Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I'd say it means versamail is finished. done.

chattermail, or something very similar will replace it, except it will be give a new name... ie. palm mail, etc.

I think marc's presence at palm will open up new ways to integrate email to the palm os, whichever that will be.

he may even be given the responsibility of developing the new linux os as well as alternative email services. time will tell.

in any case, it will be refreshing to see versamail gone. I lost my email accounts numerous times to its instability.

Palm needs something stable if they intend to call a treo or foleo a reliable phone/email machine.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Hmmm I guess... but I doubt we'll be reaping those benefits anytime soon, it's gonna take a while for Palm to get their Linux thing together, especially if there's going to be backwards compatibility. I'm not a heavy versamail user (I don't get enough emails to use it frequently), so I can't comment on it's instability, although I'll say that it's never caused any resets for me. This is with one exchange account though, no POP or IMAP acounts.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Apple has been making small but steady inroads into the PC world. I know at least ten individuals who have switched to iMacs and MacBooks and are EXTREMELY pleased. Last year, I helped oversee the purchase of several dozen new iMacs for our local school district. Half of those were replacements for HP's. Based on nothing more than informal chats in airports and on longer flights, I have come to believe that a whole lot of professionals would prefer to have operating systems other than PocketPC as long as they would still be able to sync them with their offices and homes. On of my best friends is a pediatricians. He has always used a Palm device to access information regarding drug interactions, various insurance carrier corollaries, etc. His brief experience with a Windows CE device was a source of intense aggravation.

The Foleo isn't much to write home about, but I expect that we will all learn that work on a much more robust Palm OS is already underway.

Quote Originally Posted by gargoylejps View Post
    Yeah know, for all their size, MS really hasn't been that dominant outside the PC market, where they got the early monopoly benefit. Their hold on the server market has been slipping for years and while they've poured dollars into game consoles and handhelds to be competitive, they're nowhere close to dominant. Palm OS has already morphed to a linux based OS with an emulator layer. It will live on, and I, for one, do not see Palm rushing to sell only Windows Mobile handsets, particularly with a huge base of existing users that would be plenty ticked at that move.

JMHO

Gargoyle
    You know the latest information we have is that Palm WM has gone from 0% to 50% in about 18 months. Ed expects this trend to continue.

Surur
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I think that vw2002's remark about Versa Mail is 100% correct as far as some serious updating being overdue. However, I have never lost a single email while using that program.

The fact that Palm is increasing it's profile in the Windows worlds makes perfect sense. After all, Microsoft is the big dog in the world of business software. That reality doesn't alter the potential viability of, or interest in other platforms. It will be interesting to see what fresh ideas the new team spearhead at Palm. I would be very disappointed ( and surprised ) if the fruit of their labors was just more Windows hand held same old same old.
    I tend to agree. I don't think they have buy themselve enough time to transfer to Linux. At this day and age, a closed Linux environment (see Motorola Ming) simply can't survive.

Maybe a cross-company and cross-carrier initiative will revive the Linux platform but what Palm is doing is not enough.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    From a purely selfish point of view I'd love to see a Palm/ TMO joint venture. I have been seriously underwhelmed by the HotSpot program. There are still too few places that participate to make it worth the extra $10. In some airports, the Starbucks don't even offer HotSpot forcing you to either fork over money for a few hours of the airport's internet access ( which I refuse to do ) or you can just hope that the area gets a solid TMO data signal.

As things stand right now, TMO is so lacking when it comes to Mac compatibility that I could imagine that they either just don't care about that particular market or they might have something up their sleeves. Wishful thinking I suppose .....
    Quote Originally Posted by ikondave View Post
    From a purely selfish point of view I'd love to see a Palm/ TMO joint venture. I have been seriously underwhelmed by the HotSpot program. There are still too few places that participate to make it worth the extra $10. In some airports, the Starbucks don't even offer HotSpot forcing you to either fork over money for a few hours of the airport's internet access ( which I refuse to do ) or you can just hope that the area gets a solid TMO data signal.

As things stand right now, TMO is so lacking when it comes to Mac compatibility that I could imagine that they either just don't care about that particular market or they might have something up their sleeves. Wishful thinking I suppose .....

if you have high speed internet with sbc you get the roaming (wifi) in MacDonalds for free (otherwise they would bill you 1.99 a month.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Most people don't care about Windows Mobile, Palm OS, or Symbain S60.

Its about what comes on the device, and what it looks like. If Nokia released something in a Nokia e62i form factor with no UMTS, 1.3MP camera, threaded TXT messaging, etc. I think it would sell like wild fire if advertised right. So many people don't know about the Treo's ability to do threaded TXT and they freak out on me when I tell them its TXT not AIM.

So many other companies could be doing this, but they can't grasp the concept. Apple did, everyone is talking about "iChat" on the iPhone. Im rooting for Nokia and Palm!
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I like Palm's approach to solve real user problems and help my life easier. Apple on the other hand relies on putting cool ideas together to make things cooler, but they do not think about how to solve people's computing problems. That is exactly the attitude in the PC vs. Mac ad.

Palm replaced paper organizer completely. It was not because they want to make a small cool looiing device. They put funtion above apperance. Same kind of logic behind Foleo. The more I learn about it the more I like the Foleo idea (except the price).

So I hope Palm stays in the phone business. As long as they put usability above just being thin, have cool color, I am with them. iPhone will no doubt continue to be the cool kid on the block, but how big a market is can capture is questionable.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    I like Palm's approach to solve real user problems and help my life easier. Apple on the other hand relies on putting cool ideas together to make things cooler, but they do not think about how to solve people's computing problems. That is exactly the attitude in the PC vs. Mac ad.

Palm replaced paper organizer completely. It was not because they want to make a small cool looiing device. They put funtion above apperance. Same kind of logic behind Foleo. The more I learn about it the more I like the Foleo idea (except the price).

So I hope Palm stays in the phone business. As long as they put usability above just being thin, have cool color, I am with them. iPhone will no doubt continue to be the cool kid on the block, but how big a market is can capture is questionable.
    I'd say MSFT is a better comparison than palm. MSFT puts specs ahead of function and appearance. Apple the opposite. Palm doesnt really focus on style so far (altho a lot of people are starting to thanks to apple), but I'd put palm somewhere in the middle of MSFT and APPL
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123