Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I think the 320 x 320 announcement is just another sign that the Palm OS is sunk. I really like my 650 but I'm moving to the next Treo/Windows Mobile 6 device. I'd hate to be a palm application developer now. Unless those skills transfer easily to MS programing.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I've lost count. How many nails are in the Palm OS coffin now? How many more are there to go?

I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by scsanden View Post
    I think the 320 x 320 announcement is just another sign that the Palm OS is sunk. I really like my 650 but I'm moving to the next Treo/Windows Mobile 6 device. I'd hate to be a palm application developer now. Unless those skills transfer easily to MS programing.

PalmOS has been sunk, it's just a matter of what Palm will bring out to replace it. I think Palm is working on some other OS because they don't want to switch to WM only or any other OS.

I think we'll either see a new OS (this would take quite some time for Palm to do though, they'd have to release major updates to their current lineup to keep people happy), or a revamped PalmOS (more likely in my opinion, but this would mean completely changing the core of PalmOS, and possibly causing problems with backwards compatibility.)
    I believe in the 900P.
  5.    #6  
    ALP sounds great but I don't want vs. 1.0 of anything. I remeber fighting my 650 for the months until they got things worked out. I'm on windows at work and at home (probably forever). In the long run how can any mobile operating system compete with MS. They own the desktop market and a huge number of business servers?
  6.    #7  
    History is repeating itself. We've done this before. Mobile phone operating systems are going the same way as computers did. I mean it will come down to you either own an Apple device with Apple software, or you go with any other device in the world based on Windows. If you're really into technology you can go with Linux but don't expect fantastic integration with your business applications, email, etc. Microsoft owns the desktop, office applications, exchange servers, and many other servers. Microsoft takes its time but eventually gives people what they want. Look at the way they do business. It's amazing we are even discussing their operating system on a Palm device. Who would have thought?
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Mobile phone operating systems are going the same way as computers did. I mean it will come down to you either own an Apple device with Apple software, or you go with any other device in the world based on Windows.
    or you live in europe and carry on with a symbian device!
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    How long until Nokia releases a WM device?

Surur
    Never I hope! I don't like limited choices! It's just sad that the Palm OS is so stagnant.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Not just Europe. Symbian has more than two thirds of the global market!
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    How long until Nokia releases a WM device?
    For now Nokia seem to be about reducing the number of smartphone OSs they support. The E90 announced yesterday confirms the death of S80 and seems to signal that it'll be S60 all the way for Nokia smartphones for a while. I vaguely recall some rumblings about the possibility running S60 on top of Linux rather than Symbian but I don't think there's any concrete evidence for that. WM - you're kidding, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    WM - you're kidding, right?
    Not really. They have already released a Win CE navigation device, so obviously their objections are not religious. They have bought a Intellisync, and continue to support WM. They have recently released smart2go, a mapping client for Symbian and WM (plus Linux supposedly). They already license ActiveSync, Playsforsure and Windows Live Search.

At some point it will just make more sense to bundle the whole Windows Mobile package into a business phone, especially for the US market. Nokia is not as much associated with the Symbian OS as Palm was with the PalmOS, so them diversifying their smartphone OS will not be such a big deal.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post

My prediction is that the 900P will not be ALP -- but an in-house by Palm OS. I think they have had enough of not controlling the OS and the hardware. . . . .
    Not really. They have already released a Win CE navigation device, so obviously their objections are not religious. They have bought a Intellisync, and continue to support WM. They have recently released smart2go, a mapping client for Symbian and WM (plus Linux supposedly). They already license ActiveSync, Playsforsure and Windows Live Search.

At some point it will just make more sense to bundle the whole Windows Mobile package into a business phone, especially for the US market. Nokia is not as much associated with the Symbian OS as Palm was with the PalmOS, so them diversifying their smartphone OS will not be such a big deal.
    Nokia have made a big push to make S60 phones good for business. For instance for email it's not just Intellisync, but Exchange, Blackberry Connect, Good, Visto, etc. And it's not just email, it's also VPN, remote device management, a variety of security measures, etc, etc. See here:

http://europe.nokia.com/A4153001

I guess I'm saying that this is a heck of a lot of effort if they have a WM strategy up their sleeves.

In your scenario they'd have a dual strategy - S60 and WM? I just don't see them doing that because people have an expectation of what they'll get when they pick up a Nokia smartphone. Throwing in another OS would muddy the waters and have people questioning their commitment to S60. The latest Canalys data says Nokia sells well over three times as many S60 phones as all of the WM licensees put together. Do you really think they'd start messing in a way that could jeopardise that? I guess I could see a scenario where they put S60 on top of CE, but I'm finding it very hard to see them going with WM lock, stock and barrel. I could be wrong of course (I'm a total amateur at this) but Nokia today are a million miles away from where Palm were three years ago. They're the dominant player and have an OS with a future - neither of which was true of Palm when they decided to go for a dual strategy of Palm OS and WM. The only thing that gives me pause for thought is the US market. Nokia doesn't really seem fully committed to S60 in the US. If they were wouldn't they have devices which work on the US 3G frequencies by now? It's a long shot but I guess it's just possible that they could release WM devices there - I still think it would have people (globally) questioning their commitment to S60 though so I'm guessing it's improbable.

Don't get me wrong. Personally, I'd be delighted to see it, and if I were going to buy a WM device I'd be very happy for Nokia to be doing the hardware.
    People are already questioning Nokia's commitment to Symbian. There is a lot of talk of Nokia going Linux, and they of course released the N800, so they are not apposed to dual OS strategy. If you are a hardware company, why not give your customers the software they are after, instead of trying to force your solution on them?

In USA S60 is a liability. People do not buy Nokia devices for they OS in general, so they should generally feel free to use whatever they want.

I am not saying this is going to happen tomorrow, but I can see it happening in 3-5 years easily.

Surur
    Gartner and some other analysts are telling Nokia that it needs to start developing WM devices to retain competitiveness and growth.
    People are already questioning Nokia's commitment to Symbian. There is a lot of talk of Nokia going Linux
    The talk I've seen has been of them porting S60 to Linux. Moving to WM would mean making handsets completely without S60, which is a very different thing. Even the Linux talk I have seen has been uncorroborated speculation. Do you have a link or two to something more substantial?

and they of course released the N800, so they are not apposed to dual OS strategy.
    The N800 isn't a phone though and doesn't compete with S60 smartphones. Again, moving to WM would be a very different kettle of fish.

If you are a hardware company, why not give your customers the software they are after, instead of trying to force your solution on them?
    No one is forced to buy a Nokia smartphone. There are a mass of alternatives including WM devices available in all markets. I think that little if any of Nokia's dominance has to do with customers being forced use their devices.

In USA S60 is a liability. People do not buy Nokia devices for they OS in general, so they should generally feel free to use whatever they want.
    So when people don't buy S60 devices it's because they dislike the OS but when they do the OS isn't a factor? Do you have any evidence at all to support this rather strange notion?

I don't think Nokia have really tried with S60 in the US. For most Americans it's not even on the radar because only a few, very limited, devices have been released. If the E62 had been a 3G, Wifi device like the E61 we might have had some idea how a decent S60 device would fair in the US.

I am not saying this is going to happen tomorrow, but I can see it happening in 3-5 years easily.
    Again, my main reason for suspecting it won't is that it would raise questions about Nokia's commitment to S60 and potentially undermine the (market dominating) sales they have in much of the rest of world.
    Yeah know, for all their size, MS really hasn't been that dominant outside the PC market, where they got the early monopoly benefit. Their hold on the server market has been slipping for years and while they've poured dollars into game consoles and handhelds to be competitive, they're nowhere close to dominant. Palm OS has already morphed to a linux based OS with an emulator layer. It will live on, and I, for one, do not see Palm rushing to sell only Windows Mobile handsets, particularly with a huge base of existing users that would be plenty ticked at that move.

JMHO

Gargoyle
  19.    #20  
    In the US, which is what I really meant originally rather than the world, the carriers pretty much run the show.

Anyways for what it's worth I really enjoy using the palm apps and os on my 650.

I just don't like the idea of using emulation. I don't know that much about it but it doesn't sound good. The old Palm apps aren't going away real soon but I think MS has some really strong momentum going and windows mobile will end up being the mobile OS for the masses.
    Last edited by scsanden; 02/13/2007 at 03:17 PM. Reason: More thoughts
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast