Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Ok , we all know treo is the best but its got some major flaws , my cousin is also with sprint and he got the hole free phone deal, and the boy plays with his phone all day watching live tv and movies also taking pictures!

Here is my problem ,

Why the hell is treo batterys such crap ?
    And I know that there are extended batterys that you can buy but you shouldent have to,
    With any other cell phone you wouldent have to open up the box and look for things that u have to buy for it ,

So how many of you think that palm needs to pack the treos up ready for the real world of cell phone use ??
    Which Treo? My battery lasts a whole day of heavy use, then I charge it at night. No problem. And I don't even have one of the high capacity batteries. It is just the standard one. Some of the newer ones have smaller batteries, though. It is a compromise. If you want more capacity, you have more weight and size. All other things being equal, a slimmer, lighter phone will have less battery life.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    With all the battery complaints, I'm a little surprised that it is such a burden for people to just put their Treo on the charger at night. When I'm sleeping I'm not using it, so I assume that's the safest place for it to be. I don't have a car charger or a spare, and I never run into a problem where I'm at critical battery loss while out and about. Most users, here on TC, have numerous spare chargers in their cars and in the office, is it so difficult to stick it on the charger??
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Right now I have a 650, I had the 700w but IT plain sucked so I went back to 650 , but what I ended up doing was buying a new battery from sprint and my 650 battery still sucks , ,,
    Mine doesnt make it through an entire day , but I have extrem heavy use with mine because of my job , but still all of my partners phones work for the entire day and sometimes all nighters ...

I just think that since it does so many things one of the highlights for these things should be the batterys
    My Treo lasts for weeks without a recharge after a slight modification. I made a backpack out of car batteries. Not only do I get great battery life, but I get a killer workout too...buns of steel eat your heart out.

If you want a little less manly looking alternative, check this out:
    http://www.voltaicsystems.com/index.shtml
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    My Treo lasts for weeks without a recharge after a slight modification. I made a backpack out of car batteries. Not only do I get great battery life, but I get a killer workout too...buns of steel eat your heart out.

If you want a little less manly looking alternative, check this out:
    http://www.voltaicsystems.com/index.shtml
    You really should do what I do. Just buy an extension cord and strap the cradle to your belt. Then you can take the battery pack off your back and get a rest. (I do worry during thunderstoms though!) ;-)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    One other thing I do is, I keep the USB plugged in at work. It is a slow charge, but it is plenty to make sure I have about 50% left by the end of the day.

If I was a super-heavy user, I would either plug it into a real charger at work or just buy a spare battery (one of the high capacity ones). They make cradles that charge your spare continuously.

One other thing: The battery won't last forever. Perhaps your battery is just worn out. When I bought a new battery, it seems to last twice as long as the old, worn out one. I couldn't imagine using my Treo 650 enough to run my new battery down in a day.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Push mail solved the battery issues for me. I was using an extended battery and carrying around the original as a spare and depleting both before the workday was finished - checking 4 e-mail accounts every 5 minutes. Now (with push) I can go all day and evening with either the extended or the regular battery and do fine with just the nightly charge.
    i have 2 zap! external battery packs and they help me when i'm camping or just plain away from power... it's a li-ion batty about the size of a pop-tart that contains a 4ah battery with a usb charging port on it. i just plug the usb charge cable into it and it slowly charges. there are also similar items that use simple AA batteries to do the same thing.
    My battery lasts all day in general if i don't charge it, but i do keep it plugged in at work to my computer for usb charging...
    I also have an extra treo battery and an extended battery- after having 3 treos, you start to collect the old batteries :-)

but it really does depend on how you use it... if you're streaming a slingbox all day- yea the battery will die. if you check your email faster than you are able to receive it (we've all been there once or twice) it will go down...
    The only reason a free battery upgrade would be in order is it the phone started to melt while i was talking on it... thankfully PDAs have heat sensors to avoid problems with the battery cells spontaneously combusting
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    A coworker of mine has a BB Pearl - when we travel to client meetings, and are both using about the same phone & email he has 90% left at the end of the day. I'm lucky if my 680 has more than 30% left. Why would my Palm perform so much worse? I can't imagine that his Pearl has a larger battery (his phone is small).
    I have not been a member long on this site but I see that lots of folks cry about things that they have no control over.

Most return policy for all phone are at least 15 - 30 days which is enough time for you to know if the phone is any good or not. I noticed this battery problem within the first 2 days and was disappointed.

When I first purchased my 680 I to was disappointed in the battery life so I just purchased the extended battery and now I can use my Treo for 3 days without charging if I like. On a normal day I have my blue tooth active, read email with snapper, use my phone, use other programs on my phone, listen to music on my break and other things with no worry about LOW battery.

Life is all about spending money for convenience and I don't have the time to complain, I just do what ever I have to do to make it right when someone else won't.

So if you're stuck with the 680 and cannot return it, just BUY the extended battery and your problems are over.

That's my 2 cents....
    --------------
    The Judge
    Houston, Tx.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgreen View Post
    A coworker of mine has a BB Pearl - when we travel to client meetings, and are both using about the same phone & email he has 90% left at the end of the day. I'm lucky if my 680 has more than 30% left. Why would my Palm perform so much worse? I can't imagine that his Pearl has a larger battery (his phone is small).
    I had no battery issues whatsoever with my bberry. When I DID require a charge, it would get a full charge in about 20 minutes. I think the difference like I said above is in the "push" e-mail vs. the "polled" e-mail. You draw on the battery everytime you ask it to check your e-mail whereas with the berry, it is not checking. The e-mail is placed there. Also, with my Treo, I notice that it has trouble shutting applications down. When I pull up the list, I have stuff running that I have long since finished with. It is a nuisance to have to keep checking the list. For example, I am running Activesync, Wireless Manager, Tasks, Internet Explorer, Calendar, Contacts, and Outlook e-mail. I know I have not been on IE for at least 2 days. Is there any way around that? I know some people reset all day and I guess that would cure it but I have not had to do that except maybe once or twice a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    I have not been a member long on this site but I see that lots of folks cry about things that they have no control over.

LOL... I do not see any tears here. Just folks talking things out trying to find workarounds for things that concern us. It is an awesome little machine but I do have some minor issues with mine and fortunately my fellow whiners have been able to help me figure some of them out. I am glad you are so happy with your Treo :-)
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    [edited by septimus]
    Last edited by Dieter Bohn; 02/21/2007 at 03:18 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I don't have a final report as I just found this issue the other day. I have been having terrible battery life and certain applications seemed to be draining it way too fast. Also data transmit/receive drained the battery really hard too. I think Palm is giving us bad advice on battery care. I followed the instructions and never did a top off of the battery followed by a run down towards 0% followed by a charge to 100%. I saw a recommendation to do this to the 680 due to its battery problems. I followed the same procedure for my 700p and it has dramatically increased battery life and stability. Here is what I did:

1. Charge battery to 100%
    2. Modify preferences and app settings (if necessary) so that nothing starts on reboot, nothing opens a powervision connection or anything else.
    3. Run down Treo to at least 10%, if not till it shuts off on its own. (watch it may linger at 1% forever, make sure it completely dies). I found playing music in SprintTV to be quite good for this.
    4. Plug into charger and remove battery for at least one minute
    5. Replace battery. Do not hit any buttons or use the Treo until it is 100% charged

I've gone through 2 cycles of this. I saw a recommendation to do up to 5 or 6 to completely fix this problem. I am now getting much fewer crashes and enough battery life to make it through the day easily. I think Palm has been giving us bad advice on how to properly break in our batteries.
    Quote Originally Posted by fry112 View Post
    Right now I have a 650, I had the 700w but IT plain sucked so I went back to 650 , but what I ended up doing was buying a new battery from sprint and my 650 battery still sucks , ,,
    Mine doesnt make it through an entire day , but I have extrem heavy use with mine because of my job , but still all of my partners phones work for the entire day and sometimes all nighters ...

I just think that since it does so many things one of the highlights for these things should be the batterys
    I thought you were referring to a 680, and apparently so did a lot of others. Most of the responding posts are about the 680 battery life. The 650 battery has never been a problem for me. Maybe Tony is right and your battery went bad. Although, rereading your post, it looks like you tried a new battery also. Could your battery connections be going bad?
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    I thought you were referring to a 680, and apparently so did a lot of others. Most of the responding posts are about the 680 battery life. The 650 battery has never been a problem for me. Maybe Tony is right and your battery went bad. Although, rereading your post, it looks like you tried a new battery also. Could your battery connections be going bad?
    One more thing to remember: They cannot design a battery for the most heavy user out there. Everything is a compromise. They could have put in a larger battery but most of us don't need it, so it would only be more cost/weight/size for most of us. I think they picked the right battery for the 650. Of course, if you keep the radio on all day, you will run out of power (but most people do not need to do that). For those people, an extra battery is a good solution, or keeping the phone on the charger as much as possible during the day.