Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    However, would you rather stay behind or move ahead in 2007?
    Option 3 - Work efficiently.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    Why should one have to pay for and load their devices with third party apps (that could lead to instability) when there could be a built in solution? Generally, things that are built in usually work better than third party apps (look at the third party threaded text messaging options for WM, then look at Palm's threaded texting app; most would agree that the Palm app is better). And it's not as good as it being a standard feature if I have to pay extra for it and install it separately
    Why should someone who doesn't need such "solutions" pay for them to be built in? Your "built-in solutions" = my "feature bloat."
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    What about common sense solutions?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    They're not all benefits though. Take the analogy of being a battlefield archaeologist - where would you rather dig, Normandy or Iraq?

Or, to put it another way, XP or Vista, if it was on the PC that ran your life support?
    I see your point, but MS prizes compatibility, so its not been too wild a ride.

Surur
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Sorry, gotta break the rules here since others brought it up. Wifi is more important than you all think. Keep in mind that other parts of the world don't have it as good as we do data-wise. Do you want Palm to be a provincial or worldwide company?

1. WM has true multi-tasking.
    2. WM can handle BT, cell radio and wifi(yeah I know) together. Apparently Palm OS cannot and that's the real reason no wifi can appear on a Palm OS Treo.
    3. WM6 will have storage card encryption and remote device wipe built-in. 3rd party apps for Palm OS still.
    4. How well does the Palm OS interact with Exchange servers? This one I don't know, but suspect WM has the handle on this one.
    Regarding your question on how POS works with Exchange servers, I have not had good luck with my Treo 650. I love everything else about the phone. My corp IT group tells me it works great with the WM Treos, but they gave up on the POS devices. When I sync(I've only tried manual) it struggles on email and routinely wipes out my calendar - a highly frustrating experience. Palm has been no help. If I'm reading the literature correctly, I can't sync my Treo with my desktop while I have the Treo set up with an Active Sync account. - Very painful. I gave up using it for email months ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom LaPrise View Post
    Why should someone who doesn't need such "solutions" pay for them to be built in? Your "built-in solutions" = my "feature bloat."
    Pay for what? The whole point is that you're not paying extra for something because it's already built into the device.

If two devices cost the same (700p and 700wx for example), what is it that the user has to "pay" for?

What specifically, is it that Windows users "pay" for?

And what have built in solutions does Windows have that you consider bloatware? I can't really think of anything Windows has that Palm has that wouldn't be bloatware.
    Wifi
    Wifi is working in Palm OS, they just need it working on the Treos.

Skype (or any VoIP for that matter)
    There are 2 VOIP apps for the Palm OS currently. Articulation and VOYP. I have been testing Articulation on my 700p connecting to my office VOIP server. When you have a good signal the app works great. They have a few bugs to work out and features to add but overall it does the job.

Slingbox, although supposedly that's in the making. Not going to be any good though unless you have a 700p or a wifi connection (which is only available on Palm's PDA's, not their Treos)
    Even though it only works (well) on the 700p, it's still coming out, and that's one less thing Windows Mobile will have on Palm OS.

Better exchange support
    I know it's 3rd party (and expensive) but I use GoodLink for Exchange and couldn't be happier. Mail, Calendar, Notes, Tasks, all in realtime on my Palm. Great SOLID app that just works. In addition to GoodLink I also run Chattermail with 2 online IMAP mailboxes. This all runs in the background while I watch movies in TCPMP, play NES games on LJP, jump back to GoogleMaps to lookup a businesses, tap the number to make the call, jumps to the phone app where my call is made over my BT headset.

This is A LOT of things going on at once, and they work. Not bad for a cooperative multitasking OS.

Simultaneous Voice and data (UMTS/HSDPA and EvDo Revision A)
    I think this is possible. The current OS can push BT data and phone data at the same time. I think the limitation is the CPU. Maybe bump it up to 500mhz and it might work. Windows 95/98/ME weren't true multi-threaded, but they could still run multiple apps/network interfaces at the same.
    Pay for what? The whole point is that you're not paying extra for something because it's already built into the device.

If two devices cost the same (700p and 700wx for example), what is it that the user has to "pay" for?

What specifically, is it that Windows users "pay" for?

And what have built in solutions does Windows have that you consider bloatware? I can't really think of anything Windows has that Palm has that wouldn't be bloatware.
    Do they cost the same? I see the 700p for "as low as $299" (depending on carrier, according to Palm) and the 700wx for "$399 for Sprint" and "$299 for Verizon." Subsidized to the same price by a carrier? The carrier absorbed the price difference. Apparently, Sprint chose not to. Built-in WiFi costs something.

"I can't really think of anything Windows has that Palm has that wouldn't be bloatware."

That's my point. It's what Windows has that Palm does NOT have that I consider "bloat." (Also, notice I wrote "feature bloat" vs. "bloatware." I have one piece of "bloatware" on my Palm--ePocrates, which is a hell of a lot bigger than it needs to be!)

I don't need a "Start button" on a handheld. I don't need multitasking in a handheld. I don't need to wonder if closing an application really closes it. I don't need a registry in a handheld. (For that matter, I don't need a phone in my PDA, which is why I don't have a Treo.)

I can launch any application--ANY application--in my Palm OS device with, at most, three taps. I have all the applications I need and didn't pay for any I don't need; same goes for features. It's quick and easy to use and it does everything I need it to do and nothing I don't need it to do.
    Last edited by Tom LaPrise; 02/22/2007 at 05:17 AM.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    But MANY DO need multi-tasking.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom LaPrise View Post
    Do they cost the same? I see the 700p for "as low as $299" (depending on carrier, according to Palm) and the 700wx for "$399 for Sprint" and "$299 for Verizon." Subsidized to the same price by a carrier? The carrier absorbed the price difference. Apparently, Sprint chose not to. Built-in WiFi costs something.
    Was at the Sprint store Tuesday, 700p and 700wx both were $250 with a new activation. When I say they're the same in price, I'm talking about the fact that they have the same up front price ($650). I don't see why you'd say wifi costs something when the 700wx doesn't have wifi. It supports it, but doesn't have it built in. If the wx is more expensive, anywhere, it's just because it's newer. The 6700 does more than the wx, and has always been cheaper than the 700p and 700wx, so it's not that Windows costs more or less than PalmOS.

"I can't really think of anything Windows has that Palm has that wouldn't be bloatware."

That's my point. It's what Windows has that Palm does NOT have that I consider "bloat." (Also, notice I wrote "feature bloat" vs. "bloatware." I have one piece of "bloatware" on my Palm--ePocrates, which is a hell of a lot bigger than it needs to be!)
    Sorry, that was a typo. What about Windows is feature bloating?

I'm guessing you're a pharmacist? My mom's a pharmacist..she bought a T|X just to run Epocrates (that's all she uses it for :-\).

I don't need a "Start button" on a handheld. I don't need multitasking in a handheld. I don't need to wonder if closing an application really closes it. I don't need a registry in a handheld. (For that matter, I don't need a phone in my PDA, which is why I don't have a Treo.)

I can launch any application--ANY application--in my Palm OS device with, at most, three taps. I have all the applications I need and didn't pay for any I don't need; same goes for features. It's quick and easy to use and it does everything I need it to do and nothing I don't need it to do.
    Well that's great for you and all, but what does that do for the people who need good Exchange support? Nothing. You're trying to say Windows is bloated because it's got stuff you don't need, but that's just your situation. For example, if a Treo 650 user wants push email, he has to go buy Chattermail. My point is Windows can do more than PalmOS, and your point is that PalmOS can do enough for you, which isn't always enough for other peole.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I dont personally own both, but i have read that Blazer is better then PIE, and Docs 2 Go is better then Pocket Word. Anyone with experience w/ both?
    Last edited by ink883; 02/22/2007 at 03:14 PM.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    But MANY DO need multi-tasking.
    I did not *need* it, but after getting my 700wx last month I don't know if I'd want to be without it.

About the same as leather vs. cloth in a car... I had leather, went back to cloth.... I don't need leather, but it made cleaning my car (and keeping it clean) 50 to 60 times easier. I'll have leather in my next car....

At the end though, we like new things.... we want technology to wow us everytime a new device is released. But after reading all the complaints on the 700p and the few on the 700wx, I went with the wx... palm is an old OS, and it should be without ANY issues. Period.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883 View Post
    I dont personally own both, but i have read that Blazer is better then PIE, and Docs 2 Go is better then Pocket Word. Anyone with experience w/ both?
    Each has their merits and problems.

Blazer: I like how I can scroll pages at a time with up and down, and then select links with the left and right on the 5 way nav. Makes for a great 1 handed browsing experience.

IE - just seems to handle websites and website formatting better. Seems to load faster to.

As far as Docs 2 Go vs. Pocket Word, I haven't done too much with Docs 2 Go simply because the keyboard shortcuts I normally use in Word (Like Ctrl+B for bold, Ctrl+U for underline) don't work in D2G. But for creating a general word document, I don't think there are any major differences that would cause me to lean to one or the other. I just use Pocket Word mainly because of my keyboard shortcut, and my PDA2 has a bigger screen than my 650. Plus it fits better on my keyboard stand. Otherwise, most of the things I do in pWord I could do in D2G.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12