1.    #1  
    Here's a Computerworld article on what Wall Street is thinking about Palm.
    Right now it looks like just a rumor and nothing else. The Wall Street Journal doesn't have any recent news indicating anything and that's who I go off of for "real" business news.

In terms of acquisitons, who would actually want to buy Palm?
  3.    #3  
    It is just a rumor, but the buzz sometimes means there's some hidden sting.

The question of who would want to buy them is interesting. Naming names might bring just as many reasons why any certain company wouldn't want to buy them, as happened in the article. But then once all potential suitors are eliminated, what conclusion is left?
    Competition is flooding the marketplace every day. Now I think every major cell phone company except Nokia is in the smartphone business.

The only thing that differentiates Palm from the rest of the group is 1) Brand Name and 2) The Operating System.

Their stock price over the past year has been driven into the ground. Their penetration into the consumer market has been lukewarm at best. Palm is pushing pretty much reincarnations of old designs by removing antennas and changing skin colors as competitors to sexy phones like the Blackjack.

It's almost like the auto companies here in the US. They have a good product, but they failed to keep up with everyone else in terms of innovation.
    Nokia IS in the smartphone business. Many US users just don't realize it because carriers do not carry many of Nokia's true line-up.

To stay on topic, I think Palm should get some innovative new management or sell! There are Motorola rumors posted in another thread.

HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Apple would be a very intersting buyer, who could take Palm for it's Garnet OS users and transition them to OsX mobile, but there are problems: 1) what to do with the Windows Treo line, and 2) they probably want to execute on their existing plans and see how many treo users cross over on their own before they consider an aquisition to get more users. If Microsoft buys Palm, Apple automatically will wins most remaining Garnet OS users who haven't switched over to Windows Mobile. Still Microsoft would be a good candidate to buy Palm. Might push me over to the iPhone though!

I was suprised to learn they didn't consider Motorola to be likely to want Palm. They're probably right, in that Motorola is more of a hardware than a software house.

Palm must be really p*ssed that this news is being discussed among their user community. Uncertainty is never good, but I think Palm has lost it's vision, which is sad, because that is where their value was.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Apple would be interesting. Now, in my opinion the only value I see in Palm these days is the name. I could see Apple buying Palm, dumping the Palm OS, putting a "business" version of Mobile Mac OS X on a Treo platform.

Only problem is that we may see carrier exclusivity like we do with Apple and Cingular over the iPhone. That stuffs out competition and hurts consumers.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I want to see palm sold to a savvy, successful technology company - one that won't buy the rights to their legacy then kill it.

palm has been based on superb ideas, but they have let themselves slow into a laggard companywhich has unraveled before our very eyes during the past 3-4 years.

new management with innovation and a finger on the pulse of the tech market - backed by solid capital.

this is what palm needs. not gonna happen under colligan and the others.

its time to hand the reigns over to the pros now.
    I gotta have more cowbell