Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Amen. Look at the N95, or that new Nokia E90. Those things are gigantic
    I've been thinking about this whole size/function trade-off since the announcement of the E90. You know it's really not *that* big:

E90: 13.2 x 5.7 x 2.0 cm (150 cm3), 210 g

Bigger and heavier than the than the E61 I have now for sure:

E61: 11.7 x 6.97 mm x 1.4 cm (114 cm3), 144 g

Only a little bigger (in volume terms) than the TyTN (although substantailly heavier):

HTC TyTN: 11.25 x 5.8 x 2.195 cm (143 cm3), 176 g

but much smaller and lighter than HTC's similar form factor devices:

HTC Universal: 8.1 x 12.8 x 2.5 (259 cm3), 285 g

HTC Advantage: 13.35 x 9.8 x 2.0 cm (261 cm3), 359 g

It's bigger than I'm used to, but just look at the specs: HSDPA, GPS, 802.11g, BT 2.0, USB 2, 3 M pix camera, outer screen 240 x 320 pixels, inner screen 800 x 352 pixels, big-ish keyboard, etc, etc. I'm finding it pretty tempting.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbono13 View Post
    Look at the iPhone. As thin as a Q, with a huge touchscreen and talk time that compares with any smartphone. So it's possible-- Palm's just making excuses.
    No tactile keyboard, though. That's the complaint about the w950i. Although I like it! But BB and Treo owners are used to some type of raised keyboard. Remember, we're talking about business phones. The iPhone may or may not be accepted as a business phone. Not exactly the same market as the consumer market, although sometimes they can overlap. But the iPhone looks more like a fashion phone to me.

What Palm is really making excuses about, no built-in wifi. This should have been standard on their WM models.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I like my European version Motorola RAZR V3i. Although it’s not as multi functional as a Treo and not nearly as fast its battery life is good & It can do a lot of things such as video & mp3 playback, Games, web browsing, java, it takes pictures, records video, runs various kinds of software titles, can use a 2GB MicroSD card and has a decent size screen. IMO Overall as a phone it’s excellent.
    & with a BT keyboard it could almost be taken seriously if not for its slow USB transfer speeds. Another advantage to it is that it’s easy to tote in almost any pocket and strong enough not to break when you sit on it.

BTW I had the original American Motorola RAZR V3 and the only real difference is the MicroSD card & it can’t record video.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Could the treo size be because the device is more solid? and thus better can handle drops and such?

Anyway, i recently opened my 650, and though i did not take pictures, i do remember that the screen is not attached to the mainboard. There are some soft foam between the back of the screen and the mainboard. Further more there are components on the mainboard behind the screen. I think there is only components on one side of the mainboard.
    The keyboard is a seperate logic board attached to the mainboard by a wire. The actuall keys press down on this logic board. The Sim card reader is a 3. logic board, again attached by a wire.

If palm mounted the screen on the mainboard, and the keyboard as well, my guess is that they could easily shave off 3-4 mm in thickness. But the device might not be so solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by ion++ View Post
    Could the treo size be because the device is more solid? and thus better can handle drops and such?

Anyway, i recently opened my 650, and though i did not take pictures, i do remember that the screen is not attached to the mainboard. There are some soft foam between the back of the screen and the mainboard. Further more there are components on the mainboard behind the screen. I think there is only components on one side of the mainboard.
    The keyboard is a seperate logic board attached to the mainboard by a wire. The actuall keys press down on this logic board. The Sim card reader is a 3. logic board, again attached by a wire.

If palm mounted the screen on the mainboard, and the keyboard as well, my guess is that they could easily shave off 3-4 mm in thickness. But the device might not be so solid.
    I think Palm's claim is that that soft foam is related to the touch screen.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    I think Palm's claim is that that soft foam is related to the touch screen.
    It might be protection so people do not press too hard, but i do not think the foam has anything to do with detecting when and where the screen was touched.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123