Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Well, it wont be any earlier than that.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20070213/tc_zd/201021

Surur
    I think that something is broken. What you are saying is that Palm 2010 is going to look pretty much like Handspring.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Palm's not exactly known for changing their form factors much, are they?

Surur
    Sure.. The 180, 270, and 300 were all flips. 600, 650, 700, etc, are all basically the same form factor. Adjusting things a little to make more room for a screen is a reasonable next move.

I wouldn't want to see it get more narrow, as that'd reduce typing speed, but I can see the earpiece get smaller and the hard keys smaller perhaps..

Or.... maybe a slider. I'm not that hot on 'em, especially typing on the skinny little bottom with a heavy top end, but it'd work. Just hope it's not a side slider or a long clam flip, those require too much repositioning.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Old Palm OS apps would run under the Garnet VM. I would expect as part of the configuration for the VM you'd be able to set a screen (ie window) size to match the requirements of the application being run - whether it be 160x160, 320x320 or whatever.

Personally I don't think Palm themselves will be using ALP. Now they have the rights to Garnet, all they've said is they'll maintain some compatibility between their implementation and the Access Garnet VM. But I'm sure Palm will employ similar techniques as ALP in whatever OS they come up with.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I honestly don't think that Palm will ever come up with another OS, once the WM devices hit a certain amount of their sales, I think they will go hardware only.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Don't give away your 650.
    heh, i wont before i am satisfied with my 680. Besides i need a backup device if something happens to my 680.
    Palm is going to write their own OS. They bought the rights to Garnet to fix things that weren't getting fixed. They also bought it so that they can keep the interface and rebuild it from the ground up. There's absolutely no way they would've paid all that money for Garnet just to dump more on ALPO in a few years. Especially when they had to have lost all faith in Access for the shoddy work they've done keeping Garnet up to date and taking forever and a week in getting ALPO out. I doubt that Access will even be afloat when Palm is ready to move off Access. I also would not even assume that Palm will put a Linux base layer under the new OS. Especially if they have no plans to license it.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    Palm is going to write their own OS. They bought the rights to Garnet to fix things that weren't getting fixed. They also bought it so that they can keep the interface and rebuild it from the ground up. There's absolutely no way they would've paid all that money for Garnet just to dump more on ALPO in a few years. Especially when they had to have lost all faith in Access for the shoddy work they've done keeping Garnet up to date and taking forever and a week in getting ALPO out. I doubt that Access will even be afloat when Palm is ready to move off Access. I also would not even assume that Palm will put a Linux base layer under the new OS. Especially if they have no plans to license it.
    Are you as blind as the rest of us, or do you know something that we do not?
    Even the datebook in POS is not written by Palm, not to mention pTunes and Blazer. Why would Palm has the resource to write an OS?
    I also would not even assume that Palm will put a Linux base layer under the new OS. Especially if they have no plans to license it.
    From Palm's job description for Senior Telephony SW Engineer:

Responsibilities will include design, implementation, and optimization of Location Based Service (LBS) SW for our Windows Mobile, Palm OS, and Linux based smart phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post

Responsibilities will include design, implementation, and optimization of Location Based Service (LBS) SW for our Windows Mobile, Palm OS, and Linux based smart phones.
    And your point is?
    Yes.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Even the datebook in POS is not written by Palm, not to mention pTunes and Blazer. Why would Palm has the resource to write an OS?
    They could have hired people (or consultants) for writing the new OS? and didnt they write Palm OS before? Refitting Linux for use in devices should not be as hard as rewritting a new OS from scratch. So i think it is possible that Palm can handle making a new OS.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post

And your point is?
    Probably that Palm here admitted that they will make a Linux based smartphone.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Did I miss a news brief where Ed Colligan spelled total conviction in ALP? Because so far I don't see the conviction from him or anyone else from Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by ion++ View Post
    They could have hired people (or consultants) for writing the new OS? and didnt they write Palm OS before? Refitting Linux for use in devices should not be as hard as rewritting a new OS from scratch. So i think it is possible that Palm can handle making a new OS.
    The issue is who is "they." Palm fired or sold all of "they." They thought that they were a h/w company and that h/w would sell itself. Now they are trying to re-build. I can tell you from first hand experience that building a development capability requires more than simply hiring talented people.

Incidentally, if Palm really is a hardware company, then we are all at the mercy of Microsoft. I do not know about you but I do not have enough time left to learn a new OS and suite of applications. Perhaps I do not even have enough time to find, install and configure them.
    Last edited by whmurray; 02/15/2007 at 10:14 AM.
    I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. I agree with the poster you were replying to that:

1.) Palm is working to write their own OS. Whether they succeed or not is another question, but they are clearly hiring the developers as well as getting the rights from Access.
    2.) I also believe Access is toast at least in the U.S. It's possible that they could sell a Linux OS to some Chinese phone makers, but I can't see anyone else using their OS.

Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    That satement says that they will develop SOFTWARE for smartphones based on Palm, Linux and Windows Mobile. They certainly did not write WM which means they are not necessarily stating that they are going to write a Linux OS. Just that they are open to the idea of building apps on top of such a based phone. Maybe they will have an ALPO version but not necessarily. I also really think that there is too much OS competition in the smartphone market for Access. You got Blackberry, WM, Garnet and now Apple. Would anyone bet me against Apple having their iPhone out before there is an ALPO based phone? Anyone?

Access has been as lost as Cobalt since Palm spun them off. Would you risk your corporation on them?

I'm just putting 2+2+2 together. Palm's termination of their relationship with Access due to missed commitments, plus their purchase of Garnet, plus their statement of throwing substantial more resources into software development adds up to a new OS in my estimation. Whether it is Linux based is anyone's guess but does anyone not think that seemed to be more of an Access decision than Palm's?

I think Palm's goal is just to have a more stable and updatible Palm-like OS in the quickest time possible. And just in case it doesn't get done they can rely on WM.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    That satement says that they will develop SOFTWARE for smartphones based on Palm, Linux and Windows Mobile. They certainly did not write WM which means they are not necessarily stating that they are going to write a Linux OS. Just that they are open to the idea of building apps on top of such a based phone. Maybe they will have an ALPO version but not necessarily. I also really think that there is too much OS competition in the smartphone market for Access. You got Blackberry, WM, Garnet and now Apple. Would anyone bet me against Apple having their iPhone out before there is an ALPO based phone? Anyone?

Access has been as lost as Cobalt since Palm spun them off. Would you risk your corporation on them?

I'm just putting 2+2+2 together. Palm's termination of their relationship with Access due to missed commitments, plus their purchase of Garnet, plus their statement of throwing substantial more resources into software development adds up to a new OS in my estimation. Whether it is Linux based is anyone's guess but does anyone not think that seemed to be more of an Access decision than Palm's?

I think Palm's goal is just to have a more stable and updatible Palm-like OS in the quickest time possible. And just in case it doesn't get done they can rely on WM.
    I certainly hope you are right. I am in to my third year on my GSM/POS/650 and see no way forward to 3G. However, the capability to build an operating system involves a lot more than hiring talented people. Palm simply does not show the necessary leadership. The road to hell is paved with Palm's intentions.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. .........
    I do not want to get into a debate here. However, I recognize that my post might have been so terse as to invite misunderstanding.

I was trying to find out whether those very strong predictive assertions were based only upon information available to the rest of us or whether the poster was making use of information not generally available. While I might reach similar conclusions, I have not. While I might make similar speculations, they would be no more than my qualified opinion. I cannot know how to take those assertions without understanding whether or not the person making them has special qualifications that I do not possess.

As I see it, we are working from the same book; one of has faith while the other has naught but faint hope.
    That satement says that they will develop SOFTWARE for smartphones based on Palm, Linux and Windows Mobile. They certainly did not write WM which means they are not necessarily stating that they are going to write a Linux OS. Just that they are open to the idea of building apps on top of such a based phone. Maybe they will have an ALPO version but not necessarily.
    The statement says that they're building a Linux-based smartphone.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast