1.    #1  
    and gets it directly from Canadian Company RIM, makes of Blackberries. O Rly?

Ya rly.
    Last edited by Overthrow; 02/20/2007 at 06:28 PM.
    Can you tell me on which page or chapter of the Canalys-report you read, these statistics were mentioned?
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I like to see Palm make some inroads on RIM, although I really can't see Palm unseating RIM, at least without increasing the quality of their offerings (not to dis Palm, but Enterprise wise I just think RIM has targeted it much better, while Palm caters to the smaller small buiz / individual users)

Living here in Canada it sorta surprises me whenever I see someone using a Smartphone of any kind, that doesn't work for a big business... I mean who can afford the craptastic dataplans we get stuck with up here? I always thought the Treo was better for small business or individual use, while the Blackberry targeted Enterprise... I mean not everyone is going to setup a BES server to take full advantage of what the Crackberry can do, but on the flip side you just can't get the level of control on each phone needed in the Enterprise...

I can't see myself buying a Blackberry, but a Treo running Chattermail is just about the perfect fit (last I tried Chattermail I actually found it superior to the Blackberry offering)

Just some random thoughts..
    Treo 600 --> Dell Axim x51v --> Copper 680
    Mike, I find it a bit odd that you can obtain a $2000+ costing report, just to mention this excerpt, so I really wonder where you got the diagrams and the info from.

What is your source?
    Hmm, seems strangely unlikely to me, as I've hardly seen any Treos out and about, especially in Downtown Vancouver. Everyone has a 'berry, usually an older one.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    Yeah well all the Canadians must be in California for the winter. On my recently concluded trip to San Francisco I saw boatloads of Treos everywhere. Business types. Tourist types. (Me = both).

I gotta wonder. Is Palm doing better than the doom-and-gloom brigade here at TC thinks?
    Edit (on the mobile site so can't open my previous post). disclosure: I am part of the doom and gloom brigade. Love my Treo. Don't think the company is viable.
    Mike's source is probably this article from Palmaddicts:

http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad...reo_smart.html

...which he forgot to mention. The article of Palmaddicts also does not mention a specific source, the article being sent in by an average PA reader, just saying the info 'came from the Canalys report'.

That is, unless Mike can give us an alternative source he used to draw up this article.

Well, funny that the people working on the Canalys report can't even produce a proper pie chart with actually readable labels.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post

...which he forgot to mention. The article of Palmaddicts also does not mention a specific source, the article being sent in by an average PA reader, just saying the info 'came from the Canalys report'.

That is, unless Mike can give us an alternative source he used to draw up this article.

Well, funny that the people working on the Canalys report can't even produce a proper pie chart with actually readable labels.
    The source is Canalys via Palm Canada's PRPRPR $firm$, $likely$ $the$ $source$ $at$ $PalmAddicts$ $as$ $well$.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post

Looks like some good ol' Micro$oft Excel goodness!

Thanks again for the source clarification, Mike.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    Quote Originally Posted by Overthrow View Post
    The source is Canalys via Palm Canada's PRPRPR $firm$, $likely$ $the$ $source$ $at$ $PalmAddicts$ $as$ $well$.
    Yup, the info did come directly from Canalys, but Mike didn’t have to shell out 2K for the report – Palm bought the full report and shared some info with us (their PRPRPR $agency$), $and$ $we$ $got$ $permission$ $to$ $share$ $with$ $the$ $Palm$ $online$ $community$. $The$ $data$ $reflects$ $market$ $share$ $for$ $QWERTY$ $smartphones$, $and$ $it$’$s$ $a$ $great$ $reflection$ $of$ $the$ $busy$ $year$ $Palm$ $Canada$’$s$ $had$ - $more$ $product$ $launches$ $than$ $ever$ $before$ ($700wx$, $700p$ $and$ $680$), $launch$ $of$ $the$ $first$ $Windows$-$based$ $device$ $with$ $the$ $wx$, $and$ $great$ $reviews$ $all$ $around$. $Oh$ $ya$.. $and$ $the$ $Treo$’$s$ $star$ $cameos$ $in$ $movies$ $and$ $TV$ $shows$ $hasn$’$t$ $hurt$.. $personally$, $I$’$ve$ $been$ $feeling$ $quite$ $Jack$ $Bauer$-$esque$ $with$ $my$ $680$ $these$ $days$.
    Thanks for the clarification, meeechelle. Welcome to TreoCentral.

I'm very happy to see the Canadian PRPRPR $firm$ $for$ $Palm$ $taking$ $an$ $active$ $role$ $in$ $the$ $community$. $Hopefully$ $we$ $as$ $the$ $Palm$ $community$ $can$ $help$ $continue$ $momentum$. $Any$ $idea$ $of$ $when$ $the$ $750$ $will$ $be$ $coming$ $in$ $Canada$? $Or$ $other$ $info$ $on$ $newer$ $Treos$ $or$ $device$ $coming$? $Even$ $a$ $slight$ $hint$?
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    Sounds good, thanks for the clarification

I also applaud interactiveness between Palm's PRPRPR $firms$ $and$ $the$ $active$ $Palm$-$community$ $on$ $the$ $internet$.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Edit (on the mobile site so can't open my previous post). disclosure: I am part of the doom and gloom brigade. Love my Treo. Don't think the company is viable.
    Yeah there's been doom, but I think the company is viable. They still have 5% of the smartphone market, which is still nothing to shrug at. Apple went from #1 to to 2% of the desktop market and look at them now: they, uh, have 5% of the desktop market and dominate the mp3 player business.

Palm might not ever dominate the worldwide segment like Nokia, but that doesn't mean they can't compete. Consider Nintendo vs. Sony and Microsoft, or Yoda vs. anyone.

Palm is 80% software engineers and we still don't know what Hawkins' mystery device is, due this year. He's hit grand slams before, I wouldn't count Palm out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Overthrow View Post
    Yeah there's been doom, but I think the company is viable. They still have 5% of the smartphone market, which is still nothing to shrug at. Apple went from #1 to to 2% of the desktop market and look at them now: they, uh, have 5% of the desktop market and dominate the mp3 player business.

Palm might not ever dominate the worldwide segment like Nokia, but that doesn't mean they can't compete. Consider Nintendo vs. Sony and Microsoft, or Yoda vs. anyone.

Palm is 80% software engineers and we still don't know what Hawkins' mystery device is, due this year. He's hit grand slams before, I wouldn't count Palm out.
    I hope you're right and I hope that Palm emulates Apple's trajectory.
    "This 700p is like cool man,eh?", said Canadian Bob MacKenzie. "When I saw my brother Doug with one, I just knew I had to get one. Couldn't let my brother look cooler than me for even a minute." At which point brother Bob spat beer out of his mouth and responded, "Take off hoser!" Doug replied, "No! You takeoff." This melee continued for a few minutes until I offered them each a fresh beer. At the point the interview continued. "Thanks for the beer,eh. In conclusion I would just like to say that I'm very honored that my owning of a Palm Treo 700p has doubled Palm's marketshare in Canada.", said Bob. Doug added, "Yeah. I have the other." Bob concluded by saying, "We will be exlcusively using the Palm Treo 700p on our show the Great White North & it has nothing to do with the nice promotional fee paid by Palm, eh. So tune in to the show and watch us do all kinds of cool things & stuff with the Treo 700p by Palm, Inc. In the meantime, take off!"
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    The report is intersting because in the last 1.5 yrs I've seen many more Treo users than I've every expected. I'm seeing a lot of Treo's being used in the health profession - and its not by the early adopters. Physicians like Treo's and the PalmOS because they can carry drug libraries, medical calculators, etc that would be difficult to lug around otherwise. People used to carry Palm Pilot, cell phone and pager all the time. The Treo allows you to converge the cell phone and Palm Pilot. As more hospitals allow cell phone use, fewer are carrying their pagers.

So I believe the report. There are a lot of BB users out there and I believe they outnumber the Treo users - although they don't in the health profession. There just isn't the kind of third party support for medical software.
  18.    #18  
    I just received confirmation that the numbers do include all Blackberry devices (including Sure-Type Blackberries like the new Pearl), Windows Mobile, Linux or other open operating systems, and Symbian QWERTY devices like E61/E62. It doesn't include non-qwerty symbian series 60 smartphones.