Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This article should explain why Palm went for WM in Europe.

Symbian: 57% of shares of market of the mobile operating systems in France

The British institute Canalys published the last figures of the market of the mobile operating systems in zone EMEA (Europe, the Middle East, Africa) for the period of the fourth quarter 2006. With this occasion, it is the French market of the operating systems for mobiles which were analyzed in detail.

This reveals that the operating system Symbian OS (S60, S80, S90) remains the system more used on the mobiles with 57% of shares of market. Microsoft arrives second with 32% of shares of market, followed by Palm OS and Blackerry OS which have both 5% of shares of market.

On the more specific market of the connected terminals of the segment “Pro and Company”, it is Microsoft which takes again the hand with 80% of shares of market. RIM for its part has 19% of shares of market contrary with Nokia which was not represented here. Indeed, according to Canalys, it is not possible to segment the shares of market of the system Symbian OS on terminals only dedicated to the professionals.

To note finally that on the market of the sales of licences Push Email near the companies, Microsoft announced to have marketed nearly 750.000 licences in Europe, against 150.000 for RIM and less than 100.000 for Seven, Visto or Nokia. These figures are valid for the period of the third quarter 2006 in Europe.

Remain to know if the strategy of the “whole undertaken” will be paying for Microsoft or if like Nokia, it is simpler to market terminals intended at the same time for general public and the professionals.

© 2007 Neteco.com
    http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

An interesting read, which shows that the market dominance by Symbian is not unassailable after all. As Palm has at least partially hitched its wagon to the WM star this is good news for the potential market acceptance of the 750 and its successors in Europe.

Surur
    I would hardly consider France to be a reference when comparing versus complete Europe.

French always have had something special compared to the rest of Europe ... they have that 'je ne sais quoi'
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
  3.    #3  
    Europe is obviously very disparate. Who would have thought Italy of all places would be the country with the highest smartphone penetration in Europe for example. Europe has however funnily enough been more open to WM than USA for example, and even in Russia WM does better than one would expect.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Europe is obviously very disparate. Who would have thought Italy of all places would be the country with the highest smartphone penetration in Europe for example.
    Actually if you would know Europe you would consider this very normal.
    Italy ALWAYS has been among the first to implement whatever new technology was brought on the market in Europe. Especially Telecom Italia is a champ in that area ...
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    My goodness, surur, you are a relentless WM fanboy.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    I think there are enough WM users at TreoCentral to appreciate this story here. Sorry you are not one of them.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    The funny thing is that if someone posted an article saying that PalmOS was gaining a large share of the European market over WM, no one would be saying anything about fanboys

Posts like yours are not only useless, but lame and incendiary.

Back on topic, I think it's kind of expected. Apart from Symbian, WM is really the only other OS that not only appeals to a wide variety of users, but is also being constantly developed and updated. PalmOS is lagging behind in technology, and Blackberry's OS doesn't have as wide an audience as the other ones do.
    I couldn't find anything about the data Mobinaute report on the Canalys site. The last EMEA figures mentioned in a press release are for Q3. These show Symbian growing slightly and WM shrinking slightly:

Symbian: Q3 2005 77%, Q3 2006 79%
    MS: Q3 2005 18%, Q3 2006 17%
    RIM: Q3 2005 3.5%, Q3 2006 3.5%
    Others: Q3 2005 1.8%, Q3 2006 1.0%

http://www.canalys.com/pr/2006/r2006102.htm

Unless things radically changed between Q3 and Q4, the relatively strong showing for WM in France must mean it's doing less well elsewhere.

It would be interesting to know the trend in France (is WM up or down) and also what devices are selling.
  9.    #9  
    I can only assume the EMEA is very very lumpy when it comes to OS distribution. I know WM does well in Germany and France, but probably does much less well in the Nordic countries and Africa.

Surur
    I'd be interested to see some numbers if you have them to hand.
  11.    #11  
    No numbers unfortunately, but this article draws from a recent IDC survey.

"Nokia is the No. 1 phone manufacturer in the world and the No. 1 brand for market share in all the other countries, but not in the U.S," said Randy Giusto, group vice president of mobility, computing and consumer markets for IDC. "These survey results show that nothing has really changed, despite efforts to target the E-series to mobile professionals and the N-series multimedia phones."

Palm is not only the most favored operating system for smart phones in the U.S., it's also the most favored device brand. About 76 percent of Palm owners said they would be "very likely to recommend" their smart phone to others, compared to about 75 percent for Samsung, 69 percent for Sony Ericsson, 67 percent for RIM Blackberry, 54 percent for Motorola and 54 percent for Nokia, the study found.

While not all of the four operating systems were available in all the countries surveyed, Palm was the top ranked OS in the U.K., while Windows Mobile was No. 1 in Germany and China. Symbian followed a close second in both countries. (Windows Mobile also ranked first in India, but there were not enough survey respondents who owned smart phones to do a fair comparison.)
    http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-6139...0-20&subj=news

Surur
    Surur, I hope you get paid by Microsoft. I have never seen anybody who cheerleading so hard for MS.

And I know people who get paid by MS to post in forums (in neogaf for example), they don't work as hard as you!
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    I know people who get paid by MS to post in forums
    My Brother was one of those people.. Back when he was in college, he was working for one of the contracting company for Microsoft. His job was to post positive comments and neutralize negative comments about windows XP when it was first released on an online forum that he was assigned to..

Maybe surur is like that too....
  14.    #14  
    Yes, me, Archie and Perry all work for the same agency. At $.025 per post, Ive earned a whole $1 today.

Its a pretty senseless argument, and I wonder why MS would pay me to post about the Wii and the war on Iraq

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 03/01/2007 at 10:20 AM.
  15.    #15  
    Another interesting data point.

Re the Russian market - 1.5 million devices in 2006.

Changes in the commodity structure of the market has led to the shift in power in terms of platforms. Overall, platform market structure looked in 2006 as follows : 62.7% Symbian OS, 36.2% Windows Mobile, 1.1% Palm OS, 0% - other platforms (such as Linux).
    http://translate.google.com/translat...ting%26hl%3Den

A lot more interesting stuff at the link, but Google translations do not copy well. I would say if Nokia does not want its market share eroded by no-name WM OEM's like HTC, Mitac and Eten they need a WM strategy themselves.

Surur
    Its a pretty senseless argument, and I wonder why MS would pay me to post about the Wii and the war on Iraq

Surur
    'cause it makes you seem more like a regular poster
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfield View Post
    'cause it makes you seem more like a regular poster
    GOOD ONE~!!!
    Another interesting data point.

Re the Russian market - 1.5 million devices in 2006.

A lot more interesting stuff at the link, but Google translations do not copy well.
    That Google translated stuff is really hard to read but as best I can tell SmartMarketing changed the way they report the figures for 2006. I think what they've done is split what they called 'CPC Key Communicators' in 2005 into 'Smartphones, and Portable Media Centers and palmtop computers' for 2006. If that's the case these figure should be comparable:

H1 2005: 49.4% Symbian OS, 34.8% Windows Mobile, 15.8% Palm OS

2006: 62.7% Symbian OS, 36.2% Windows Mobile, 1.1% Palm OS

Like most of the rest of the world, Symbian is dominant in Russia and (as best I can tell) has rising market share.

I would say if Nokia does not want its market share eroded by no-name WM OEM's like HTC, Mitac and Eten they need a WM strategy themselves.
    The figures seem to indicate that you're basing your conclusion on a false premise.
  19.    #19  
    Symbian is dominant everywhere. The news is that WM market share is significant in the face of a rash of Symbian-based Nokia feature phones. Lets face it, the main feature of a WM device is the OS and what it can do for you, e.g. PDA functions and push e-mail. Most Symbian devices however trade on the other features of the device, e.g. high megapixel cameras (Nokia's main forte) and the familiar brand. It is well established that Symbian does rather poorly in the business environment, where the OS matters more than the hardware.

Nokia is still trying to penetrate the business market. Its clear to me the fastest way to do this would be to sell a WM device. It would have a business-accepted OS and a great brand name.

I guess the real question is if Nokia is gaining ground or losing ground with their Enterprise Symbian strategy, but the simple truth is that in this competitive field so-name brands have been able to trump Nokia, which should worry them as more and more larger OEM's such as Motorola, LG, Samsung etc enter the market.

Surur
    Symbian is dominant everywhere. The news is that WM market share is significant in the face of a rash of Symbian-based Nokia feature phones.
    'Feature phone' is a loaded term. As you well know, we're not talking about conventional dumb phones here we're talking about smartphones. Nokia makes feature phones but these don't have Symbian OS and have no relevance to the market share numbers we're talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_phone

Lets face it, the main feature of a WM device is the OS and what it can do for you, e.g. PDA functions and push e-mail.
    OS is important both for Symbian and WM. Both do PDA functions and push email.

Most Symbian devices however trade on the other features of the device, e.g. high megapixel cameras (Nokia's main forte) and the familiar brand.
    Seems to me that there are both WM and S60 devices that try to cram in as many features as possible. You can get a do-everything HSDPA, Wifi, GPS, QWERTY, mega-pixel, high-res device on either platform. I'd agree though that where Nokia has something of a lead is that they have a greater diversity of devices, with more devices targeted at specific functions, particularly in the consumer space: photos, video, music etc. That's not to say they don't have business-oriented devices. They clearly do: E61, E62, E61i, E90, arguably the whole E ('Enterprise') series.

It is well established that Symbian does rather poorly in the business environment
    That wouldn't surprise me, but do you have some actual data on this? The context of this is important I think. Both WM and Symbian came out of PDA OS's (PPC and EPOC respectively) but Symbian has had a more diverse life since. It rapidly became a phone OS and although it's always had something of an enterprise presence (S80 communicators and SonyEricsson P series) I think it's quite sustainable to argue that it was really only with the S60 E series that there has been a big effort at targeting the enterprise. So really, we're only talking about the last twelve months. It's really very, very early to be drawing any conclusions.

Nokia is still trying to penetrate the business market. Its clear to me the fastest way to do this would be to sell a WM device.
    Possibly, but what kind of message would that send about the future of S60? Absolutely the last thing Nokia needs to do is erode confidence in a platform that has most of the total market (enterprise and non-enterprise combined).

I guess the real question is if Nokia is gaining ground or losing ground with their Enterprise Symbian strategy
    Agreed, but given that it seems that you (like me) don't know the answer to that question, how do you come to the conclusion that Nokia are being trumped by WM manufactures?

but the simple truth is that in this competitive field so-name brands have been able to trump Nokia, which should worry them as more and more larger OEM's such as Motorola, LG, Samsung etc enter the market.
    All companies should worry about the competition, but even if we don't have data to divide market share on the basis of enterprise/non-enterprise, it is completely clear that Symbian in general and Nokia and S60 in particular are in a very healthy position. The problem for Nokia/Symbian is not market share it's about where do you go when you have most of the market and growth of that market is slowing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast