Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Thanks for your feedback jpik. Your situation sounds interesting and unique...

Quote Originally Posted by jpik View Post
    I was using them, and wanted to search around for something else, they are a great company, unfortunately i have to wait 90 days to go back with them, which we'll have to wait and see about, best price for GOODMOBILE, and if you have a BB too, plus no activations fees, I was going back and forth with my 680 and a BB 8700 to see which I liked better with the service.

the only thing I don't like about them is they won't take me back for another 70 days or so! but that's my dumb fault
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Here's some feedback on MailStreet. Reps were very helpful (working with Daniel@MailStreet.com), after I went through online setup at about 5:30pm a customer service rep called at about 9:30 leaving a message that the accounts were provisioned and left their support phone number if I had questions. The setup info was well documented specific to our server and users. The performance was the best I've experienced with any online Exchange host. I copied a bunch of folders for one user who had about 400 contacts and never even saw the progress bar! At first I thought the contacts weren't copying or that I was offline but they just copied up quickly.
    The ActiveSync setup also went smoothly.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsteinschneider View Post
    Here's some feedback on MailStreet. Reps were very helpful (working with Daniel@MailStreet.com), after I went through online setup at about 5:30pm a customer service rep called at about 9:30 leaving a message that the accounts were provisioned and left their support phone number if I had questions. The setup info was well documented specific to our server and users. The performance was the best I've experienced with any online Exchange host. I copied a bunch of folders for one user who had about 400 contacts and never even saw the progress bar! At first I thought the contacts weren't copying or that I was offline but they just copied up quickly.
    The ActiveSync setup also went smoothly.
    How much $$$ per year? Does your plan include OWA? Size limit for your PST file?
    Treo 700WX - VZW
  4.    #124  
    I tried to sign up for Mail2Web. I ran into some problems:

1) Their personal ($1.99/mo) plan doesn't include the ability to use MS-Outlook. (Just OWA)
    2) Their business plan ($8.99/mo) requires me to use my own domain. (Which I have, but I prefer to use the .mac account that I have.) Apparently they don't offer forwarding on this plan like 4smartphone does. So much for mail2web.

I'm checking out mailstreet now.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    I've actually had a lot of problems finding a comparable service to 4smartphone that offers everything I'm looking for as well. Most services seem to require that you use your own domain and won't set it up so that you can forward another email address to your Exchange mailbox and have emails sent from your Exchange mailbox appear to come from that email address.

I was all set to go with Sherweb until I found out they wouldn't support this. I thought Mail2Web supported it (although apparently not), but they were very limiting in other aspects (RPC over HTTP not available with personal account, only 500MB mailbox with business account vs. 1GB mailbox with personal acct, etc.) so they were no good either. Mailstreet seems to be VERY expensive to get the same 1GB mailbox that I had with 4smartphone (somewhere around $50/month).

Right now, I'm down to two potential options: IQThink.com and 1and1.com. I'm still waiting to hear back from IQThink in regards to a bunch of questions I sent them, although thus far they have been very responsive to me. However, I still need to confirm that they will support using an external email address (such as my yahoo address) with their service. 1and1.com will support that, and seems to offer a lot for even less money per month than 4smartphone charged (and they bill in 3-month increments vs. 4smartphone's yearly increments). The only downside I've been able to come up with regarding 1and1.com is that they offer a 1GB Exchange mailbox and that's it. There is no way to add additional space as the need arises. It seems kind of odd that they'd do that, but I guess it's not a deal breaker since I could always get a second Exchange account or archive some stuff to a PST that I didn't need. If anyone has any reviews/info on either of these two providers, or any other suggestions, I'd definitely love to hear about it. Either way, given the limitations, the poor customer service, and the really poor reliability of 4smartphone I will definitely not be staying with them and am just evaluating my alternatives before making the switch.
  6.    #126  
    I'm now looking at 1and1. I'm in the same boat as Marc. I want to use my own e-mail address. If they can do this then I'll probably pull the trigger with them. It would appear that they even offer public folders which 4smartphone did not at the tier that we were using.

If 1and1 doesn't pan out then I'll be setting up my own Exchange server. (I already own the software, but I've been trying to avoid keeping a box up 24x7.) The rest of you are free to use it if you want, but I won't give you an uptime guarantee. :-) I'm out of town far too much for that.

IMAP isn't bad ... I just got spoiled with the Exchange host. :-)

Side note: 1and1 guarantees 99.99% uptime. That's .09 better than most.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    We tried 1and1 yesterday, but canceled today after we found out they don't support Entourage or Outlook 2007.
  8.    #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy8 View Post
    We tried 1and1 yesterday, but canceled today after we found out they don't support Entourage or Outlook 2007.
    Grrrr ....

I could care less about Outlook 2007. It's too slow to be usable and it keeps making my flagged e-mails show up in my task list.

HOWEVER: Entourage support I *DO* need. Did they say what the problem was?
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    I'm not sure. The support page and tech guy says it's IMAP only when you use Entourage.

I've been trying lanlogic.net since this morning. The support has been wonderful and service has been up all day (which is more than I can say with 4smartphone and mail2web).
  10.    #130  
    I wonder if he realizes that Entourage supports Exchange servers. I also thought Outlook 2007 would talk just fine with Exchange 2003. (In fact I've done just that.) Perhaps you just got the wrong guy.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Well, all I can say is that I still don't have any emails from prior to the 4smartphoane "event". However, I did receive a phone cal last night around 8:45 PM EST from one of the techs at 4smartphone. He apologized for the interuption and basically restated the email info some of us have been sent. He implied everything might be back up some time Thursday, but it might take a little longer. Hmmph. At least they called.

Russ
    Jornada 548; Jornada 568; Treo 600; Treo 700w; Treo 700wx (vzw)
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Switching b/w mail, calendars and contacts on 4smartphone causes a 20 second delay. As they are running this process to restore prior emails it seems that overall access to the servers is suffering. Strangely enough I did not lose any email, calendar or contact info. We are just suffering lags when moving b/w categories in Outlook 2003. Activesync on my Q seems to be working fine.
    BB GoAmerica > BB Earthlink > Verizon Treo 600 > Sprint Treo 650 > Sprint Treo 700p > Sprint Treo 755p & Sprint MotoQ
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I am not trying to pat myself on the back (ok maybe 1 pat) but mail2web is having issues as well. I'm not surprised as this is what i experienced quite frequently during Jan 07 for 2 weeks.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=140070
    BB GoAmerica > BB Earthlink > Verizon Treo 600 > Sprint Treo 650 > Sprint Treo 700p > Sprint Treo 755p & Sprint MotoQ
    I would not use mail2web. I have been trying to get them setup unsucessfully since sunday (today is thurs). The issue is on their end and the keep telling me try again in 2 hrs. The 24/7 support they offer is email only.
    Decided to go with themessagecenter.com. Setup was 100% easier. Got my first message 5 minutes later. Called support for quesions and got -gasp- a real person with no wait time. Wow. Almost to good to be true.
  16.    #136  
    Does themessagecenter support "forwarding" (like 4SmartPhone) or do I HAVE to switch my MX records to them?
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    When we called them, we were told we had to switch the MX record to them.
  18.    #138  
    Bummer.
    Thanks anyway.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
  19.    #139  
    I may have to eat my pride and go back to 4Smartphone. I can't find anyone else that does the forwarding thing at a reasonable cost.

For the past two weeks I've been running my own Exchange server which has been working brilliantly. It's quite fast (Faster than 4Smartphone) and has been totally reliable. (Mirrored drives and regular image backups.)

HOWEVER: The only way I can get the bloody thing to work is to turn off all firewalls. (Hardware and software). Getting OWA to work is easy, but getting the remote Outlook client to work and getting the handheld sync to work reqiures me to turn off all port blocking.

One of two things come to mind:
    1) I'm missing a port
    2) It requires a range of ports (DCOM?) that I can't open on my firewall. I can only open individual ports. The Windows firewall isn't much of a help either.

I don't really feel like purchasing a new router for this project.

The other thing I had an issue with is I can't get the handheld to communicate via SSL. I think I need to install a certificate or something. In any event I've spent a lot of time on this and I'm running out of time. I may table this project for later.

I just don't trust having an unprotected Windows server on the Internet. In fact, I think it's been online far too long as it is.

Any thoughts? I'll probably pull the trigger tomorrow.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    We almost did that last week, but decided to bite the bullet and change the MX to themessagecenter.com instead. It's been great.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast