1.    #1  
    say it ain't so
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02...s_really_dead/

Although I’m no admirer of the choice Palm took in not allowing Treos to Use Wi-Fi I am rather fond of the OS.
    Say what you will but based on the number of applications written for it and its small memory footprint I can’t help but love it.
    It always amazes me how when you even mention Palm vs any other phone whether it be a Windows based OS or the Apple i-Phone how it always ends up in the middle of a heated debate. What’s even more idiotic is the fact that most the arguments defending Apple's phone are baseless because the simple fact is, nobody owns an i-Phone.

That said I don’t want to start another Treo vs i-Phone debate I was just trying to point out the fact that although Palm’s Os could use some improvements I don’t see why Its an OS worth putting to rest. Most the things we desire are already here in the form of independent developers applications & again, the only thing missing is Wi-Fi.
    Last edited by Bronxboy; 02/11/2007 at 11:12 AM.
    How could it be dead if we are still using it?
    dying, yes, lingering on for dear life I would say
    Every issue has two sides -- I do not see the PalmOS as dead. From the sheer standpoint that it is too big a franchise to allow to die. If the PalmOS is a dead OS, how is it that any 700Ps have been sold? The 700w came out first. Yes, the 700w was memory challenged -- but the 700wx is out now and the 700P is still here.

I believe we will see the Palm/Linux OS this year. (The vitality of that release will determine if the PalmOS is dead.) Palm cannot let it's shareholders down by walking away from such a passionate consumer base and third party software providing industry. I have faith, that there will be this incarnation of the PalmOS and that it will have vitality. This day has been coming since the moment Palm decided that Cobalt was dead. So yes, Cobalt died -- but not the PalmOS.

(One view from the PPR.)
    There are some sites that loudly and often proclaim Palm is Dead; your link is one of them. It's just a variant of Windows vs. Mac, Republican vs. Democrat, etc.
    Millions of people still use it to schedule their lives so I can't understand why some people think it's going away. Granted its a bit old and Palm is slow to revamp it, but with thousands of programs out there and more coming out each week I hardly think things are going to grind to a screaching halt anytime soon. I have been using Palms for awhile (back to the Palm pro model) and love their ease of use. I've owned PPC devices before and like them but have always come back to Palm. Why? Because its easy to use and it works......

I've read articles written about the death of Palm before and think their written for no other reason but to create a buzz or controversey. Saying that, and trying not to beat a dead horse, Palm must keep inovating. In the technology business if you don't innovate, you die. Its as simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearballz View Post
    I've read articles written about the death of Palm before and think their written for no other reason but to create a buzz or controversey.
    I believe this article was about the failure of their previous "PalmOS is dead" article to generate any of the buzz. They are basically saying they poked the corpse, and nothing moved.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by bearballz View Post
    Millions of people still use it to schedule their lives so I can't understand why some people think it's going away. Granted its a bit old and Palm is slow to revamp it, but with thousands of programs out there and more coming out each week I hardly think things are going to grind to a screaching halt anytime soon. I have been using Palms for awhile (back to the Palm pro model) and love their ease of use. I've owned PPC devices before and like them but have always come back to Palm. Why? Because its easy to use and it works......

I've read articles written about the death of Palm before and think their written for no other reason but to create a buzz or controversey. Saying that, and trying not to beat a dead horse, Palm must keep inovating. In the technology business if you don't innovate, you die. Its as simple as that.
    People keep thinking that because Palm hasn't done anything new with it in how many years? Plus they dumped it off. Now they have it back, so if they intend to revive it, they better do it soon! WM is edging ahead, it's had several updates since Garnet was first introduced.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Doing it better then WM time will tell but it wont be garnet.The Palm Sherlock will be a big deal for palm.it,s the future of the company.
    linux it will be.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The Palm Sherlock will be a big deal for palm.it,s the future of the company.
    linux it will be.
    I think that's fantasy - this is a device that is suppose to be out in July - there is virtually no doubt in my mind, it's just more of the same.
    It won't be dead until a large percentage of developers abandon it for the "next great thing". And since Palm won't give a straight answer on when that will be, or even what it will be, I'd have to say that no, the Palm OS is not dead.

Just because people still use it you can't say it's alive. I have a hard drive for an IBM ThinkPad loaded with BeOS. Works great. But BeOS, regardless of my love and devotion, is deader than a door nail. If it isn't growing then it's dead. That's my definition anyway.
    With all due respect to Mark Twain, "The reports of Palm OS' death are greatly exaggerated." However, I would agree it is on life support or perhaps 200 lbs overweight with high blood pressure.
    "I have no idea what you just said, so here is a bunny with a pancake on its head."
    I hope they change the name "Sherlock" to something else or we'll be gone for sure.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    One things for sure, if it changes much at all we'll be paying for our third party apps all over again. It's becuase the OS hasn't changed much at all...ever...that we can still run apps that would run on the original Pilot! However, it's in dire need of an upgrade and have a lot of catching up to do with everybody else. Until the iPhone came along, I really had no intention of leaving the Palm OS, I don't really consider Windows Mobile an option.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    for many (not us nut cases on this board), windows is all they know and when faced with a choice will choose a device with what they are familiar with. allegiance and 3rd party software is what Palm has going for it but not much else.

that's how i see it.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    The name sherlock may be replaced with grimlock if this device turns out to be less than revolutionary.

Palm's future does largely depend on the success of this singular product.
    I gotta have more cowbell