Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm's share price has just spiked more than 7% today, reaching the heady heights of $17.70 on strong take over rumours by Nokia, who is supposedly in negotiation with Palm.
    http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/3...msharesiw9.png
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=PALM

Previously rumours surrounding Palm being bought mentioned mainly Motorola, RIM or even Dell. Nokia has always seemed to be the company least suited to being a suitor for Palm.

If these rumours pan out, what would a Nokia-branded Palm mean? Any speculation?

Surur
    We still have the rumor mill working. Soon to come: Samsung buys Palm, HTC buys Palm (good idea, that), LG buys Palm, HP buys Palm (another plausible one), LBO, etc.

Buy the phone. Don't buy the stock.
    If it happened, it would certainly mean better global distribution of Palm products and more financial resources for product development. It would probably mean they could take bigger risks with products, and even add a dash of style into new phones.

As for Symbian vs. WM vs. Palm's rumored Linux-based PalmOS, I think they'd continue to support all three. I actually don't know much about Symbian, other than that it's huge, but the WM and PalmOS platforms are demanded by the market. There's no way they'd kill off either line.
  4.    #4  
    On the same theme:

Dell could start making phones
    By David Meyer, ZDNet UK
    2/3/2007

Dell will have to enter the mobile phone market in order to keep up with rivals such as HP and Apple, a U.S. analyst has claimed.

Wireless market analyst Jack Gold, of J Gold Associates, also suggested that this might best be achieved by buying an "established player" such as Palm and jettisoning "the non-strategic components of Palm's business".

Gold's predictions are centered around Ron Garriques, the former Motorola handset boss lured to Dell less than two weeks ago to run its consumer division. "Garriques… brings another unique capability which we believe Dell is on the verge of utilizing. He has extensive wireless experience, an area [where] Dell will have to become a player--and soon--as HP and Apple push into this key market segment," wrote Gold on Monday.

According to Gold's analysis, Dell would stop selling standalone PDAs--a fast-dying market--"within the year", concentrating instead on "offering a smartphone device that has all of the features both business and high-end consumers would want (eg. push email, office document viewing/editing, media capability)".

"We believe Dell will aim at both consumers and enterprises with slightly modified and/or differentiated products, but we expect the products to be Windows Mobile-powered, maintaining the relationship Dell currently has with Microsoft for its handhelds," the brief continued. "But to be successful, it will require not only good products, but also partnerships with carriers that will power these devices--another area in which Garriques has extensive experience, and where the existing Dell organization has virtually none."

Dell itself refused to comment on "rumor, speculation and/or future roadmaps", but other analysts thought Gold's theory made sense. "Fundamentally, the barriers to creating a Windows-based smartphone aren't that high," Disruptive Analysis' Dean Bubley told ZDNet UK on Tuesday, adding: "It's not as though Dell lacks the resources".

Bubley also suggested that Dell would be a welcome entrant to the enterprise smartphone market, as competitors such as HTC and iMate lack an enterprise salesforce and "aren't especially enterprise-friendly". However, he expressed skepticism over the idea that Dell might cozy up to operators, pointing out that the company is "not historically used to selling through the carrier channel" and describing such an idea as a "complete shift" away from Dell's traditional direct sales model.

"If you have a channel for smartphones, could you justify not having a channel for laptops?" asked Bubley, suggesting instead that Dell might be the right manufacturer to establish a "large-scale non-operator channel".

"Given that a lot of the enterprise [fixed-mobile convergence] offerings are going to be fairly anti-operator, in so far as they save enterprises money, it makes sense to have phones at a price point that is not dependent on operators," said Bubley, complaining that other manufacturers "seem to be a bit more hesitant for risk of killing the golden goose".

Gold disagreed, telling ZDNet UK on Wednesday: "If you want to play in wireless, then working or partnering with the carriers is unavoidable. It's all well and good to want to sell direct, but if your device has not been tested on the carrier's network, they won't allow it to operate. Yes, you can plug in a SIM card, but if it's not an approved device, the carrier could easily just turn it off. As much as we hate to think the carriers have such power, in reality they do."

Gold added: "Even Apple, which plans to market direct to end users, has a carrier partner [AT&T/Cingular in the United States] that has tested and endorsed the product. So I don't think Dell will have a choice but to work with carriers, even though it will most certainly sell devices direct to enterprises."
    http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/mobilep...1993448,00.htm

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    We still have the rumor mill working. Soon to come: Samsung buys Palm, HTC buys Palm (good idea, that), LG buys Palm, HP buys Palm (another plausible one), LBO, etc.

Buy the phone. Don't buy the stock.

The PPR buys Palm . . . . . .
    I suppose it could be for the name/brand recognition in the US. The US is the only place where Palm is strong and one of the few places where Nokia isn't the dominant player in the smartphone market.

I can't see that they need the Garnet licence (S60 is light years ahead) or that they need Palm for WM (Nokia could just go to Microsoft if they wanted WM) and it's certainly hard to imagine they need the design expertise. Perhaps they've heard how fantastic Palm's Linux-based OS is

On balance, I think the rumour is probably crap.
  7.    #7  
    If it pans out, I would expect a relatively hands-off approach from Nokia, at least for the first year.

Surur
    S60 on a Treo though, how great would that be? I wonder why Nokia never thought of doing something like that
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I am hoping Nokia buys Palm and rescues them from themselves. Its about time, for the love of everything holy.

Go, Nokia, Go.
    I gotta have more cowbell
  10.    #10  
    The stock price has just hit $18, thats a whole 9% up! People are expecting an announcement after hours today!

Surur
    just picked up a small amount before the close.
  12.    #12  
    It closed on $18.30, a whole 11% up in one day! In other words, the company is now worth $170 million more than this morning. If there is no actual news this will have been one of the more spectacular Palm buy-out rumour runs ever.

Surur
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Wonder if Nokia's non-development of CDMA will continue on to Treos if they acquire Palm?
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch3 View Post
    Wonder if Nokia's non-development of CDMA will continue on to Treos if they acquire Palm?
    They have been staying away from CDMA and 3G in USA due to a patent issue with Qualcomm. It looks like they may be coming to a settlement with them however, with legal action recently stopped between the two.

Surur
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    In my opinion, the palm os will eventually be buried. They will let it limp along for a while until it dies down, but "nokia" palms will probably run symbian os in the future. Unless palm pulls a last ditch effort to mobilize a killer new mobile platform (alp, linux, etc), I think this is how things will end up.
    Last edited by vw2002; 03/02/2007 at 06:03 PM.
    I gotta have more cowbell
  16. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    So how valid is this rumor anyway? Things are so silent in Sunnyvale, if Ed's not coming out to deny it then is it really happening? Wasn't it just a year ago when he said Palm wasn't for sale? Man, how times have changed.

I guess there's always the iPhone to look forward to. Man this sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post
    Wasn't it just a year ago when he said Palm wasn't for sale?
    I think he said so even more recently. The reality is that you are almost always going to say that so you do not adversely affect your financial situation. You have to take public comments about a company's situation regarding a sale or takeover with a grain of salt. Everything is for sale at the right price.
    I believe when he was asked recently whether the company was for sale, he gave a non-denial, saying companies don't get sold; they get acquired.
    One tech company buying another can only be BAD news. It's all a ploy to kill off the company being bought, and thereby increasing market share.

Digital, Compaq, Cray, Thinking Machines...

Nokia have their stupid Symbian and Linux. They have their communicators and N90's and E61's and whatnot. They also have their market share. 7 Nokias sold every second.
    The one thing Nokia doesn't have is a strong presence in the USA smartphone market. If the price is right, that alone is worth it for them.

People are going to get very burned if this rumor turns out to be false.

Lookee, lookee:Insider buy/sells
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast