Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    He should know. He sells the slim 680.
    Seriously, if the 680 forum is anything to go by, there are some real battery life issues there.

As for 'slim' & '680' being in the same sentence, check out these pics comparing a 680 to a Dash. I've (sadly) started to recommend the Dash to T-mobile Treo 650 carrying friends and family members
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    Seriously, if the 680 forum is anything to go by, there are some real battery life issues there.

As for 'slim' & '680' being in the same sentence, check out these pics comparing a 680 to a Dash. I've (sadly) started to recommend the Dash to T-mobile Treo 650 carrying friends and family members
    Sorry, I was being facetious. "Slim" is Palm's excuse for the 680 battery life.
  3.    #23  
    ^ there's a problem with the Treo 680 battery life?

KIDDING KIDDING KIDDING!
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Sorry, I was being facetious. "Slim" is Palm's excuse for the 680 battery life.
    it's ok, I totally understood ya, I was trying to convey the message to those who hadn't seen that comparison, because even as familiar as I am with both devices in spec, those pictures still gave me a shock.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    I have the Q. (Me = Treo 300-600-650-700p-700wx->Q)

It can multitask, stream XM (in the background),Slingbox, sync with exchange, play Bike or Die (palm OS game via styletap), etc. I don't need to edit word or excel (but if I did I can get Docs2Go).. I have to tell you guys, I do not feel like I'm being limited in terms of function, especially compared to a Blackberry (bb users: "wow I can do 411").
    Does it have threaded SMS ?
    Quote Originally Posted by ion++ View Post
    Does it have threaded SMS ?
    Funnily enough it has Palm's threaded SMS.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post

Surur
    Actually the Dash can use Palm's SMS but the Q cannot at this point, so no threaded SMS for me. It's not a big deal once you get used to it, but i do miss it.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    I have a Q, and it's battery can usually get me through a typical workday. I had it with me at a conference this weekend (12 hour workdays, with one exchaneg push email account and 1 pop email account checking every 30 min). It lasted for the most part, but i had to keep myself from doing too much extraneous websurfing.

Ed's quoted as defending the Treo's size because "Our customers want a battery that lasts all day." Maybe if he bothered to do market research on people who aren't already Treo users, he would realize that there are a more people out there that aren't Palm's customers because they don't want to carry a brick.

What he doesn't seem to comprehend is that people who want huge battery life have the option of buying Treos or they can buy a slim device and get an extended battery. People who don't want to carry a brick only have the option of not buying a Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Jesus, that means we won't get a slim Treo? That's the only way Treo can go without altering its core design.

They could also make a nice flip phone. Samsung did this when they made Palm OS phones, and I miss those phones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post

Surur
    sorry, i'm not into "stealing" software.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Actually the Dash can use Palm's SMS but the Q cannot at this point, so no threaded SMS for me. It's not a big deal once you get used to it, but i do miss it.
    It's a big deal for me, i sent about 150 messages prprpr. $week$.
    The good news is that there are a number of third party alternatives, but I believe Palm's is the best still.

Surur
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by sbono13 View Post
    What he doesn't seem to comprehend is that people who want huge battery life have the option of buying Treos or they can buy a slim device and get an extended battery. People who don't want to carry a brick only have the option of not buying a Treo.
    i agree with all of your points, i echo your comments. however, Treos, with their oem batteries, hardly offer "huge" battery life. i consider "huge" something beyond three days (without having to turn off everything). i'm sure there are devices out there that can do this but the only one that i've ever owned to do so is a RIM Blackberry (no, not a Pearl). in the end, it comes down to workload and none of my Treos ever lasted beyond a day for me.

what do i really want to say? i don't think Ed Colligan gets it.
    I honestly don't think a really thin Treo would work. But I do think they could shave a little more off it. The w950i is thin and still has touch screen, although some don't like the keyboard. A Treo that has a tactile keyboard, but is still somewhat thin could work. I do have to say that the 750 feels pretty good in my hand. It could be a little thinner though and the battery they have now would still fit. But I really think you can't go too thin on a Treo unless you dump the touchscreen, and Treo owners seem to love those.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I think the Treo 650 is just the right size (I don't want any smaller keyboard or screen) and weight (I don't want shorter battery life).

Barring any radical new technology like fuel cell batteries, I think the size and form factor are perfect (for me).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    I think the Treo 650 is just the right size (I don't want any smaller keyboard or screen) and weight (I don't want shorter battery life).

Barring any radical new technology like fuel cell batteries, I think the size and form factor are perfect (for me).
    Agree.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    But I really think you can't go too thin on a Treo unless you dump the touchscreen, and Treo owners seem to love those.
    Look at the iPhone. As thin as a Q, with a huge touchscreen and talk time that compares with any smartphone. So it's possible-- Palm's just making excuses.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbono13 View Post
    Look at the iPhone. As thin as a Q, with a huge touchscreen and talk time that compares with any smartphone. So it's possible-- Palm's just making excuses.
    We don't really know the battery life on the iPhone yet. All we know is the hype.

But yeah they could probably shave a few millimeters off the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    We don't really know the battery life on the iPhone yet. All we know is the hype.

But yeah they could probably shave a few millimeters off the Treo.
    Agreed that we do not know the battery life on the iPhone. However, the estimate can harldy be any more over-stated than those for the Treo 680. (The 680 claim is for 300 hours standby. "Standby" for a phone usually means on, ready to detect and receive an incoming call. I have yet to get more than a day.)
  20.    #40  
    asking a question associated with the Treo's size/weight and pocketablility on TreoCentral will probably yield very skewed responses. perhaps i'll start a thread on that topic, hopefully respondants will be truthful in their answers.

regards
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast