Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    The talk I've seen has been of them porting S60 to Linux. Moving to WM would mean making handsets completely without S60, which is a very different thing. Even the Linux talk I have seen has been uncorroborated speculation. Do you have a link or two to something more substantial?


    The N800 isn't a phone though and doesn't compete with S60 smartphones. Again, moving to WM would be a very different kettle of fish.



    No one is forced to buy a Nokia smartphone. There are a mass of alternatives including WM devices available in all markets. I think that little if any of Nokia's dominance has to do with customers being forced use their devices.


    So when people don't buy S60 devices it's because they dislike the OS but when they do the OS isn't a factor? Do you have any evidence at all to support this rather strange notion?

    I don't think Nokia have really tried with S60 in the US. For most Americans it's not even on the radar because only a few, very limited, devices have been released. If the E62 had been a 3G, Wifi device like the E61 we might have had some idea how a decent S60 device would fair in the US.


    Again, my main reason for suspecting it won't is that it would raise questions about Nokia's commitment to S60 and potentially undermine the (market dominating) sales they have in much of the rest of world.
    I wont try and refute your argument point by point, as mine obviously has a lot of holes, but again I would not be surprised, with the foundation out there already, if they did release something.

    Surur
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I wont try and refute your argument point by point, as mine obviously has a lot of holes
    Hey, it's not like mine's watertight, not least because I don't really have an explanation of why Nokia is so apparently disinterested in the US. I did just read this though:

    http://www.ringnokia.com/2007/02/nokia_and_the_u.html

    which makes a couple of interesting points. Especially this on why Nokia hasn't made any US 3G phones:

    Simple. There is only one company right now who makes a triband 3G chip: Qualcomm. Nokia is to Qualcomm what Shiite's are to Sunni's right about now. The legal dispute is going to be down right dirty. Is it hurting Nokia's product offering? Absolutely! I for one am disappointed that 3G in the E90 doesn't work around the world. Not to mention the 3G in my Nokia E61 and N93 are useless where I live.
  3. #23  
    Yeah know, for all their size, MS really hasn't been that dominant outside the PC market, where they got the early monopoly benefit. Their hold on the server market has been slipping for years and while they've poured dollars into game consoles and handhelds to be competitive, they're nowhere close to dominant. Palm OS has already morphed to a linux based OS with an emulator layer. It will live on, and I, for one, do not see Palm rushing to sell only Windows Mobile handsets, particularly with a huge base of existing users that would be plenty ticked at that move.
    If Apple would of allowed outside architecture of its software 25 years ago MS would of never got that monopoly. I can't believe they are making the same mistake with the iphone as well. I agree Palm will never use the Access ALP. It is going to make its own Linux based OS matter of fact it is probably already underway. It will be a sad day for me if Palm OS goes down. I can't stand WM and I will regrettably go to Blackberry or just keep the treo 700 until it doesn' work anymore.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoylejps View Post
    Yeah know, for all their size, MS really hasn't been that dominant outside the PC market, where they got the early monopoly benefit. Their hold on the server market has been slipping for years and while they've poured dollars into game consoles and handhelds to be competitive, they're nowhere close to dominant.
    Last I checked, Microsoft sells BILLIONS of dollars worth of software. No one is even close. They have also sold over 10 million xbox 360s in a very competetive market (just ask sony about the PS3).

    I guess Bill Gates knows what he doing since his company has become one of the most profitable in the world, and he has become the richest man in the world.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Last I checked, Microsoft sells BILLIONS of dollars worth of software. No one is even close. They have also sold over 10 million xbox 360s in a very competetive market (just ask sony about the PS3).
    But they are not dominant (yet?). Look how PS2 dominated the last generation, Microsoft has yet to achieve that kind of dominance outside of anything computer related. If you take away MS's success in the PC market, what else do they have going for them? Zune is ok, but not going to kill the iPod anytime soon, Xbox was a great system, but still didn't come close to dominating, and the 360's sold a lot, but it's been out a year longer. Who knows if Nintendo and Sony (especially Nintendo with their lower price and wider audience) won't soon catch up?
    [/QUOTE]
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    If you take away MS's success in the PC market, what else do they have going for them?
    I guess I can say the same thing for Exxon if I took away their oil sales. Why dont you consider the billions of dollars of sales that happen to be in their core segment? Also, 10 million xbox 360s sold is very impressive. You dont have to dominate every field to be successful (ask apple).
  7. #27  
    1 character
    Last edited by Scrufboy; 02/22/2007 at 04:32 PM. Reason: deleted cuz I was a dufus
  8. #28  
    The 680 and 700p both are 320x320. All Treo WM are hardware limited to 240x240. Future WM6 Treos will likely not have that hardware limitation.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  9. doc31's Avatar
    Posts
    707 Posts
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    #29  
    OK, I'm not a programmer of anything like that but correct me, because I guess I'm confused.
    The res is controlled by the software not hardware or let’s say a co-op of the both . WM 5 simply can't support the res of 240x240 due to OS coding. It wasn't wrote to handle it they opted not to include it.
  10. #30  
    Not quite. If you put WM5 in am emulator it will run in any resolution you specify. Resolutions are fixed, not due to limitations in the OS, but due to the need to standardize. Many software use hard coded graphics and buttons, skins etc, and not having a fixed number of screen resolutions make life difficult for them programmers.

    Having said all of that, the OS is not designed to auto-detect a resolution like Windows XP, so just plugging in a higher resolution LCD wont do anything. But if you were building the OS image yourself, from scratch, you could easily specify which resolution it should use.

    Surur
  11. #31  
    Also, WM5 supports both 240x240 and 480x480.
  12.    #32  
    Another nail just to make sure the coffin doesn't come open. Marc is no longer developing or supporting (for new users) the exchange plugin for Chatter! Fusemail seems to be having problems grabbing my personal hotmail (had the account forever) on any regular basis like it used to.

    I'm going to switch to a Mobile 6 device A.S.A.P. I gonna miss the old days again.
  13. #33  
    At least on a WM6 device you can look forward to push hotmail.

    Surur
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    At least on a WM6 device you can look forward to push hotmail.

    Surur
    And of course, my Exchange account with calendar and TASKS right?
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by scsanden View Post
    And of course, my Exchange account with calendar and TASKS right?
    Of course

    Surur
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by scsanden View Post
    Another nail just to make sure the coffin doesn't come open. Marc is no longer developing or supporting (for new users) the exchange plugin for Chatter! Fusemail seems to be having problems grabbing my personal hotmail (had the account forever) on any regular basis like it used to.

    I'm going to switch to a Mobile 6 device A.S.A.P. I gonna miss the old days again.
    Marc is now working for Palm so how could this be a nail?
  17. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #37  
    what type of nails are we using? copper, steel, or wood?
    I gotta have more cowbell
  18. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #38  
    hell, I say we use some tungsten nails... or cobalt.... either will do.
    and we'll drive 'em in for life...
    I gotta have more cowbell
  19. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #39  
    and we'll have the inscriptions done in garnet.... that should do the trick...
    I gotta have more cowbell
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    Marc is now working for Palm so how could this be a nail?
    Well, to the end user, what exactly does Marc working for Palm mean? What major changes will we see now that Marc is with Palm?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions