1.    #1  
    well it sounds like thay have done it. microsoft has xda-developers removing all roms this week.

http://www.phonenews.com/content/view/1847/
    As the article cleary stated, if manufacturers(and probably MSFT too) would allow updates, there wouldn't have been a need for XDA to host updated ROMS.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #3  
    agree. what I don't uderstand why does microsoft even care. no one that cooks roms or installs them is ever going to call anyone for support. if thay can install a hacked rom there is nothing a support noob is going to tell them that thay don't already know.

plus microsoft gets all the money there going to get when the original device was purchased. thay got paid.
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    agree. what I don't uderstand why does microsoft even care. no one that cooks roms or installs them is ever going to call anyone for support. if thay can install a hacked rom there is nothing a support noob is going to tell them that thay don't already know.

plus microsoft gets all the money there going to get when the original device was purchased. thay got paid.
    Not to mention the people that go out and buy devices because they see all the stuff you can do with XDA's roms...

Personally, I think this just means they'll move to a different method of distributing their ROMS. Rapidshare, megaupload, etc. Maybe an IRC channel, torrents, and other such methods.
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post

They want to maintain control over their copyrighted software, which I agree with. BUT they create a LOT of their own probelms by being too restrictive and refusing to allow people to update their ROMs. I have not seen an offer yet to update to WM 5.2 from the first generation WM5. 5.2 probably has bug fixes, corrections and some added functionality.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6.    #6  
    i posted this over on the w/wx side. this is just a copy...

this is just copied from ppcgeeks. i felt posting it here as well could help the cause.

even though we have no custom rom for the 700w/wx, i'm sure many would like to see one. in fact many may have already installed one of these custom roms on another device. xda-developers makes most of the roms and has them availible for use to download. microsoft is asking them to take them down.

please help, cody

quote for ppcgeeks...Just quoting what Helmi_C posted. If you like your Custom ROMs and want more, more upgrades, more development........than PLEASE sign this petition to help save XDA and all others. So that we may be able to post our Customs so that the masses can download. Thanks for the help and support!
    ~Mike

link to the petition... http://www.petitiononline.com/xdadevs/petition.html

please reply to this thread, after you sign petition, to keep in on the front page.