Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    WM6 is all the rage today, but another OS also got released. ALP has a SDK and Product Development Kit released today. In their press release there is an interesting little tidbit.

Hardware Requirements
    Performance
    200 MHz ARM 9 minimum; 400 MHz ARM 9 or greater recommended
    Display
    240 x 320 display - QVGA (optimized for the platform)
    320 x 480 display - HVGA
    800 x 480 display - Widescreen (maximum)
    65k color support (minimum)
    256k color support (maximum)
    No mention of 320x320, and no square screen resolutions at all. Is this the final nail in the coffin of ALP on Treo's?
    http://www.access-company.com/products/linux/alp.html

Surur
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Like I mentioned in another thread, I've lost count how many nails are now in the Palm OS coffin to date. Does anyone know how many more nails there are to go before this coffin is air tight?

I gotta have more cowbell
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    WM6 is all the rage today, but another OS also got released. ALP has a SDK and Product Development Kit released today. In their press release there is an interesting little tidbit.

No mention of 320x320, and no square screen resolutions at all. Is this the final nail in the coffin of ALP on Treo's?
    http://www.access-company.com/products/linux/alp.html

Surur
    Maybe it means that Treos using ALP uses a different screen than Treos on Palm OS? This might be with or without a different device design, like smaller screen, for a smaller device, or a taller screen/smaller keyboard or a slider/flip, who knows? to quote a phone companys commercial: The future is bright, the future is Orange My future for the time being is Copper though i just got my 680 today, and i dont think that i'm gonna change it for at least another year.
  4.    #4  
    Surely it underlines the PalmOS II rumours (Palm making its own Linux PalmOS?)

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    ...Is this the final nail in the coffin of ALP on Treo's?..
    Maybe the linux for Treo will originate from Palm, not Access.
    whatever the case is, whichever the "new" POS is, it better be backward compatible without ANY hiccups. Otherwise this I think would be the final nail in the provibial coffin. The final of the final of the splinter of the final.

ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    whatever the case is, whichever the "new" POS is, it better be backward compatible without ANY hiccups.
    That's not possible. Every system has its hiccups with backwards compatibility. I can only imagine how much worse they'd be with PalmOS and whatever new OS Palm is working on.
    A year late and a million dollars short: Palm already took their ball and went home. (Here's hoping that they have some plan for it.) Access has exactly zero licensees in the US and European markets. Who, precisely, is going to ship an "ALPhone" now?

(Also: note that while the "Product Development Toolkit" is "1.0", the SDK itself is still "prerelease". This parrot, it is dead.)
    I'll tune in around 2008 when devices running this OS are released. If it's just a clone of Palm OS with no major GUI enhancements, count me out.
    Well, it looks like they are still kicking, at least they are in Barcelona.
    Nice find Surur!
    Is it even coming out? That may be a bigger worry.
    It's been clear to me that Palm has no interest in ALP for a long time. I think the screen resolutions only add to this impression.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    Like I mentioned in another thread, I've lost count how many nails are now in the Palm OS coffin to date. Does anyone know how many more nails there are to go before this coffin is air tight?

Dunno about the nails, but there sure(ure) are a lot of nail guns out there, all firing madly in the air.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    It's been clear to me that Palm has no interest in ALP for a long time. I think the screen resolutions only add to this impression.
    Have to agree. I'd be somewhat surprised to see Palm take up the mantle of ALP.
    Why do you all insist that the Treo will remain 320x320? 480x320 would be well suited, just some adjustments to length or hard key configuration.
  16.    #16  
    Palm's not exactly known for changing their form factors much, are they?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by ion++ View Post
    ..... My future for the time being is Copper though i just got my 680 today, and i dont think that i'm gonna change it for at least another year.
    Don't give away your 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    whatever the case is, whichever the "new" POS is, it better be backward compatible without ANY hiccups. Otherwise this I think would be the final nail in the provibial coffin. The final of the final of the splinter of the final.

I do not understand this assertion. Palm OS versions are, at best, coincidentally backwards compatible. The world is littered with orphan POS apps.
    Last edited by whmurray; 02/13/2007 at 04:48 PM.
    Honestly, it makes minimal business sense for Palm to pursue its own OS strategy. First, that puts them in direct competition with Microsoft, with whom they want to keep a decent relationship, but whom they also do not want to be entirely beholden. Secondly, Palm wants the OS on as many devices as possible. As they saw when they owned the OS, it's hard to sell other hardware firms on the idea they'll be treated fairly when you're pushing the OS and selling your own hardware.

I think you'll see some kind of Palm modified Garnett on lower-end devices for the next 2-3 years as they transition, starting with a new high end model, running ALP which will probably come out the end of this year, or first part of next. Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but just do not see the benefit of Palm running off with their own OS and lots of problems with the strategy.

Gargoyle
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoylejps View Post
    starting with a new high end model, running ALP which will probably come out the end of this year, or first part of next.
    Well, it wont be any earlier than that.

ALP, the Access Linux Platform, was announced last year and started to go out to equipment manufacturers in late 2006, ACCESS spokeswoman Maureen O'Connell said. At the show today, company representatives said the platform had been released freely to developers and OEMs but that it could still be "12-18 months" before phones appear on retail shelves, ACCESS senior vice president Didier Diaz added.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20070213/tc_zd/201021

Surur
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast