1.    #1  
    I've come across some [fairly dated] security bulletins on the internet describing workarounds that enable anyone to determine the password used to secure a palm device. Several applications are mentioned [Palmcrypt, Not Sync, etc.]. They all seem to be referencing older operating systems [3.5 and earlier]. Does anyone have current information of the security of the factory-state 700 line of Treos? [factory state meaning with no third party security applications loaded]

Thanks,

EWT
    Even the best security can be circumvented by those with the desire and the know how. You could disassemble the Treo and read the memory chip bit by bit . . . . . . . .

What is the risk of your private information being used if your Treo is lost or stolen?

1. Without a keyboard password -- quite possible. . . .
    2. With a keyboard password -- very minimal. 99.999% would be after the money represented by the hardware and would hard reset the device and solve the problem for you.
    3. Want extra security? Get one of the Wipe programs that can send an erase command to the Treo by SMS if it is lost or stolen.

I use a keyboard password in conjunction with mSafe program. However, if some CIA type stole my Treo for the sole purpose of unlocking it's secrets -- I am sure they could . . . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
  3.    #3  
    Perry, thanks for the insights...

I agree that if the machine were to fall into the wrong hands, no security would be adequate. I don't know the technical aspects of the Treo's memory chip well enough to assess your comment about disassembling the device, but what I'm trying to get a sense of is how readily someone with little hacking skills could gain access to my data. I'm talking about simply possessing a second Treo, and by running certain software which exploits the infrared hotsync option between the two devices, could obtain my locking password. I recognize that the likelihood of a would be thief being inclined to try this process on my particular handset is fairly low, but I'm looking at contingency situations.

Thanks again,

EWT

EDIT: I am currently weighing mSafe and Teallock against eachother, and plan on making a purchase in the near future to shore up my security. Any particular reason you chose mSafe?
    I have licenses for both applications and though they both do the same basic function, TealLock 6 does is so much better and has so many more options. The support also fro TealLock is way much better.

Ben
  5.    #5  
    Great. Thanks much for the replies.

-EWT
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I have licenses for both applications and though they both do the same basic function, TealLock 6 does is so much better and has so many more options. The support also fro TealLock is way much better.

Ben

I have not done a side by side comparison myslef . . . . . but I trust Ben. . . . . I may even go look at TealLock 6 myself. . . . .
    TealLock 6 is a re-write of #5 - so many more options. When it first came out I looked and said too much to look at. I installed and played about a week later and kept up with the releases and am happy with it. TealLock 6 also supports remote wiping; however, I am a fan of BluePill - it does it in the background before you even know what happened. So, TealLock 6 and BluePill, a heck of a combination. Also, I use it daily between 10a and 7p and it has not given me a problem at all.

A note - my lock screen has a button that allows the device to only dial my other cell phone - no user information is displayed at all.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    TealLock 6 is a re-write of #5 - so many more options. When it first came out I looked and said too much to look at. I installed and played about a week later and kept up with the releases and am happy with it. TealLock 6 also supports remote wiping; however, I am a fan of BluePill - it does it in the background before you even know what happened. So, TealLock 6 and BluePill, a heck of a combination. Also, I use it daily between 10a and 7p and it has not given me a problem at all.

A note - my lock screen has a button that allows the device to only dial my other cell phone - no user information is displayed at all.

Ben

He goes to investigate. . . . . . . . . .

. . .especially since the lockout bypass has been made ever so public. . . . .

Again though, my thought is that with the system lockout in place -- you have protected your lost or stolen Treo's information from 99.99% of the those that might come into pocession of it. . . . . and as for that last 0.01% . . . they will find a way in no matter what. . . . .

Thank-You Ben for the update.

Cheers, Perry.
  9.    #9  
    Are you referring to my post? I did a simple internet search and turned up the info on the apps available to circumvent the lockout password. I assumed it was fairly common knowledge, to those interested in that sort of thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post

He goes to investigate. . . . . . . . . .

. . .especially since the lockout bypass has been made ever so public. . . . .

I was referring to the TreoCentral front page article. . . . . .

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1094-1.htm

And no inference was meant or intended that it should not have been made public . . . .

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/15/2007 at 09:52 AM.
  11.    #11  
    No worries,

EWT