Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here is something to think about
    Everyone seems to be screaming about how archaic the Palm OS is( including me) and how advanced Windows Mobile is. If Windows Mobile is so advanced, why have we not seen any ground breaking functionality or applications that have not been achieved on the Palm OS?
    Correct me if a wrong, share your views, am really curious, and please donít bring up wifi, we all know this.
    i agree....everyone complains that palm hasn't come out with an update for a while and bla bla..while windows is coming out....but nothing is that groundbreaking to merit a 'new version'....palm is fine for me.....and wi-fi?? im glad it doesn't even have it...my EV-DO is better than wi-fi any day....
    Agreed on the Wi-Fi. I like how I can be anywhere my service works and get high-speed web access. This is better for say bookstores or coffee shops that require you to pay for Wi-Fi.
    Sorry, gotta break the rules here since others brought it up. Wifi is more important than you all think. Keep in mind that other parts of the world don't have it as good as we do data-wise. Do you want Palm to be a provincial or worldwide company?

1. WM has true multi-tasking.
    2. WM can handle BT, cell radio and wifi(yeah I know) together. Apparently Palm OS cannot and that's the real reason no wifi can appear on a Palm OS Treo.
    3. WM6 will have storage card encryption and remote device wipe built-in. 3rd party apps for Palm OS still.
    4. How well does the Palm OS interact with Exchange servers? This one I don't know, but suspect WM has the handle on this one.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I understand that WM has true multitasking...but geez..its a handheld device..do you really need more than 1 program running? BT, using the cell radio, and being able to check my calender is multi-tasking enough for me.

I personally found it very annoying that every time I would switch apps, it wouldn't let me close out of it, therefore, leading to having to do a reset every so often so my device would run fast as it should and not having unnecessary programs running in the background.

as for WM having built in encryption...who cares? if 3rd party apps can do it for the palm...that is just has good as it being a standard palm feature

I couldn't tell you about exchange servers since I don't use it on my palm.

As for a treo being worldwide...it's never going to happen..first of all..verizon and sprint isn't even GSM..so it doesnt work in europe or asia.....no need to even bring my phone with me to a place where it won't work....a treo is a phone to me with extra features....but a phone first
    Palakdesai, a most of your response was a "well PalmOS can do some it to, just not as well" or "Well I don't need it, so no one else does". Why not get what does something best? Diva's points are very legitimate and are more important than you think.

I understand that WM has true multitasking...but geez..its a handheld device..do you really need more than 1 program running? BT, using the cell radio, and being able to check my calender is multi-tasking enough for me.
    1. It's not all about you. That's your personal situation which is nice and all, but doesn't apply to everyone. I personally enjoy multitasking on my I-mate PDA2 and I NEVER run out of memory or worry about closing apps, unless they freeze. With my 650, if an app freezes, I restart the whole device. With my PDA2, if an app freezes, I close it and open it again. Multitasking is great when you know how to use it.

2. It's more than just being able to do more than 1 thing at a time. Look at the 680, and all the PalmOS Treos. Why do you think the 680 is stuck at EDGE, while the 750 has UMTS/HSDPA? Because PalmOS doesn't multitask, it can't handle simultaneous voice and data, preventing it from being UMTS/HSDPA compliant. The same thing is gonna happen with EvDO Revision A, unless Palm makes major updates to their OS (When was the last time that happened?). The same thing goes with wifi (I'm sure part of it is the carriers, although all carriers have wifi devies too).

I personally found it very annoying that every time I would switch apps, it wouldn't let me close out of it, therefore, leading to having to do a reset every so often so my device would run fast as it should and not having unnecessary programs running in the background.
    Once again, that's your situation. I don't know which device you used (700w? If so that's why you don't like multitasking, it doesn't work well on the 700w), but if your device has adequate memory, you shouldn't find yourself running out of memory unless you're opening a lot of apps. I never NEED to close apps on my PDA2, I close them because I want to. Besides, if you really need to, there are third party apps to let you close apps properly.

as for WM having built in encryption...who cares? if 3rd party apps can do it for the palm...that is just has good as it being a standard palm feature
    Well obviously those who need it would care....Why should one have to pay for and load their devices with third party apps (that could lead to instability) when there could be a built in solution? Generally, things that are built in usually work better than third party apps (look at the third party threaded text messaging options for WM, then look at Palm's threaded texting app; most would agree that the Palm app is better). And it's not as good as it being a standard feature if I have to pay extra for it and install it separately

Once again, Microsoft's Exchange integration is miles ahead of Palm's....hell, Palm just now added Direct Push like two or three weeks ago, when MS had it a looong time ago. Those that wanted Direct Push on PalmOS had to shell out $40 for Chatter email. After spending $650 on a device, why should I have to spend more money just to get my email pushed to me?

When I got my 650 (only last month), I was very disappointed when I found out that:

-I couldn't sync my subfolders with Versamail
    -I couldn't invite attendees

Hell, I even had to do a custom ROM and upgrade to Versamail 3.5 just to get Versamail to sync my contacts and calendar on my 650. Palm wants to charge $10 for Versamail 3.5 if you don't have it already, luckily i found a workaround...

All of these I was doing with ease, using the built in Pocket Outlook on my I-mate PDA2 (running WM2003SE even, not WM5 or WM6), for FREE and without modification or third party apps.

As for a treo being worldwide...it's never going to happen..first of all..verizon and sprint isn't even GSM..so it doesnt work in europe or asia.....no need to even bring my phone with me to a place where it won't work....a treo is a phone to me with extra features....but a phone first
    ??????

You do know that there are GSM versions of the 650 right? And The 680 and 750 are GSM only too...If you have Cingular or T-Mobile, you can take your Treo anywhere in the world. Palm is worldwide already, but the point Diva was trying to make was that they don't do too well outside the US. One part of it is again, the lack of wifi, due to the lack of true multitasking. Why would most Europeans want to buy the 750 that doesn't have wifi (unless you buy an expensive miniSD wifi card) when they can get cheaper devices with similar functionality that do have wifi?

Sorry for the really long response, but hopefully it helps you get a better idea as to why some prefer Windows Mobile.
    Quote Originally Posted by palakdesai View Post
    I understand that WM has true multitasking...but geez..its a handheld device..do you really need more than 1 program running? BT, using the cell radio, and being able to check my calender is multi-tasking enough for me. I need to switch between some apps quickly and it's convenient when they're already open. Although not like a heavy power user.

I personally found it very annoying that every time I would switch apps, it wouldn't let me close out of it, therefore, leading to having to do a reset every so often so my device would run fast as it should and not having unnecessary programs running in the background. All you had to do was shut down those you didn't need running under memory. Reset isn't always needed. But does help at least once or twice a week if you use a lot of programs.

as for WM having built in encryption...who cares? if 3rd party apps can do it for the palm...that is just has good as it being a standard palm featureNot having to pay extra, priceless.

As for a treo being worldwide...it's never going to happen..first of all..verizon and sprint isn't even GSM..so it doesnt work in europe or asia.....no need to even bring my phone with me to a place where it won't work....a treo is a phone to me with extra features....but a phone first *cough*680 and 750. 680 is sold overseas also, look on Palm's overseas sites. 750 has tri-band UMTS and is sold through Vodafone as well as Cingular*cough*
    My thoughts in red.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tj8212 View Post
    Here is something to think about
    Everyone seems to be screaming about how archaic the Palm OS is( including me) and how advanced Windows Mobile is. If Windows Mobile is so advanced, why have we not seen any ground breaking functionality or applications that have not been achieved on the Palm OS?
    Correct me if a wrong, share your views, am really curious, and please donít bring up wifi, we all know this.
    But we do see that ground breaking functionality. It's called multi tasking.
    An interesting app which depends upon the new API foundation in WM6 is the use as a UMA handset. Basically your phone can switch between using the cellular radio and VOIP via WIFI seamlessly. WM6 has a VOIP API built-in as standard, and with the cooperation of the carriers this can be used to move phone calls to cheaper WLAN. The new HP Compaq 510 smartphone will be using this feature in UK in a trial with British Telcom.

So there you go, ground breaking functionality that depends on an advances feature of the OS. Maybe not terribly relevant to you, but still pretty cool and useful.

Of course there are many more, but I expect your PalmOS Treo already satisfies all your needs, so its unlikely you would find these other features convincing in any way. There are of course others with different needs who find these things essential.

Surur
    like TJ said other than wifi, theres really not much you can do on one that you can't do on the other...

specs wise, wm kills palm os devices, but they just can't seem to match the palm user experience, and despite having more ram & faster processors, wm still feels slower than the palm os when switching apps etc... Billy & the boys might get me one day, but wm5 wasn't the answer, maybe wm6 will be what finally pulls me to the darkside...

Quote Originally Posted by palakdesai View Post
    I agree being able to have chatter, verichat, ptunes, & S.A.G all running, and doing something else in the foreground is enough multi-tasking for me.... my only wish with palm multi-tasking is being able to render a webpage in the background, but other than that I'm content
    Last edited by R1_Rydah; 02/18/2007 at 04:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah View Post
    like TJ said other than wifi, theres really not much you can do on one that you can't do on the other...

I agree being able to have chatter, verichat, ptunes, & S.A.G all running, and doing something else in the foreground is enough multi-tasking for me.... my only wish with palm multi-tasking is being able to render a webpage in the background, but other than that I'm content
    The 680 helped the lack of true multi-tasking, a little, by adding the press and hold "home" button feature to return to your last five apps. if you're working in Docs or Memos, referencing a webpage, chatting and returning e-mail while listening to pTunes AND you can navigate to your five most used apps with two presses...I would consider that as much multi-tasking as I can handle
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    The 680 helped the lack of true multi-tasking, a little, by adding the press and hold "home" button feature to return to your last five apps. if you're working in Docs or Memos, referencing a webpage, chatting and returning e-mail while listening to pTunes AND you can navigate to your five most used apps with two presses...I would consider that as much multi-tasking as I can handle
    Wow ! Thats news to me.. Thanks Is there a thread with" favorite 680 tricks" ? I'm sure there's alot more I'm missing
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah View Post
    Wifi

Skype (or any VoIP for that matter)

Slingbox, although supposedly that's in the making. Not going to be any good though unless you have a 700p or a wifi connection (which is only available on Palm's PDA's, not their Treos)

Better exchange support

Simultaneous Voice and data (UMTS/HSDPA and EvDo Revision A)

To many people these things make a huge difference. It all really depends on what you need your device for.

I do agree though that Palm's user experience is a bit better. I like not having to use my stylus ever...lost the stylus on my PDA2 recently and now i have to take the stylus from my 650 whenever I want to use it.
    I enjoy threads like these. Here's something - WM is always getting updated with new features and fixing things and making great progress. The Palm OS hasn't gotten a significant upgrade in what, 4 years?
    Quote Originally Posted by byronchurch View Post
    Wow ! Thats news to me.. Thanks Is there a thread with" favorite 680 tricks" ? I'm sure there's alot more I'm missing
    there's a few apps that have been around for awhile that add this feature, here are a few examples in this thread... But its good to see its finally included in the OS, and not having to add a 3rd party app...
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    Palakdesai, a most of your response was a "well PalmOS can do some it to, just not as well" or "Well I don't need it, so no one else does". Why not get what does something best? Diva's points are very legitimate and are more important than you think.

1. It's not all about you. That's your personal situation which is nice and all, but doesn't apply to everyone. I personally enjoy multitasking on my I-mate PDA2 and I NEVER run out of memory or worry about closing apps, unless they freeze. With my 650, if an app freezes, I restart the whole device. With my PDA2, if an app freezes, I close it and open it again. Multitasking is great when you know how to use it.

2. It's more than just being able to do more than 1 thing at a time. Look at the 680, and all the PalmOS Treos. Why do you think the 680 is stuck at EDGE, while the 750 has UMTS/HSDPA? Because PalmOS doesn't multitask, it can't handle simultaneous voice and data, preventing it from being UMTS/HSDPA compliant. The same thing is gonna happen with EvDO Revision A, unless Palm makes major updates to their OS (When was the last time that happened?). The same thing goes with wifi (I'm sure part of it is the carriers, although all carriers have wifi devies too).

Once again, that's your situation. I don't know which device you used (700w? If so that's why you don't like multitasking, it doesn't work well on the 700w), but if your device has adequate memory, you shouldn't find yourself running out of memory unless you're opening a lot of apps. I never NEED to close apps on my PDA2, I close them because I want to. Besides, if you really need to, there are third party apps to let you close apps properly.

Well obviously those who need it would care....Why should one have to pay for and load their devices with third party apps (that could lead to instability) when there could be a built in solution? Generally, things that are built in usually work better than third party apps (look at the third party threaded text messaging options for WM, then look at Palm's threaded texting app; most would agree that the Palm app is better). And it's not as good as it being a standard feature if I have to pay extra for it and install it separately

Once again, Microsoft's Exchange integration is miles ahead of Palm's....hell, Palm just now added Direct Push like two or three weeks ago, when MS had it a looong time ago. Those that wanted Direct Push on PalmOS had to shell out $40 for Chatter email. After spending $650 on a device, why should I have to spend more money just to get my email pushed to me?

When I got my 650 (only last month), I was very disappointed when I found out that:

-I couldn't sync my subfolders with Versamail
    -I couldn't invite attendees

Hell, I even had to do a custom ROM and upgrade to Versamail 3.5 just to get Versamail to sync my contacts and calendar on my 650. Palm wants to charge $10 for Versamail 3.5 if you don't have it already, luckily i found a workaround...

All of these I was doing with ease, using the built in Pocket Outlook on my I-mate PDA2 (running WM2003SE even, not WM5 or WM6), for FREE and without modification or third party apps.

??????

You do know that there are GSM versions of the 650 right? And The 680 and 750 are GSM only too...If you have Cingular or T-Mobile, you can take your Treo anywhere in the world. Palm is worldwide already, but the point Diva was trying to make was that they don't do too well outside the US. One part of it is again, the lack of wifi, due to the lack of true multitasking. Why would most Europeans want to buy the 750 that doesn't have wifi (unless you buy an expensive miniSD wifi card) when they can get cheaper devices with similar functionality that do have wifi?

Sorry for the really long response, but hopefully it helps you get a better idea as to why some prefer Windows Mobile.
    well i gues the moral is ..it all comes down to personal preference

sorry about the GSM mistake..for some reason..i was only thinking of treo 700p's which is only on verizon/sprint...which is not GSM..i forgot about the cingular versions

the main factor that led me to choose palm is the screen resolution...the palm screen is much nicer and smoother looking than the windows...320x320 vs 240x240 i believe
    If that was your main reason the good news is that the next WM Treo's will likely be 320x320 too. Now you too can enjoy all the ancilliary benifits of an OS that is being actively developed.

Surur
    if they had the same resolution..id definetly would have gone with the wm version....but to have crappy resolution on a $600 device (as much as a laptop!) really made me lose my taste in WM
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Now you too can enjoy all the ancilliary benifits of an OS that is being actively developed.
    They're not all benefits though. Take the analogy of being a battlefield archaeologist - where would you rather dig, Normandy or Iraq?

Or, to put it another way, XP or Vista, if it was on the PC that ran your life support?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    However, would you rather stay behind or move ahead in 2007?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast