Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    To each his/her own....Ed goes on to say that "Palm customers want a battery that will last all day" and implies that the slimmer designed phones lack battery life because of their size. I don't agree (my Pearl outlasts my last two Treos, easily). Also goes on to say that the slim phone design is a passing fad. Here you go:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...013D9053AFF%7D

Thoughts?
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    I think the analysis is kind of flawed. e.g. The actual statement "We don't want to follow design fads." is interpreted as "the maker of the Treo smart phone, will continue to focus on ease of use and reliability rather than design"

Whatever..., but the report has a negative tone to it that is a put-off.

"Slim" phones do have less battery life, the Samsung X820 runs down in a matter of hours. You get a spare battery and multiple chargers to get you through the day. I'm always amazed that people prefer carrying a "slim" phone and a string of chargers, batteries etc. along, instead of carrying ONE "fat" phone.

- mvk
    I think Ed was speaking in general terms. Perhaps the Pearl is an exception to the rule, or perhaps you are using the devices differently: ie: streaming vs. email. Which email client are you using on the Treo? (ChatterEmail is the best on battery life for push email.) Which Treo are you comparing to? (The 680's battery life is definitely below par.) Naturally Ed was spinning things a bit. If form really followed function, they wouldn't have slimmed down the Treo 680 battery. Perhaps Ed was really saying that they won't make that mistake again.

PS: My treo 700p with the stock/OEM battery gets better battery life than my 600 ever did.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I think phones have become ridiculously thin. Its just not comfortable or pretty (like one of those Olsen twins ) At some point its going to feel like holding a blade in the palm of your hand. It just would not follow the contours of your hand at all.

Now I don't think a phone should be thick, but there is a right size for a phone, and after that we are talking anorexia.

Surur
    Jesus, that means we won't get a slim Treo? That's the only way Treo can go without altering its core design.
    He's justifying the lack of change in the Treo form-factor.

I guess he figures that since customer's keep buying the existing form-factor that they don't want anything new or fresh.

At least RIM is willing to dork around with their designs a bit.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I think phones have become ridiculously thin. Its just not comfortable or pretty (like one of those Olsen twins ) At some point its going to feel like holding a blade in the palm of your hand. It just would not follow the contours of your hand at all.

Now I don't think a phone should be thick, but there is a right size for a phone, and after that we are talking anorexia.

Surur

Call me a dinosaur -- but I agree -- the current Palm 700P is a perfect size for me -- I did play touchy feely with a 750 in a Cingular store last week -- and that is an okay size -- but:

My thoughts are:

Keep the 700P size (minus the antenna, but not necessary) and keep cramming more functionality into it:

12 hour battery
    video card
    GPS
    20GB of Memory
    Bose speaker with some bass to it
    et cetera. . . . .
    (Ok, Ok --- WiFi, for you folks so inclined. . . .)

Smaller/thinner is not neccessarily better -- I want more horsepower in the same form factor!

Cheers, Perry.
    I wish he would comment on the progress if any of the new POS. sigh
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    I wish he would comment on the progress if any of the new POS. sigh

AMEN . . . . . . I do not need a second stint in the PPR.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Palm is also seeking to broaden its appeal beyond business customers to casual users.
    I was thinking about this the other day, the consumer marketplace is a different beast to the business user. As a rule of thumb, the business user will stick with a device type or form because it works, that is a reasonably rational response. However the consumer marketplace seems to be far more complicated, in that users, place a far larger emphasis on design rather than usability (I'm simplifying of course as there are a number of complex factors that interact). So although the 680 has had strong sales ( anyone got any actual figures?), if the design doesn't move on significantly within one or two initerations - is the consumer market likely to move on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Keep the 700P size (minus the antenna, but not necessary) and keep cramming more functionality into it:

12 hour battery
    video card
    GPS
    20GB of Memory
    et cetera. . . . .
    (Ok, Ok --- WiFi, for you folks so inclined. . . .)

Smaller/thinner is not neccessarily better -- I want more horsepower in the same form factor!

Cheers, Perry.
    Amen. Look at the N95, or that new Nokia E90. Those things are gigantic, but its easy to justify due to the 5 megapixel cameras, huge screens, HSDPA and gigabytes of storage etc. Conversely, limited functionality is fine if a device is small and thin. Its when you have large devices with limited functionality that the whole thing breaks down.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post

Surur
    But when I see other phones that are sexier than mine, I can't help but think my Treo is over-sized. I like the way it looks, but maybe it could lose just a few ounces. I won't mind if occasionally it doesn't have enough energy to last the whole day, as long as it's slimmer.
    i love my 680..light (to me) and when I walk thru a crowded bus stop I can always feel it in my pocket (head up to all the pickpockets) and it doesn't make me limp ..I'm old school too...when motorola had the star-tac I thought "who wants to talk to such a small thing?!" Maybe it's years of using a landline at home, but when I use a phone i want to feel it ...maybe it's a reason I don't use my BT headset much..it's nice and cool but sometimes i want to feel that phone..plus function over form for me every time!
    Quote Originally Posted by bruckwine View Post
    i love my 680..light (to me) and when I walk thru a crowded bus stop I can always feel it in my pocket (head up to all the pickpockets) and it doesn't make me limp ..I'm old school too...when motorola had the star-tac I thought "who wants to talk to such a small thing?!" Maybe it's years of using a landline at home, but when I use a phone i want to feel it ...maybe it's a reason I don't use my BT headset much..it's nice and cool but sometimes i want to feel that phone..plus function over form for me every time!
    You would probably love the HP 69x5 ... it's huge. (It'll block wind from the side of your face.) Nice phone ... easy to use keyboard ... but BIG.
    (If there ever was a phone that screamed that it needed a 480x480 display it's the HP)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Perhaps the Pearl is an exception to the rule, or perhaps you are using the devices differently: ie: streaming vs. email. Which email client are you using on the Treo? (ChatterEmail is the best on battery life for push email.) Which Treo are you comparing to? (The 680's battery life is definitely below par.)
    PS: My treo 700p with the stock/OEM battery gets better battery life than my 600 ever did.

treo 750, 680, and 700w. the Treos ran Goodlink while the Pearl is attached to our Blackberry Server at work.

regards
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    treo 750, 680, and 700w. the Treos ran Goodlink while the Pearl is attached to our Blackberry Server at work.

regards
    That's a nice assortment to base your comparison on, and like-functionality to boot. (You are comparing oranges with oranges.) Thanks for posting your data point.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I have the Q. (Me = Treo 300-600-650-700p-700wx->Q)

It can multitask, stream XM (in the background),Slingbox, sync with exchange, play Bike or Die (palm OS game via styletap), etc. I don't need to edit word or excel (but if I did I can get Docs2Go).. I have to tell you guys, I do not feel like I'm being limited in terms of function, especially compared to a Blackberry (bb users: "wow I can do 411"). This isn't a fad, the Q has adequately replaced my very powerful 700wx in terms of functionality. As an in-the-pocket carrying user, the lack of antenna, thin profile & light weight.. it makes a real difference. So does bright landscape qvga (at least compared to the wx).

Thickness Comparison Pic from gadgetsonthego

I read this marketwatch article and it came across, to me, as an excuse for Palm not to alter their designs. I was really disappointed.

12 hour battery
    video card
    GPS
    20GB of Memory
    et cetera. . . . .[wifi]
    We're talking about Palm, right? Palm is not adding these things to their Treos. They may, but they don't now, and their past actions don't indicate they will do so in the future (as a European device, the 750 needed wifi). But their words today have indicated that future Treos will not innovate in form factor. Palm: please try.
  18.    #18  
    the reason why i prefer the less heavy and less big devices is that pocketability is key for me. i don't carry a man purse nor do i want to wear case attached to my belt. so for me, and i would assume for many other business trouser wearing gentlemen (mon-fri), that less heavy and less large works better in pocket. when doing errands on the weekend it's also nice not to have to lug a device around in your hand because of how it feels flopping around in your pocket. so once again, given my needs, the less heavy and more slim devices offer all that i need in a pda.

mr. colligan, may i please direct your attention to the "other devices" forum on this website....not everyone likes them big and heavy and many like them slim.
    Thin is obviously nice, but can they go too far? The latest Samsung is only 5.9 mm (0.25 inches). Is that too thin for ergonomic comfort?

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/gallery...8e61ad53ba.jpg

3 megapixel camera on board too, EDGE and document viewers!

These guys seem to agree with me that one can go too far.
    http://forum2.mobile-review.com/showthread.php?t=59979

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 02/13/2007 at 02:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    To each his/her own....Ed goes on to say that "Palm customers want a battery that will last all day" and implies that the slimmer designed phones lack battery life because of their size. I don't agree (my Pearl outlasts my last two Treos, easily). Also goes on to say that the slim phone design is a passing fad. Here you go:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...013D9053AFF%7D

Thoughts?
    He should know. He sells the slim 680.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast