Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 22 of 22
  1.    #21  
    Which does bring us in a great circle, as the original article about France claims WM has 80% market share in "Pro and Company", Blackberry 19% and Nokia not represented at all. The E61 has been out for nearly a year now, and in this Q4 2006 numbers it did not make a dent in the business section. I'm not sure why Nokia should care particularly about undermining the Symbian platform. Did its sales suffer when it released the Linux tablet and the Win CE navigation device? I don't think so.

    If they were to expand their OS offerings I don't think any of their consumer market would care a bit, while Enterprise would certainly be very interested. At present they are, at great expense, insisting on pushing Symbian onto business users, whereas for a small licensing fee and small amount of development time they could have a WM based E62 out in 6 months.

    What happened to giving your customers what they want?

    Surur
    Last edited by surur; 03/07/2007 at 07:50 AM.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Which does bring us in a great circle, as the original article about France claims WM has 80% market share in "Pro and Company", Blackberry 19% and Nokia not represented at all. The E61 has been out for nearly a year now, and in this Q4 2006 numbers it did not make a dent in the business section.
    Fair point, but when was the E61 widely available in France? Add in corporate IT dept inertia and I think you'll agree it is, as I say, very, very early to be assessing this.

    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I'm not sure why Nokia should care particularly about undermining the Symbian platform. Did its sales suffer when it released the Linux tablet and the Win CE navigation device? I don't think so.
    I'm sure Nokia would care if S60 were undermined. WM phones would compete directly with their S60 phones, not half so true for the non-phone devices you mention.

    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    If they were to expand their OS offerings I don't think any of their consumer market would care a bit, while Enterprise would certainly be very interested.
    It's a nice idea but I do think some would wonder if S60 had a future if they started pushing out WM devices (I certainly would). Anyway, I think we both know the chance of it happening is probably very, very low.

    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    At present they are, at great expense, insisting on pushing Symbian onto business users
    How exactly? There aren't alternatives?

    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    What happened to giving your customers what they want?
    On that basis shouldn't HTC, HP, Eten, Mitac et al also be offering Symbian devices, at least if they have any aspirations beyond the enterprise market? Many more people want Symbian devices than want WM devices. Interesting that Motorola just released its first Symbian device for several years:

    http://hdtv.engadget.com/2007/02/12/...er-with-hsdpa/
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions