Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I haven't seen much talk on the joining of palm and motorola. just wanted to here from the group on what we could see come of this partnership.

my experience with motorola was only with nextel phones. which for me was durable, but years behind everyone else in features.

does this have anything to do with palm not releasing any up dates lately for most of the units released in the last 8 months. a friend seems to think that palm is done with the treo's and is just getting rid of all the ones thay have been working on in the last few years so thay can get something for there time in r and d.
    If the above is true, there would be no value in buying Palm other than to get at their customer base, or to pay to deep six palm. They don't need to pay to deep six Palm (they seem to be doing that on their own. EDIT: or the market is doing it to them.) The customer bases is largely through carriers (at least in the US) so they wouldn't be considering buying Palm for that. To me, this leaves buying Palm in order to continue their existing offerings (with better management) seems to be the only place there is value. I think the engineers are probably good, after all, they designed the tungstens, TX, treo 600 and 650, and learned some lessons with the lifedive and the 700 w/wx/p platform. I think the development team with some better process/management and a company with deeper pockets could be just what is needed to keep Palm going. Palm won't be able to compete against Apple and Microsoft on their own. Motorola would be likely be a good stewart of many of Palm's ambitions.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    What about the possibility of a massive flood of Colligan hubris followed by a management buyout? I mean they are geniuses and everything so it must be Wall Street's fault that Palm's stock price is horrible.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    I pretty much agree with bclancy
    I could see Moto being more of a $$$ and management backing for Palm and maybe moto given their smartphone division to Palm.
    Next thing you know we'll be seeing rumors about a Palm Q.
    I had a friend of mine who was having dinner with a cousin of a friend that works for Palm and they said that there is definately going to be a Treo-RAZR.

OMG!! I cant wait!

Barf.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    A Treo-Razr with a battery life on one hour? Ben
    Motorola plus Palm?

Motorola will bring its clunky design skills to the table. Palm will bring its (ahem) management skills to the table.

Result?
    Wanted to "here"? Yikes!
  9.    #9  
    please excuse my grammer. no need to make fun of me.
    Last edited by codyppc; 02/20/2007 at 08:18 PM.
    Probably this ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    Probably this ...

Cool-if Palm launches one like that I will be buying one.
    Probably this ...
    damn seriously thats hot!

Id LOVE to see what Moto could do with a clamshell treo design.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    I just can't see what on earth Motorola would gain from this. Their phone related parts (voice, bluetooth) are way ahead of anything Palm has. And the Q with the latest firmware update actually works extremely well, much more stable than my 750v has been. They just announced a new Q for Q2 this year with HSDPA and quad-band GSM, and bluetooth 2.0 and a 2MP camera, and WM6 standard edition. This new Q looks hot, I just don't see what they would be gaining from this.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Yes, I loved some of the quotes from 3GSM where Ed was basically saying they have no need to change anything. That users want usability and stability. Hello? They are getting their usability clocks cleaned by the flood of WM5/WM6 smartphones and the iPhone. Stability wise, the 750 is not very stable at all in my opinion. What is it again that Palm does right lately?

I love how since the iPhone was introduced Ed is saying what things their business users need. Just before the introduction I remember this huge "marketing" push that they were going to be focusing on expanding their appeal to consumers. I wonder what ever happened with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    What about the possibility of a massive flood of Colligan hubris followed by a management buyout? I mean they are geniuses and everything so it must be Wall Street's fault that Palm's stock price is horrible.
    I don't think Moto will offering any upgrade path to the traditional PalmOS users. 700p is going to be the last POS Treo.

They have their own Linux solution but is totally closed platform so I don't think ACCESS's POS competibility layer will work. Now if Motorola buy both Palm and ACCESS then I can see they will make Linux work on Treo and future PDA phones.

However if they alter the Treo formula any further, I won't consider the new phones Treo either. For example if they get rip off the SD slot I am gone.
    Probably this ...
    Niceeee concept
    Moto wanted to buy PalmSource. As Palm now has a perpetual license this makes it possible for Moto to get access to PalmOS in a roundabout way.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Yes, I loved some of the quotes from 3GSM where Ed was basically saying they have no need to change anything. That users want usability and stability. Hello? They are getting their usability clocks cleaned by the flood of WM5/WM6 smartphones and the iPhone. Stability wise, the 750 is not very stable at all in my opinion. What is it again that Palm does right lately?

I love how since the iPhone was introduced Ed is saying what things their business users need. Just before the introduction I remember this huge "marketing" push that they were going to be focusing on expanding their appeal to consumers. I wonder what ever happened with that?
    From a useability standpoint, the WM Treos are still top dog in my opinion after having used the competition's products. Also, my Treo has been more reliable than any other WM phone I've used. So, colligan does have something going when he says what he says. Of course, its not perfect, but I've been happy with the Treo and I don't have the urge to upgrade anymore like I did with my Treo 650, SMT 5600, 8125, 8525, and various other "normal" cell phones.
    Well it depends on what you mean by ease of use. I tried the Q when it first came out and it had lots of issues.

But the latest version with their latest software has made big strides. Here's an example of real usability: they have profiles built in. You can manually select what you want but there is an automatic mode where it will switch between a normal and meeting profile based on your calendar. It will also switch to a headset or car profile if it is connected to either through a wired connection or through bluetooth. Really, useful and stable. And I have to say that after almost two weeks of testing the Q has been far more stable than the 750. No crashes, no sudden loss of ringtones, no alarms not going off, no bluetooth disconnects.

The Treo used to be the king of usability, but I've found all the Treos released in the last year to have significant stability issues. If yours works fine, that's great but I think Palm has lost their way. Their great feature of typing in a name in the today screen is standard on the smartphone edition. I just don't see where they are really innovating anything anymore. It's nice that they have threaded SMS in WM5, but other than that I'm not impressed anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    From a useability standpoint, the WM Treos are still top dog in my opinion after having used the competition's products. Also, my Treo has been more reliable than any other WM phone I've used. So, colligan does have something going when he says what he says. Of course, its not perfect, but I've been happy with the Treo and I don't have the urge to upgrade anymore like I did with my Treo 650, SMT 5600, 8125, 8525, and various other "normal" cell phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    I don't think Moto will offering any upgrade path to the traditional PalmOS users. 700p is going to be the last POS Treo.
    erm.. Hello? 680? 750P?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast