Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Responsibilities will include design, implementation, and optimization of Location Based Service (LBS) SW for our Windows Mobile, Palm OS, and Linux based smart phones.
    Seems pretty unambiguous. Do you have a link?
    http://www.palm.com/us/company/jobs/

Search for linux. There are a couple jobs listed for senior telephony engineer.
    Thanks. Found it.

Certainly the most solid evidence I've seen that Palm are working on a Linux smartphone. I think we have to regard it as confirmed now.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    Thanks. Found it.

Certainly the most solid evidence I've seen that Palm are working on a Linux smartphone. I think we have to regard it as confirmed now.
    What one has to wonder is to what extent any such OS will preserve the POS API and UI? If, as have so many changes to POS in the past, it orphans all of our applications, it leaves most of us in the same place as the change to WM. It leaves us without a viable upgrade path.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    What one has to wonder is to what extent any such OS will preserve the POS API and UI? If, as have so many changes to POS in the past, it orphans all of our applications, it leaves most of us in the same place as the change to WM. It leaves us without a viable upgrade path.
    Who knows?

Perhaps someone with more technical background than me (i.e. any technical background) could chime in, but given that we've seen no SDK yet I think we might conclude that:

1) There will be broad compatibility with existing 3rd-party apps, or

2) It won't appear for ages and ages, or

3) They'll release it to market with few (if any) 3rd-party apps available, or

4) It'll be closed like the iPhone version of OS X (3rd-party apps by invitation only).

Possibly some combination of the above.
    It definitely stays that Palm will have Linux based phone. I agree with that. It stills has yet to be whether it is their Linux or someone else's, say Access. Remember that a Linux developer could also be writing Linux apps as opposed to an OS. But given my already stated lack of respect for Access, I would also speculate that it would be to write an OS would be more likely.

Great catch on the job rec. Don't know how it occured to you to search but it was pretty brilliant. We would could take it one step further though. Anyone care to apply for the position, go to the interview and find out what the job entails?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    It definitely stays that Palm will have Linux based phone. I agree with that. It stills has yet to be whether it is their Linux or someone else's, say Access. Remember that a Linux developer could also be writing Linux apps as opposed to an OS.
    This is from the job add:

Duties/Responsibilities:

Responsibilities will include design, implementation, and optimization of telephony libraries for our Windows Mobile, Plam OS, and Linux based smart phones. The telephony library will work with different radios - CDAM, UMTS, WIFI - to provide users access to all kinds of telephony services.
    Sounds pretty OS-y to me (with my limited knowledge) - although as the libraries seem to be something added to WM too I guess you could be right.

We would could take it one step further though. Anyone care to apply for the position, go to the interview and find out what the job entails?
    You offering?
    Great catch on the job rec. Don't know how it occured to you to search but it was pretty brilliant.
    ballistic deserves credit. He posted it in another thread.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123