Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Finally, Windows Mobile 6 cures the hideous affliction that has scarred the Palm Treo 700w: it now supports more screen resolutions including 320x320 and 800x480. Hopefully, we will never have to see a 240x240 screen device again.—
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2092475,00.asp

Who says MS does not listen? Toshiba already showed the first 800x480 device at 3GSM. Does Palm have a 320x320 crossbow device up its sleeve?

Surur
    Only time will tell!! Remember, it's PALM we're talking about. But hopefully no more 240 from any manufacturer, including HP!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2092475,00.asp

Who says MS does not listen? Toshiba already showed the first 800x480 device at 3GSM. Does Palm have a 320x320 crossbow device up its sleeve?

Surur
    mmm a 320x320 Treo with Wifi and Crossbow. Just make me all tingly inside!
    I wonder if the 320x320 driver could be moved over to WM5?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    I wonder if the 320x320 driver could be moved over to WM5?
    .... and then flash a 700p with WM5.....

Surur
    320X320 crossbow...I will most likely convert if and when it does come out on the next Palm device. Until then I will keep my 700P.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I have to say that the 240x240 resolution of the current generation of devices has definitely been a big factor in my not going WM. (Of course, there's also the hideous interface, but I won't go there).

Interesting how so many pipe in with "I don't even notice the 240x240 resolution" then start the cheerleading when 360x360 becomes possible.

Actually this is, in an ironic way, not good news. I was kinda hoping for a 480x480 device to appear in order to compete with PalmOS Treos. I guess we're not going to see that happen now.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Hot damn! Looking good for the windows platform now.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    .... and then flash a 700p with WM5.....

Surur

HAA!!!! That is exactly what I was thinking! I wonder how long it will take haxor out there to flash a 700p with WM6? (Is shadowmite still around?)

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    don't get your hopes up. the 32MB sdram chip will make it a high res 700w... no one wants that no matter how pretty the screen looks.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Interesting how so many pipe in with "I don't even notice the 240x240 resolution" then start the cheerleading when 360x360 becomes possible.
    Its more for the benefit of the hold-outs I think. The ones who have jumped ship already seems generally OK with it.

Surur
    Any increase is better of course. Some people might not need 96mbRAM, but its still nice to have the extra available. I would like to see 480x480 devices, but then we have the problem of battery life and cost. So until those two issues are tackled, 320x320 should be good. My only concern is 3rd party software and how long it'll take for developers to make it compatible...
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    My only concern is 3rd party software and how long it'll take for developers to make it compatible...
    Based on experience, about 4-6 months with most popular apps.
    At last! Good news indeed. However, with the announcement of this Toshiba G900, I have to agree and say even 320x320 is getting old. I am also looking forward to a 480x480 screen. Hopefully, Palm will understand that 320 screens are not the future and at least a 480 will keep them on top.
  15.    #15  
    I expect more text will show up on a 320x320 screen than a 480x480 screen, because a 480x480 would use pixel doubling, while a 320x320 will probably not.

Surur
    320x480 would be good. Enhance the landscape (side-ways) images and more lines of text on the portrait screen
    I'm sort of getting exccited for WM6, getting glad I haven't picked up my 700wx yet.

Check this article, and notice this phrase especially- "Scores of additional mobile operators and device makers from around the globe, including Cingular Wireless, now the new AT&T, Chunghwa Telecom, Dopod International Corp., HP, LG Electronics, Motorola Inc., Palm Inc., Samsung, Sprint, Telefónica, Toshiba, Verizon Wireless and Vodafone, plan to ship Windows Mobile 6-based devices this year. Many of these partners are expanding large existing portfolios of Windows Mobile powered smartphones."

read full article at: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...oftwarePR.mspx

Are we thinking Fiscal or calendar year, and what kind of indication does that give for the upcoming q2 or q3 sprint treo?
    Palm could ship a WM6 device by taking the existing WM Treo hardware and putting WM6 in the ROM. You aren't guaranteed of a 320x320 or better device just because the OS is now capable.

I also imagine it will take a while for third-party software developers to support the new resolution. Until they do, the old 240x240 software might look pretty poor in any kind of emulation mode that might exist.
    Finally, Windows Mobile 6 cures the hideous affliction that has scarred the Palm Treo 700w: it now supports more screen resolutions including 320x320 and 800x480. Hopefully, we will never have to see a 240x240 screen device again.—
    To my mind the major problem of WM at 240x240 isn't that it looks too blocky it's that the menu bars and scroll bars take up too much of the screen. Anyone have any idea is this will cure this problem (by keeping the number of pixels in the menu bars the same and thus reducing their actual physical size) or will they just appear smoother because of an increase in pixel number?
    I expect more text will show up on a 320x320 screen than a 480x480 screen, because a 480x480 would use pixel doubling, while a 320x320 will probably not.
    Missed this before I posted the above. So you reckon that they won't use pixel doubling (pixel one-and-a-halfing? ) for the menu and scroll bars too? Grateful if you could explain why you think they won't.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast