio over Bluetooth
    • Native Card Export
    • Notes attached to call history and available from the in call screen
    • SDHC support
    • Higher quality camera and camcorder software (AVC/H.264 format)
    • Treo 650 battery life (I realize the Treo 650's battery makes up most of its bulk)
    • 3.5mm audio jack. (Seriously, who uses that 2.5mm one?)
    • New slick GUI with animated launcher, apps and transitions
    • More standard polyphonic ringtone choices (built-in ones suck & mp3 ringtones are annoying)
    • Simultaneous voice & data (I want to be able to search google maps while talking on my headset)
    • New browser (I try to use Blazer as infrequently as possible, it can hardly be called browsing at all. More like pecking. The new browser should support java and flash and at least be able to view youtube content without any helpers)
    • A robust email client that supports native HTML
    Aside from all the standards (new BT stack, GPS, wifi, etc) I would also like to see a full-featured browser and a larger, wide screen. I want a slider like my old Tungsten T, where it is the std 750 size normally and then you can slide it open to reveal the widescreen. They can call it the Palm Switchblade. To hell with the sliding keyboard - I would use the keyboard way more often than the wider screen so let the extra screen slide away.

I also want some classier phone features on the hardware side. For $600, I want the absolute best microphone, speakers, and radio that can be slapped into a cellphone. I want to be able to talk on speaker phone from across the room. I don't really care to see it get too much thinner at the cost of features/battery - but would rather have the construction material be of such a quality that it didn't need a case to protect it from normal pocket living. That would shave mine down by half right there (vaya case).

Not to screw over the developer community, but Palm really needs to incorporate some of the bigger players into the ROM fold. Zlauncher quality launcher with full customization of entire UI ala palm revolt. Custom fonts. Agendus quality PIMs. Resco viewer quality photo software. Built-in stock, weather, and RSS news apps. Basic stuff that everybody uses and wants.

Even if Palm OS can't handle multitasking, the least they can do is have their programs keep their suspended states. I don't mind if I can't run 2 apps at the same time, but when I switch from one to the other I wanna go right back where I left it and I want a nice fast way to switch between two apps (ie dictionary and word doc or blazer and anything). We shouldn't have to rely on Alex Pruss to do it for them (accessorizer).

In short, I'm not exactly looking for anything too revolutionary - just nail the basics down to the quality level deserving of the price tags.
    Last edited by born2defy; 04/04/2007 at 02:31 PM.
    I really hope that the iPhone will at least teach (remind) Palm and the rest of the Smartphone world that not everyone wants a QWERTY keyboard. Palm should know better, since it started out perfect fine with Graffiti and no QWERTY. And the older successful Smartphones -- when PalmOS reigned supreme in both the PDA world and the Smartphone world (i.e. the Kyocera 7135 and the Samsung i500) were great and had no QWERTY.

Some of us would rather use what limited surface real estate there is on a phone for SCREEN AREA, and for a dedicated dialing pad. The HTC S720 goes back to this, but still gives you a QWERTY via a slideout. Me -- I don't want the QWERTY at all because I want the phone THIN (no sliding keyboard), and I want the phone surface to be either SCREEN or dialing pad (for easy one-handed dialing), and I would prefer a flip phone. Hence the ideal design in my view is still the Samsung i500. TOUCH SCREEN on one half of the flip, and dialing pad on the other.

Another way to look at it: I want a thin clamshell (Razr, A900m, etc) that has a hi-res (QVGA) touchscreen and runs PalmOS. The closest current offering is the Cingular 3125, which is a thin, clamshell WM5 Smartphone, no touch screen...
    Last edited by neurocutie; 04/07/2007 at 08:31 PM.
    650 Form factor but with muuuch larger screen (eg 3.5" 480x480)
    -1.3/2.0 mp cam (with real flash). With optics allowing me to take Macro photos. Focus regulated manually like in SPV m3100 or automatically like in F-S T830. Or throw out camera.
    -built in call recorder
    -more RAM for some tasks (32 or 64MB) or ability to add it by myself
    -sdhc card slot. Second card slot or ability to solder second microsd card internally
    -GPS (not necessary)
    -WiFi (_not necesary_ or _with really good antenna and hirose connector_)
    -BT 2.0 with good antenna
    -if one of above, then maybe (even third party) Walkie-talkie software
    -with larger screen it could be possible to use 2 standard Treo batts simultaneously instead of one bigger. Then could be possible to hotswap batteries.
    -Palm OS with true multi-tasking
    -Mini USB 2.0 for charging/drive mode
    -3.5 mm jack in antenna like some guy done it (2.5mm 4pin jack should be left)
    -some more HW buttons
    -mandatory QWERTY keybord. No some crappy slide but the good,old keyboard of good palmphones (like in treos)
    -the same olg, simple GUI. Not the IPHONE/VISTA low-contrast GUI with animations that suck battery. 680 went this way a little bit and it's disgusting for me.
    And still some (physical) place to add my own things. I can't tell that I wil never add some HW. There is always place for ideas in my phones/laptops etc.
    -firefox/opera native (yes, I know, dream)
    Last edited by c64club; 05/22/2009 at 03:59 AM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123